1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

What additional costs go along with a new gun purchase?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by JImmy W, Dec 4, 2012.

• In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Glocks have 3 safeties. The block in the trigger, firing pin block, and a "drop safety" also preventing the firing pin from moving forward unless the trigger is depressed fully.

A Glock will only fire if the trigger is pulled.

Sent from a remote location using smoke signals.

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

Assuming you have big enough hands to hit the block on the trigger lol
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Precicely why one should always try out different sidearms before purchase.

Sent from a remote location using smoke signals.
    Idaho Gunslinger likes this.

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

Touche. It's an issue I didn't discover until I was doing draw and fire drills. It's really safe at that point.:p
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

My first sidearm was a Hi-Power clone. I did not put enough research into it and it was too heavy, unreliable (The clone part), and didn't fit right. The armorer for Seattle PD talked me into the Glock, and it just fit right. I have larger hands in normal proportions (I have an octave +3 span), so the thick grip works for me. I have a friend who is another large person like myself who has large hands but short fingers and the Glock is too thick.

Like shoes, ya gotta try them on first.

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Holsters, spare magazines, ammo (practice and SD). Targets, gun club fees, maybe a few spare parts.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

My hands apparently stretch and mold as needed. My Glock 21, Colt mustang, and 1911 are all equally comfy in my hands,

Have you tried any pistols with interchangeable back straps?
    Idaho Gunslinger likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I could use a single stack, but like the thickness of the double. I do appreciate the availability of interchangeable back straps.

Using a 1911 and a Glock, how do you deal with the different grip angles? I would think in a stress situation, you would want an angle consistent to all of your practice.

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

My first was an HK USP40C which I put several thousand rounds through before discovering 1911s.

Sent from left field using my telegraph

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

I've seen the issue somewhat mitigated by use of an arched mainspring housing on the 1911. I've also heard of people doing several practice draws in when they put the gun on for the day.

Sent from left field using my telegraph

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

I love that! Who needs a gun that fits them? Just make sure your hands will fit any gun! I sure wish that my hands were in the "stretch and mold" category. :(

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

BOTH.

JImmy W Banned

Well in California we have a little stricter rules some might say. I'll probably keep one in the tube with my safety on at home. Or maybe have the magazine loaded and in the mag, just not racked and ready to rock. I'm still a novice guys, you must understand!
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Are little kiddies around? If yes then its in a safe anyhow, so racking the slide to load probably doesn't matter at that point, but its also just as sage fully loaded.

Is there a dog to bark or other early warning system for intruders? Are you a light sleeper?

I don't have to worry about kids, and I'm sort of a heavy sleeper, so any gun I reach for needs to be ready to go with the hand that grabs it.

JImmy W Banned

So your saying, you grab the gun and pull the trigger? I'm getting the Beretta PX4 storm 9mm next Wednesday, I liked the extra safety features, maybe eventually I'll get a glock.
    • +4 Supporter

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

If you're getting a Glock, it doesn't have a "safety " to put on. As a novice, you don't want to have to rack the slide while some goblin is swinging a bat at your head. Keep your defensive weapons loaded and chambered, and get a quick open gun safe.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I grab the gun (which disengages the grip safety), then my thumb disengages the frame mounted safety, and then I would pull the trigger. The point is, I can do that all with one hand.

When the gun in this situation was a Glock 21, it was just pull the trigger.

BTW the gun is in a holster mounted to the back of my nightstand, where I can reach it while laying in bed. It used to be mounted to the bed frame, but that where the shotgun is now ;)

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Yes, we noticed, and yes, we understand. It's okay to be a novice so long as you're willing to learn. That's why the word 'Training' keeps coming up. We all started somewhere and only a couple of us were born experts. ;) You don't have to become an expert, you can take it as far as you like but you owe it to yourself and those around you to at least become proficient.

JImmy W Banned

What kind've training other than the basic hand gun training? Don't you think you can learn the training on your own? And read? Experience?

I'm waiting for my man cannon, I just got back and bought another 100 rds of 9mm, that makes a total of 175 rds that I'm preparing for, next Wednesday as a matter of fact!
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Learn on your own? Sorry, but no. Seriously, talk to the staff at the range, talk to people in your area that have gotten training, ask the NRA...etc. After you've gotten the basic safety down, you need someone to train you and observe your actual shooting. Trying to do this on your own is likely to result in bad habits that at best will make you a bad shot, and at worst can get someone hurt. You will end up more frustrated with ingrained bad habits.

BTW even after lots of training, many of us shoot a few hundred rounds a weekend or month, AND take refresher courses.