1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Timbuk2 Yield Backpack...many pictures for your viewing pleasure

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by jujigatame, Dec 21, 2012.

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

This my new Timbuk2 Yield backpack. The choice of this pack was the result of tireless research and painstaking analysis. That is to say I spent a lot of time googling around the web with beer and snacks. Ultimately the size, style and setup I wanted were available in this pack at a fair price and as luck would have it Amazon ran a sale so it ended up being quite affordable. Enough introduction, let's get on to the pictures.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Focusing on the right side.

[IMG]

The webbing sewn on there is divided into two large sections. They can be used as a grab handle or an attachment point for clips or pouches. I'm aiming to take the pack to a store and see how Timbuk2's pouches will fit there.

[IMG]

The front pocket is decent sized. It's holding a flashlight and camera case in the picture. I might like the opening to be a little taller but for lights/knives/tools or small subloads I think it will be fine.

[IMG]

The other zipper on the right side is access to the main pocket. I like the look and style of top loading rucks but having to dig down from the top for something that may have fallen to the bottom just isn't convenient. Being able to get at any part of the main pocket without going through the top or having to take anything out is the biggest thing that sold me on getting this pack.

[IMG]

[IMG]

A nice little touch is the zipper garage.

[IMG]

On to the top pocket.
    [IMG]

Inside I've got one pair of pants, three t-shirts and a few pairs of socks rolled up at the bottom. I'd say the pack is good for maybe two days of clothes provided nothing is too bulky.

[IMG]

You can see the retention strap for the laptop sleeve. I don't have a laptop so I can't tell you what would or wouldn't fit in there, though Timbuk2 does offer a sizing guide on their website. I use the space to keep magazines from getting crumpled. It's just as well the pictures stay neat and tidy since this is probably the closest I will get to a McLaren. :rolleyes_revamped:

[IMG]

The front of the sleeve has a basic organizer section for pens, cards and such but I'm skipping that for now since I don't envision using it very much. There is a zippered pocket on there that could be handy for securing something you don't want to get loose but I'd rather pack a separate organizer for small stuff.

There is also a pocket on the lid good for stashing things like hat, gloves, sunglasses and a small snack.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Now for the straps and backpanel. The entire back is padded. You can feel it all the way across on the inside. On the outside you can feel that padding on the gray sections but the blue middle section has a semi-rigid plastic piece to prevent anything from poking you in the spine. The black padding panels are not that thick but the foam is a good density so it gives a fair bit of cushion.

[IMG]

The straps are sewn to short lengths of webbing rather than directly into the top seam. It does figure to give a bit more wiggle room but time will tell if it's a real benefit.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The front of the straps have another piece sewn on top of them similar to the side of the pack.

[IMG]

Demonstration of this feature apparently encourages one to live long and prosper. ;)

[IMG]

[IMG]

The back side of the straps has mesh covering.

[IMG]

A feature I didn't notice until taking the pack on and off a few times was the loops at the end of the straps. They're large enough to put a thumb through and get a good pull when cinching up.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Grab handle at the top.

[IMG]

What about these straps on the bottom?

[IMG]

Ostensibly they are for lashing something to the bottom of the pack like a rain shell or perhaps an umbrella. The thing is, though, they don't give all that much space when opened up.

[IMG]

Here's one pair of lightweight wool socks in there.

[IMG]

[IMG]

My thought would be to cut out the ladderlocks from their loops and put in some repair SRBs. Then trim the straps that are there and attach a useful length (maybe two feet) and run that through the SRBs. That way you could secure various size items and have quick access to get them in or out. That's a project for another day though.

Well, that's about it for now. I know this doesn't contain any information on how the pack carries its load. That is because the furthest I've had to carry it so far is from the house to the car. As I get a chance to use it more I'll report back with thoughts on comfort and durability. If you've got any questions please ask and I'll try to answer them.
    cowsmilk, Mumbojumboo and CheepSteal like this.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

Great review! Love all the pics! How does it carry when loaded up?

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

The straps on the bottom are for compressing the bag. You can put stuff there I guess, but only if you don't mind it getting dirty or roughed up.
    • +3 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I just ordered a couple of iPad cases from Timbuk2 for Christmas gifts. I'm always pleased with their stuff - really solid build quality and materials.

