1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Tom's Smart Alec Redesign

Discussion in 'Tom Bihn' started by TOM BIHN Crew, Nov 16, 2012.

• In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber Meowderator

nuff said! lol
    Idaho Gunslinger likes this.

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

The clips shown in that video look different to me than what's on the pouch. In the video, the loop on the waist strap and the loop on the pack share the same space inside the clip. In the pictures of the new Smart Alec pouch the loops on the pouch and the loops on the pack are separated, which made me think the clips are solid on one side and the pouch loops are sewn around it.
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber Meowderator

As I understood it, the clips are affixed to the webbing loop on the new pouch, and straps on things like the Synapse, and that the backpack itself only has webbing loops that the clips attach to.

That was my thought as well but since there are a few different kinds of gatekeeper clips I wondered how they had set up the design to work. Certain clips would work with the size and spacing of the pouch to the lid, others might not.
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber Meowderator

I was waiting to see what TBCrew would say here, but they've gone home. Judging by the ones on my Synapse, their clips are specifically made for their bags. And the webbing loops are just big enough for them to slip through when removing them.
    • Sponsor MFR

TOM BIHN Crew Loaded Pockets

Hey everyone! Was mostly away from the forums for a few days. This time of year, it's pretty busy around here (read: all hands on deck.)

We use two different kinds of Gatekeeper clips. The kind that we use on the modular pocket for the Smart Alec is a "Double Gatekeeper". One side of the clip is sewn permanently to the modular pocket. The logic behind this is that if the Gatekeepers on that modular pocket were removable/the kind that slid out of webbing loops, you might lose them over time. With the Double Gatekeeper sewn-on, there's no way you'll lose them, but the Gatekeeper will still open and close just like any other Gatekeeper.

We don't use the Double Gatekeeper in every application because there's some bags that you probably don't want the Gatekeeper permanently affixed to: for example, the Checkpoint Flyer bag and case. Some folks remove the Checkpoint Flyer case from the Checkpoint Flyer bag and use either the case on its own or the bag on its own. Making the Gatekeepers 100% removable from both bags makes it easier to use one or the other on its own, without any extra hardware dangling.

Because we don't envision anyone using the modular pocket for the Smart Alec on its own, the Gatekeepers are permanently sewn on.

P.S. In the other TOM BIHN thread, someone asked if we would offer the Gatekeeper part for sale. We're working on a Parts page that should be up soon where one can order either the Gatekeeper or Double Gatekeeper or both.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    billybag and jujigatame like this.

Thanks for the clarification on the clips. It's would be my personal preference to be able to take all the clips off of the pouch but I can understand it would probably be more convenient for most folks to have them sewn on so as not to get lost. I tend to geek out on swapping plastic hardware. To that end, I'll be looking forward to ordering some Gatekeepers when you have that parts page up and running. ;)
    • Sponsor MFR

Sure thing. And your feedback re: being able to take off all of the clips is noted.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I will be doing a full review of the new Smart Alec on EDCF. Tom Bihn was kind enough to agree to send me the bag so I can put it to the test along with some of the accessories.

My first thought on the Smart Alec is that it would make a great mid sized travel and work EDC pack. However, the modularity of the new design opens up all kinds of possibilities and you guys know I can get pretty creative on that front. I might even be able to come up with a use or two that even Tom hadn't thought of. We'll see... the gauntlet has been laid down. ;)
    SAKplumber, ac7ss and billybag like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

You dirty dog.....Good for you.
    Looking forward to the review.
    Will you incorporate it into this thread or just link it?
    SAKplumber likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I started a separate review thread in the bags section. I will link it here also.
    billybag likes this.
    • Sponsor MFR

SAKplumber likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

Will it still be made with the 1050 as well or is that going to fade away?
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber Meowderator

Wow! I really like that blue one:D
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber Meowderator

Need any product testers? :rolleyes:
    TOM BIHN Crew likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

TOM BIHN Crew likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Man, that would look outstanding in Black. Sorry, like Batman, my tastes in pack exteriors tend to lean towards the dark side. :ninja:
    ArnieJB and billybag like this.
    • Sponsor MFR

We'll continue to offer it in both 1050 and the new 400d Dyneema/nylon.
    billybag likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

Cool thanks.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

A Gear Diary entry discussing the water repellency of the Redesign Smart Alec (and Tom Bihn bags in general).