1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Who is making the best incandescents out there?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Sniperx7, Nov 12, 2012.

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

Basically what the title says. With all the LED lights I've been buying, I've forgotten the feel of the warm, soul-nurturing incans. Is the maglite platform still the best out there for ease of use, form factor, and run time? I'm not fond of large search/spot lights, though I've been looking at rechargeable options as of late too.

sx7
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

That's just about awesome and a half!
    So a question about solarforce lights, as I've seen them but never used them, do they ship from china when ordering from their site?

sx7
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

That link I sent you is direct from Hong Kong. There are several of us here that have bad Solarforce habits. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last time was that I didn't have something on the way from them. Normal shipping time is about two weeks, but sometimes faster. Otherwise, there are a few US sellers, with Lighthound being a good choice.
    Gnarly likes this.

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

Ah, I see. I'll have to mosey around and see where I can get the best price! :p

Thanks for your advice!

sx7

archimedes Loaded Pockets

My current favorite is the SureFire A2.

There are a few modders on the flashlight forums who have fabricated parts for older incandescent SureFires (A2, M6, etc) ... wquiles ( "PhD-M6" battery adaptor / voltage regulator), fivemega (bi-pin bulb adaptors, and many tube/bezel/host mods), calipsoii (A2 voltage regulator "ring"), and others.

Feel free to PM me for details :)

Lumens Factory is another good resource for SureFire-compatible (but rechargeable-friendly) incandescent lamps. Many of their products are also available at Lighthound.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

SniperX,

At the risk of sidetracking / irritating an EDCF member whose input I value:

Have you tried the rich warm glow of Nichia 219 LED's? Or the new ultrawarm B-7 XM-L's?

Like 'em better than the incans,myself. Won't look back.

{ After 30 yrs of stagerigging, I consider myself hypercritical of light tint. I'm not a flashlight techie, but light tint is either RIGHT, or it's tragic! }

Jake Royston & E1320 are a couple of the modders.

JMO.
    powerring, Blerv and thwippa like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

+1 on warm LEDs.
    Gnarly likes this.

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I recall reading those warm XML's can do about 400 lumens OTF. At least how they were being built in that specific p60. I would love to play with a hotwire but some of these LED's are making it hard to justify.

No disrespect or attempt to thread jack :). Looking forward to read more on Incans in this thread.
    Gnarly likes this.

calipsoii Loaded Pockets

In my opinion, every flashaholic should have at least 1 good incandescent in their collection. Fire up a 6P with some fresh batteries in it and you'll be shocked at the throw, warmth and vibrant colors. LED's have come a long ways, but side-by-side, I've yet to see an LED that can top even the lowly P60 lamp.

I have only 3 incans in my collection:
    • Surefire M6 (FM bi-pin socket w/ WA1185, wquiles 17670 battery pack)
    • Surefire A2 (FM bi-pin socket w/ Strion, multi-mode LED ring, RCR123 batts)
    • Surefire E2E (FM bi-pin socket /w Strion, 17670 bored body)
    I don't think I'll ever get rid of any of them, they're that good. These are lights from when SF was at the top of their game, producing high-quality modular hosts. With almost a decade on the market, all of these lights have plenty of after-market modifications available.

If you ever get the chance to head out on a dark night with a fully-modded incan M6 and <insert favorite LED light here>, do it. There's still really no comparison between the two.

Just remember to stock up on a few extra incan bulbs (LumensFactory makes nice ones) and a rechargeable battery solution (your wallet will thank you).

archimedes Loaded Pockets

You should try the E1e, too .... really wish I could find the now-mythical fivemega E-series bi-pin :frantic: - congrats!

scaru Loaded Pockets

I have a 7B tint warm XM-L in a P60. It is just like a incandescent light while still putting out around 600 lumens at 3 amps.
    Gnarly and Blerv like this.

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

I'll be sure to look into it! Are there any production lights with the B-7/7B XM-L emitter or just drop-ins?

sx7

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I don't think driven quite that hard as a production light. Dereelight has a 2.8a warm xml pill you can prob get in the DBS custom order.

They have this new search light that's bigger than the DBS. Avail in a T3 "warm" XML as well. The pill is removable like most their lights for a custom one if needed.

http://dereelight.com/xseacher.htm

Note: those lights take a pill screwed into the reflector. Often you can get a custom one made from like Nailbender and folks like that. Just gotta ask so they don't perm affix them.
    Last edited by Blerv, Nov 15, 2012

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

Ah! Options! I'll look into that too :p

sx7