1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Winter Jacket/Coat?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by RNG, Dec 26, 2012.

RNG Loaded Pockets

I'm hoping to spend some money on a new winter coat, I have one that I'd like to get but I'm having a hard time finding out whether or not it's really warm. So honestly I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for a warm winter coat that'll last me for awhile. I'd like one with a decent amount of pockets and a hood.

http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Softshell-Jacket-Under-Armour/dp/B007T8UQAK/ref=pd_sbs_sg_5

This is one of the ones I had in mind, I am open to any suggestions.

ArnieJB Loaded Pockets

TAD Ranger Hoodie! I am a new disciple of Triple Aught Design after receiving the Ranger Hoodie as a Christmas present. It has been 25-34 degrees F and windy here in CT since yesterday and it has kept me very warm. I am sure others would chime in and concur.
    hatchetjack likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

EDCRVa Loaded Pockets

That Ranger Hoodie is bad (expletive deleted). Way to go brother!

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Columbia with Omni-heat lining.

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

KAMM knows what I'm going to suggest. You want something warm with a hood and pockets? Try out the Condor Summit. Stupid warm, more pockets than you know what to do with.
    Strayz likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Indeed. Got it as per his suggestion and it rocks my socks. Best jacket for layering as well. I normally wear a layer underneath. Nothing gets inside.
    Strayz and defuse kit like this.

herman30 Loaded Pockets

Layers, folks, layers! A winterjacket does not have, read SHOULD not be warm. It´s just the outermost shell against wind and moisture. Warmth comes from the underlying layers. The colder it is, the more layers.

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

[IMG]

Vans Merlo for me. Super stoked on it!

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Well, I don't know that a coat shouldn't be warm. I agree with the layers concept, but not every situation calls for layers. Moreover, many coats - like the Columbia that I suggested - are already multi-layer systems. Most people don't spend enough time out in truly cold weather to require a multi-layer system.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Plus-One on the Summit, just got one from Santy Claws. Got it's first workout the next day, walking the dog in howling wind and alternating snow, sleet and rain, not a drop got in. If it was colder, like in the 20s or worse, I'd add a thin fleece underneath, but I stayed nice and warm with just a long-sleeve tee underneath; it has a great warmth/weight ratio, but not too warm to wear in higher temps. I also like that it's very thin and form-fitting, I hate bulky outerwear. And the hood is very well designed and adjustable, it stood up to the wind just fine; with the collar all the way up, I felt like Kenny from South Park!

(Speaking of fleece, and layering... any recco's for a low-bulk lightweight fleece full-zip jacket that would work well by itself in cool weather, or under the Summit for the frigid stuff? Condor has the Alpha, I know...)
    Last edited by Gryffin, Dec 27, 2012
    KAMM likes this.

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

KAMM, how tall are you and what size did you buy? I'm 5'4" and about 145lbs. so not sure if a small would work or if I'd need to jump up to a medium..Thanks in advance for any help. I do like that Condor Summit!
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

I'm 5'2 120lb. And a small is a bit big on me. :)
    Dafabricata likes this.

Thanks a bunch! looks like a small will work for me too! Now to decide what color...

EDIT: I see they have an xs (extra small) but I'm thinking a small would be a better choice for me.

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I'm 5'5" 160 lbs. Small's going to be large enough for you to layer. I'm thinking of picking up an XS to wear solo though. Medium's going to be a bathrobe on you.
    Dafabricata likes this.

Thanks defuse kit! layering is a must for me.

herman30 Loaded Pockets

:hug: Perhaps it´s just me who don´t like coats with fillings (correct word?). Now that it´s winter I usually wear 4-5 layers on upper body. Long sleeve undershirt, wool sweater, safari-type vest with multiple pockets and finally a thin ventile-cotton jacket.

This combo makes me good to a temperature down to about -15 degrees celsius if I keep moving. When colder I will add a german army quilted parka liner under the jacket. .

Wintertime I usually don´t spend time outside standing still.
    Last edited by herman30, Dec 28, 2012

locknload223 Loaded Pockets

I see a lot of people here liking the tacticool jackets but don't discount the real mountaineering companies like Patagonia, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, and so on. With that I give you the Patagonia Primo Down. 800 fill Down, could be too warm especially if you're layering. I tried one on and it's a really nice coat but it is a little spendy. If price were no object, this would be my top choice.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-primo-down-gore-tex-jacket?p=30470-0-621
    [IMG]

I wear Columbia, Marmot and Mountain Hardwear jackets but am probably going to buy the Patagonia insulated Snowshot jacket as my hard shell.

http://www.wildernessexchangeunlimi...a/mens-insulated-snowshot-jacket-pid-6781.cfm
    [IMG]

You posted a soft shell. I have the Marmot Gravity soft shell and love it, the Super Gravity has a hood. I bought hoodless so it would fit better under a hard shell if I want to layer it. I've been wearing a fleece under this and have been pretty warm, it does an excellent job at blocking the cold wind.

http://www.amazon.com/Marmot-Gravit...56698248&sr=1-1&keywords=marmot super gravity
    [IMG]

While these are expensive examples, these companies put a ton of real world R&D to make sure their products work. I wear a Mountain Hardwear light sofshell over a base layer during low 30 degree winter hikes. Even though I warm up considerably on long climbs, I hardly sweat. The jacket breathes incredibly yet still keeps me warm. That is one of the main differences between many of these companies that produce ourdoor wear. Any company can stuff a bunch of insulation into a jacket to make it warm but it's the materials used and how it functions that counts. Water repellancy and breathability are essential in keeping you comfortable in really cold temperatures.

As stated earlier, layering is your best option. If you buy a hard shell you can mid-layer with a light down or synthetic fill jacket and adjust the layers as need when the temperature changes. I've become a complete weather weenie and get really cold so I layer up AND want an insulated shell.

Now, I am by no means bashing the tactical companies, 5.11 split off from Royal Robbins, but the big mountaineering companies have been doing this for a long time:cool:.

parnass Loaded Pockets

• In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I looked at some of those, but for those of us on a budget, but kinda hard on our gear (what can I say, I'm a clumsy oaf), most seem like a lotta $$$ for a jacket that doesn't feel as sturdy as the "tacticool" ones. My Summit cost $90, if when I get a cut or tear in it I'll get angry with myself; if I spent $350 on one of those mountaineering jackets, I'd bawl like a baby.

Hey, I could be wrong, those super-duper-light-weight materials might wear like iron. But frankly I can't afford to find out!

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Speaking of Carhartt ... I've had a blanket-lined Carhartt Chore Coat for years. If you don't need the tacticool or moutaineer look, the Carhartt coats are hard to beat. Mine has seen some serious abuse over the years (farm use) and keeps coming back for more. I think retail on the Chore Coat is $85 and they can easily be found for $70.