1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Wound Irrigation

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Benjamin, Jan 11, 2013.

Benjamin Loaded Pockets

What do you guys have in your FAK to irrigate wounds?
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Arm & Hammer spray saline, works great.
    keeper likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

10 5ml saline bullets, works good for eye was also

Gk911 Loaded Pockets

Irrigation syringe. Use any available potable water. Search amazon: Dynarex Piston Irrigation Syringe 60 cc
    deepsea likes this.

echo63 Loaded Pockets

5x 5ml saline vials

10ml syringe

3x 600ml drinking water bottles (in large backpack FAK) changed out regularly (every 3-6 months)
    • In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

5 20mL Saline

5 20mL Chlorhexidine
    Gollum24601 likes this.

smellypaddler Loaded Pockets

500ml and 1000ml bags of normal saline or 30ml pods of Chlorhexidine.
    MedicInTraining and Gollum24601 like this.

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

My dog is quite happy to clean up any wound,,,,,,, :p

This is not something I have encouraged,,, especially so when I think of where his tongue has been,,,, but when I've grazed myself or got light scratches and subsequently have noticed my dog giving me some attention,,, the wounds have never become infected and have healed up quickly.

I did some googling and found that some say the dog's saliva is anti-biotic and others say it will cause infection.

Whatever,,,,,,,,, Wiki has some interesting comments http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wound_licking
    Last edited by boyo17, Jan 12, 2013
    Yarak, forestgrump and keeper like this.

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

Is Hydrogen Peroxide Ok for this?

=RedFox= Loaded Pockets

Its a little old school, will damage tissue.

Slightly off topic, but someone above did mention eyes: Was teaching someone to eskimo roll in the pool at work yesterday. My eyes get real sore in pools, but I didn't grab my goggles as I wasn't swimming laps. Spent a little more time with my head underwater than I anticipated and my eyes were killing me by the time I got to the Ambulance garage for my volunteer night shift. Used a couple of little saline bullets but no relief.
    One of the guys on my team remembered a trick he'd heard about and we tried it out. Got an IV bag of normal saline and a nasal cannula (For those who don't know, thats the little tube you see people using that runs from ear to ear and sits just under the nose for oxygen administration. Has 2 little spouts that go in the nostrils).
    Cut the IV tube and cannula tube, stuck the IV tube a few inches into the cannula tube and sealed it with tape. Put the cannula across the bridge of my nose with a nostril spout on each side, fits perfectly! Sat with my head leaning back into the sink, hung the IV bag up and slowly ran a litre of saline solution through the cannula perfectly aimed into each eye. Worked a treat!
    paul_ems likes this.

Benjamin Loaded Pockets

Where do you get the saline? Or do you make your own?

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

They have mix your own powders I say and most others do already bagged is the best to buy You can buy it at online medical supply shops or if you can find one an instore one even amazon sells them.

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

Double post
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Sterility is a concern so prepackaged is preferred. BUT, in a pinch something is better than nothing.

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you are in the field and need saline solution then make your own,,,,,, it's better than nothing

Boil up about 1 pint of water to sterilise it and add 1 teaspoonful of salt and 1/2 teaspoonful of baking soda mix up until it's all dissolved and then let cool. It would be easier to carry a small packet of salt and baking soda than a pack of saline in your FAK.

Distilled / de-ionised / de-mineralised water bought for filling steam irons and batteries is often described as sterile so would be a good base for adding salt etc. if nothing else is available

I've never had a wound bad enough to need irrigation so I guess I'm lucky,,,,, anybody got a horror story to share??

HappyPuppy Loaded Pockets

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah,,, urine is sterile when used from the source

been doing some reading,,,,,, saliva is anti-septic as are tears
    • +2 Supporter

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

Hmmn, when I was mountain biking a lot more it was:

-Pluck the big sticks and rocks out by hand.
    -Big shot of water from the waterbottle to dislodge the small gravel and get the dirt to float to the surface.
    -Debride by rubbing vigorously with fingertips, keeping everything loose with a gentle stream from water bottle.
    -Little smear of Betadine ointment and a sheet or two of Tegaderm and you're good to keep riding.

You have to move fast, otherwise it hurts too much, I don't know why, but the Tegaderm really helps with the pain.

Anyone know of any effective wipes for poison ivy? I've crashed into a few patches, recognized it, and tried to wash with water to no avail.

Cheers, Ted
    Belush2 and FrozenMuffin like this.

Benjamin Loaded Pockets

Urine? Hmm, basically free and readily available. Not sure if that would go well if I had to treat someone. Thanks for the input guys! I live in a construction area, the houses around are still being built. Every now and again, I'll have a worker come up to me for a bandaid or treatment when I'm outside. I've seen some pretty bad lacerations. I'm just using a water bottle with a little hydrogen peroxide.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Skip the hydrogen peroxide. It kills living cells as well as bacteria. The dead cells then become food for bacteria.
    marcclarke and Flight-ER-Doc like this.