1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Want a G-shock, need recomendations

Discussion in 'Watches' started by outdoorsman196, Dec 24, 2012.

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

I just got the GR7900KG3 Olive Mudman for Christmas and I'm loving it so far.

wstamper Loaded Pockets

I use the G-Shock MTG-900. It is solar and atomic.
  1. Good for you dude!

Jay PS Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Mudman. I have a variety of watches including other Gshocks, Pathfinders, Luminox, and Citizens. When it's all said and done, I turn to the Mudman most often only wearing the others on occasion. The Mudman has all the features, is a tank, and looks great.

Coolio Loaded Pockets

As far as features go, my Riseman is my favorite G. Home time in every mode except for Atlitude Rec Mode. The Alti, Therm and Baro work well once you calibrate it and Alti need to be calibrated before your hike or whatever. THe only hit against it is that the CDT (countdown timer) is not settable to 1 second increments. Only to the minute.
    [IMG]

The 6900 series are classics. DW6900 on left and G6900 solar on right.
    [IMG]

Or how about the GD100MS-1. Very comfortable and has 4 time zone Mutli-time and World Time modes.
    [IMG]

Or maybe the "Orange King" GX56-4. It's big though, but I'd say it is the toughest of the G-Shocks with multiple layers of shock protection.
    [IMG]

Or another classic and a much smaller square frame, the DW5600.
    [IMG]

The thing about G-Shocks is that there are so many different models with so many different features that it can be overwhelming. But there is certainly a G for you out there. Finding it is the tough and fun part.

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The 5600 and 6900 series are the 'traditional' G Shocks - both relatively low profile, classic looks, fit pretty much all of your criteria and are tough as anything. The 'DW-' models are the basic battery powered quartz models, though there are also newer 'GW-' models with solar and atomic sync features.

Beyond those I quite like the AWG-101 personally as a not too large analog option, and watches like the mudman are always popular.

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

I'm an owner and fan of the GShock 5600 series watches, all Casio
    watches under < $100 are a wonderful value.

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

Yes >> The GW500A is a good one as well.

faca Loaded Pockets

GW-M5600 nothing better than that ;-)

Bauzen Loaded Pockets

+1 on the 5600 models. They'e my favorite being that I have smaller hands/wrists.
    They're tough, reliable, and I like that the solar atomic ones automatically set themselves every night.

I find it mind boggling that they can offer so much technology in a watch that cost under $100 - It can handle any outdoor activity you can throw at it, and never fail you unlike just about every other watch on Earth.

jimbogregs BST/Marketplace ban

Nice thread, thanks very much for the notes, I was slightly overwhelmed by the options out there for g-shock and since reading the suggestions above I have narrowed my options down to a black version of the GX56 and the olive green solar G5600.

Bauzen Loaded Pockets

The olive green solar g5600 has a negative display - it looks cool, but some people find it annoying over the long term.
    I suggest trying it out indoors and outdoors to be sure it doesn't bother you before committing to it.

Tom Slick Empty Pockets

+1 on the Riseman.

Just got it about a month ago, and it's loaded with features including solar and atomic. I also like the fact that it's not too big or small. Got mine for $140. Never thought I'd use the barometer feature, but it's actually pretty useful in predicting when the rain is coming.
    • +1 Supporter

MOD-u-LAR Loaded Pockets

Well Outdoorsman, I have two. The first one I got, honestly, because it is blue and :censored: looking. It is a DW6900CC. I was happy with it. Happy enough to buy another, this one white. It is a GLX6900. They were both the same price, 100$. The GLX is such a superior watch in all respects that I can't believe they are the same watch...or brand...or whatever. The point is the DW6900CC has so many flaws when compared to its cousin that I almost always wear the white watch, fashion be damned.
    I'm not going to review the watches but look at the model #s and make sure you get one that does everything you want. If you want a watch that's big and blue(or any of a whole rainbow of colors) go with the DW6900CC, it's bigger, chunkier than the GLX69000. Though the latter has 5x the number of functions. I've found I like the little things about the GLX, the fact that when you are setting timers or the watch itself you can scroll up AND down(I don't know why that one little thing sticks out and bugs me, but it does. Enough that I don't really wear the blue one.
    That's my two cents.
    • +1 Supporter

MOD-u-LAR Loaded Pockets

Well Outdoorsman, I have two. The first one I got, honestly, because it is blue and :censored: looking. It is a DW6900CC. I was happy with it. Happy enough to buy another, this one white. It is a GLX6900. They were both the same price, 100$. The GLX is such a superior watch in all respects that I can't believe they are the same watch...or brand...or whatever. The point is the DW6900CC has so many flaws when compared to its cousin that I almost always wear the white watch, fashion be damned.
    I'm not going to review the watches but look at the model #s and make sure you get one that does everything you want. If you want a watch that's big and blue(or any of a whole rainbow of colors) go with the DW6900CC, it's bigger, chunkier than the GLX69000. Though the latter has 5x the number of functions. I've found I like the little things about the GLX, the fact that when you are setting timers or the watch itself you can scroll up AND down(I don't know why that one little thing sticks out and bugs me, but it does. Enough that I don't really wear the blue one.
    That's my two cents.

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Stay away from the G-5600 G-Shock. That model has more reported hardware failures than most any other model of G-Shock. It has a very unreliable module. Go for the DW-5600, GW-5600 or GWM-5600 instead.

I personally prefer the GW-5600. It has the strongest antenna of most any model G-Shock yet produced, and the most aesthetically pleasing display. It has the largest digits of the 5600 series, which my aging eyes adore. It's wicked comfortable, and hybrid bracelets can even be found for it.

When I first bought it 10 years ago:
    [IMG]

After ten years of punishment:
    [IMG]

--
    sent via carrier pigeon from my secret hideout

Evil D Loaded Pockets

That's what I wear. Cheap, reliable, tough, simple. I really want the Military version, but i've read that the blacked out face and red lettering can be hard to read in many light situations and it's not the best EDC watch.

Ogre Banned

yeah, im not sure about the red lettering, but i have a blackout watching with white lettering and it can be a LITTLE bit harder to read. not so hard that i regret buying it though!
    • +1 Supporter

antman157 Loaded Pockets

MTG-900 during the week with my dress clothes

Mudman on the weekends