1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

TOM BIHN

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by TOM BIHN Crew, Nov 8, 2012.

• In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

Smart Alec?
    Is there a way to attach a small pouch to the front, for quick gram stuff.
    Keys, smokes, that kind of thing, and if so what would you recommend?
    Those Gatekeepers might fit the bill for attaching.
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd Loaded Pockets

Can I use the Secret Code at the factory store? :)
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber Meowderator

Do you mean the EDCForum code the Tom Bihn Crew requests that you use so they can track how much bang they're getting for their EDCF advertising bucks? Then yes.
    Was there a joke there that I missed? Then nevermind;)
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber Meowderator

Mine won't be until Monday, but I can take joy in the fact that it just left Seattle, for its first road trip, 35 minutees ago:)
    36 minutes ago;)

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

The loops that the shock cord goes through look like they'd be fine for using Gatekeepers, Siamese slik clips or repair SRBs to attach straps or other items. I think it would depend more on finding the right pouch and seeing if you could create a setup that had good positioning and stability.

And thanks TB for the answer on selling the Gatekeepers. I'm definitely in for some of those and a few other accessories.
    billybag likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

Yep that is what I was thinking. I Hope there is a pouch that TB makes that wil work for that.
    If there is I am sold.
    I'l have to save funds but I am sold.
    • Sponsor MFR

TOM BIHN Crew Loaded Pockets

Certain things... I can't comment on just yet.

As for Conifer -- how about we send you a swatch of the fabric? Send us an email and request the swatch(es) you'd like + give us your mailing address and we'll send them out, no charge. In the meantime, here's a photo of our Large Cafe Bag in Conifer -- I think this is the most accurate photo of the color.

[IMG]

What putting "EDCForums" in the comments box during checkout does for your order: it's basically an affiliate program. The code helps us track which orders come to us via these forums and that, in turn, helps us support these forums. I
    • Sponsor MFR

Tom recently updated the design of the Smart Alec. We're working on new photos and an announcement to be posted soon, but since you asked, here's the details:

1) Tom nuanced the shape of the front of the Smart Alec. It's a little bit slimmer at the top, which means it zips easier, and the front holds its shape better, even if empty.

2) More loops were added to the front top of the bag. This means there's more places and ways to use the included reflective front bungee (remember: you can also remove it entirely if you don't want to use it) and in the future, we'll be offering accessory straps *and* modular pockets that attach to the front via these loops. Ride your motorcycle or bike or walk at night with your Smart Alec? Add a 5' / 1.5m Glowire kit which you can weave through these new loops. Scott, our Shipping Lead, has been testing both the modular pocket and the Glowire kit on days he commutes to and from work on his bike, and both are working out great.

3) Tom replaced the 1000d Cordura bottom of the Smart Alec with our 1050d high tenacity ballistic nylon: it's just as durable, but less abrasive and less likely to attract lint and dog/cat hair.

Last but not least: the 1000d Cordura back has been replaced with a Breathable Drylex Aerospacer 3D mesh back panel. Tom uses his Smart Alec as a dayhiking pack, and it's great for that, but one thing he always wanted to add was a breathable mesh back panel.

Photos of the updated design are coming soon. In the meantime, the Smart Alec in Black/Black/Steel in the new design has already sold out and is on backorder with an expected shipping date of late February 2013. Other colors (Black/Steel/Steel, Black/Cardinal/Steel, Black/Forest/Ultraviolet) are available now but will also likely sell out soon.
    billybag likes this.
    • Sponsor MFR

Sure thing. It might take us a few days, so stand by, but we're building a page where you can order Gatekeepers and other parts as well.
    SAKplumber and billybag like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

Is there an ETA on the pockets for the oputside because I'm sold.
    I'm going to start saving.
    You freaking kick butt.
    SAKplumber likes this.
    • Sponsor MFR

ETA on pockets: soon, but I don't know exactly when. We want to do a little more testing/Tom wants to do more pattern tweaking to make sure they're 100% perfect. I'll post an update here as soon as I know when they'll be up for pre-order.
    SAKplumber likes this.
    • Sponsor MFR

Yes! Just make sure to tell us that you found us via the EDCForums. Let me know when you plan to come by the factory... maybe we can give you a tour.
    Fukurai likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

I'll test them.
    Do you want them roughed up or beat to heck and back.
    TOM BIHN Crew and SAKplumber like this.
    • +1 Supporter

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Someone on your facebook page under the name Tom Bihn suggested that so I fired an email off to ya for swatches of the conifer, navy and olive. Those seem to be the most "masculine/subdued" colors besides black. That person also HINTED that other colors for the synapse MAY be available early next year but thats obviously not official and besides, I don't think I can wait that long. LOL
    SAKplumber likes this.
    • Sponsor MFR

Haha, ok, thanks for the offer! We'll see how many pocket prototypes we end up with next week.

As a side note/speaking of which... we currently use this to test all of our fabrics (before you get to buy anything made out of that fabric). It's pretty awesome. Here's a video of it in action:

SAKplumber likes this.
    • Sponsor MFR

That was me! We'll send out your swatches today or tomorrow. Can't say much about the new Synapse color(s) but they'll happen sometime in 2013.
    SAKplumber likes this.
    • +1 Supporter

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Ok cool. If that Conifer is as subdued as it seems in some of the pics then it will be fine. I've noticed that there is a "forest" color too but I don't know how they compare. Now then let me get to the question I'm sure alot of people would like to hear the answer to...

Would Tom Bihn be up for making "EDCF Edition" bags? That is MY curiosity only, I have no affiliation with the forums other than membership.
    SAKplumber likes this.

Syclone Loaded Pockets

My bag came today!:D Now I just need to fill it up!
    amdmaxx and billybag like this.
    • +1 Supporter

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

What color? Post some pics pleeeezze!

Syclone Loaded Pockets

Olive/Steel. I'll get some pics shortly. :)
    SAKplumber likes this.