IzzyJG99 Loaded Pockets

I always enjoy their backpack designs. I've only had a few in the past, but I enjoyed them for a time. One really, really good place to find Timbuk2 bags cheap is TJ Maxx. Every year just before school starts (Early August) I go to TJ Maxx here and guess what? They'll have a few dozen sitting on the racks for 20-30 bucks. I snatched up a Hacker once that way.

Haven't put a full load in it yet or had to walk any distance with it, but I think the straps have a good fit overall so that bodes well.

True, but the bag isn't that thick overall. Personally, I don't envision the need to cinch the bottom all the way down unless I'm reenacting Bruce Willis in the ventilation shaft from Die Hard. It would be nice to have that option plus the additional length to hold larger stuff there if needed.

[IMG]

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... ;)

Yes, that is a good spot. I'd seen some Timbuk2 bags there a few years ago. Wasn't looking for a bag at the time but I remembered how good the price was. I checked again a few months ago when I was researching but no dice.

One small problem appeared with the sternum strap. After I got the pack I took the strap off and tossed it in a drawer since I typically don't use them. But after shooting the pictures I figured I should put the strap back on to take a few more and show it in place. Except one side of the strap would not snap back together. I looked at it and saw this.

[IMG]

Oops. It appears the female half of the snap pulled right out of its mount when I undid it. It's odd because when I took it off it wasn't like the pull was super hard and felt like it needed too much force, but there it is busted.

[IMG]

I'll email Timbuk2 after Christmas and ask for a replacement.

An update on the problem with the sternum strap. I finally got around to emailing Timbuk2 today to let them know about it, including the pictures I posted here. Within an hour I had a response apologizing for the problem and advising they'd send me a replacement. I replied with my shipping info and was told the new strap was packed up and should be in the shipper's hands tonight. Total time: not even three hours. Can't beat that. :)

I had the pack loaded up a bit more yesterday and today and found that the loops at the end of the shoulder straps are a bit hard to get a finger into for leverage when cinching up. Part of this is due to the webbing still being new and stiff. The fact that it was 25 degrees outside today and gloves were needed also didn't help. I'm thinking I will take some thicker cord (4mm) and add some extensions with a few knots tied in to give better quick grip capability.
    • +1 Supporter

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Awesome. I have a Swig and cut the bottle opener off first thing.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

I ran a Fenix holster through mine.
    I have never needed to use a bottle opener, much less needed one right on my chest.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

Only two days? Judging by the 30 L capacity, you should be able to go about a week's worth.
    I fit a week's worth of clothes into a small Hemlock (slightly less than 30L) along with a laptop and various other electronic doodads.
    Granted, the pack was practically stuffed to the gills, but hell, I'll do anything to avoid checking luggage (still fit into the overhead :D) .

Perhaps two days undershot the mark but it does depend on what you're trying to put in there. If it's just shorts and t-shirts for a trip to the islands versus lined blue jeans and thermal tops (which I've needed here the past few days) then yeah, you'd probably make the better part of a week. Granted, I am not much of a traveler so my expertise in maximizing bag space for that purpose is lacking.

I cut off the bottle opener and replaced it with a d-ring from a flashlight sheath I don't use. The webbing for the opener is over 1" so most of my plastic hardware wasn't going to fit neatly. The piece I used is wider than the webbing but that's okay since it won't have much play. I cut a 1/8" gap at a slight angle in the middle of the bar and voila.

[IMG]

Also, I got the shoulder strap extension pulls sorted. About 2' of 4mm cord tied with an overhand knot at each end and a double overhand variation in the middle. Easy to grab and get good leverage to cinch up. I wish the color of the cord was more complimentary to that of the bag but it can always be changed out later.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Mumbojumboo and stax like this.
    • +1 Supporter

I never could get my thumbs through those loops. That is a good idea.
    • +1 Supporter

oh, I need a bottle opener alright but on my keys.:D

Dusty Loaded Pockets

Nice looking bag, seems to tick all the boxes while managing to look sleek and non tactical :)

thanks for taking the time to do the review :D
    powerring and jag-engr like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

Timbuk2 has a way of doing that, without getting into the pricerange of some of the high-end (semi)customs.
    powerring and jag-engr like this.

If you want to take the plunge on one now would be a good time to try it. I was looking at the Timbuk2 site this morning and they've got a lot of stuff on sale. My backpack is almost half off regular price in three of the four colors.

The replacement sternum strap came today and I'll try to add some pictures of it later on. Camera battery is not cooperating at the moment.

EDIT: Got the pictures sorted.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Last edited by jujigatame, Jan 12, 2013