1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Wound stasis injection foam.

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Warfusion, Jan 1, 2013.

• In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

I've seen in two movies a foam you can inject into your wound to prevent internal bleeding. It seemed amazing and a great thing to have in a fak for any outdoor activities or even everyday depending on your work. What you do is inject the foam into the wound and it expands and helps with bleeding give you a 72% chance of survival compared to an 8% from what I read. I can post some links later it's being worked on by one of the darpa contracts. Love to hear some opinions on it.

Sent from my Android toothbrush!
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

You don't inject it into "your" wound, it's 2 liquids that are injected into the patients abdominal cavity. It's still only a trial, but apparently looking good. I have only seen presentations so all very one sided but I don't think it will find it's way into civvie first aid kits any time soon as they have problems with analog training.
    Warfusion likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

From some of the articles i read it they said injected into the wound however I have read also what you said into the abdominal cavity on others. On the Darpa website they say exactly what you said. Thanks for the correction. :) http://www.darpa.mil/NewsEvents/Releases/2012/12/10.aspx I think while writing I mixed up what I wanted and what actually was. But I think there is another foam used in wounds be worked on as well not sure what its called going to have to look it up.
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

This is pretty cool stuff.

sydder Loaded Pockets

Seems like it would only really be of use to combat medics.

Coup de Grace BST/Marketplace ban

Yeah, just don't pour rubber cement down stab wound. Not good.
    Ha! Ha!
    Doric likes this.

Zargon Loaded Pockets

I know you would already be in pain, but wouldn't the foam expanding rapidly ( if its like the video) inside of you hurt like a b****

Coup de Grace BST/Marketplace ban

Also properly applying a tourniquet or clamping a vessel. It's for survival.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking it would be a good idea on a smaller scale for stabbings, or accidental injuries. If filling a the body cavity doesn't that make it a little more work on the people trying to help you. I think this idea is better for smaller wounds maybe as an artificial scab.

Zargon Loaded Pockets

Yah like a liquid bandaid that you would spray in to the cut ( I know there is a liquid bandied keep on reading) and then would become foam SLOWLY and seal a deep cut
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

The big problem is that it requires surgery to remove, and from the looks of it, they'll be opening you WAY up to explore and find it all. So, what might have been and injury that was treated locally, now becomes general exploratory surgery.

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

I kno you would probably already be saying this if you needed this treatment but...

Ouch!

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II
    • In Omnia Paratus

EDCRVa Loaded Pockets

If you could carve out a set of abs that may work for me
    ProjeKtWEREWOLF, Shur and Warfusion like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Thats why I see it as if they come up with a different type of foam it would be better for filling smaller injuries. Unless of course they have a solution that dissolves the foam without causing any harm to the person.

Dok J Loaded Pockets

Don't think it'll be useful on open wounds, but might be priceless when treating an internal bleeding.
    Sometimes (I'm thinking car and bike crashes) you find a patient on obvious shock with no external signs pointing where does that come from. The most accepted protocol is treating it as internal bleeding and fly low (IV fluids and fast evac for surgery).

Pain would be out of the equation if the patient is done enough to need that...

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I can't see practical use by non professionally trained medical personel . If you don't know what you are doing it could likely do more harm than good
    ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

double post