1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

The Quantum DD (and other versions)

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by thePlumbah, Nov 6, 2012.

Fate0n3 Loaded Pockets

Figure this has to go with the DD. Does anyone have any Norland61 they would sale? I can't get the guy who sales it on another forum to respond. Last I heard he has been super busy since the weather issues in the south.

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Dude!! That dangler on the left is INCREDIBLE! Did you drill the holes too? Where is that from?
    gstojinovic likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

EDCRVa Loaded Pockets

[IMG]
    Just picked up the D2.
    Take2, Blerv, SAKplumber and 4 others like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

Well I am not on call anymore, and in fact, got the day off after all, so I took the Quantum apart and put it back together...

I found the perfect tool for removing the retainer ring:D
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Once I got it apart I inserted the lens(disc) and dropped the o-ring in on top of Forces it into place with a pencil eraser. Here you can see it before I put it into place. Its a very thin o-ring.

[IMG]

Then the lens...

[IMG]

Then the led...

[IMG]

Still doesn't work though:(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    gstojinovic likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

We have been passing around some Norland's that belonged to KAMM. I believe Tower has it now, and will be sending it to anouther Forum Member after he's gotten everything done with it. He is subscribed to this thread so you could wait and see what happens or PM him. You can also use silicone from what I understand...
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Loaded Pockets

What are those little nubs on the board? Do you think the light would work if they were repositioned?

toemke Loaded Pockets

Have you tried it without the QTC pill?

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

Good you got Xmas off. I'm on call until Thursday morning. I'll have to try the paperclip tool if I take mine apart next time.

Sorry to hear that. If you feel like taking it apart again you could test the led with a multi-meter. Put the mm either on "test diode" or "continuity" and the led should have a faint glow if it's still good. There's not much to these lights to go wrong. No electronics so it sounds like either the led is broken or it has come off of the pcb or maybe the qtc isn't seated properly. If not I'm sure the warrenty is still good.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

IDK, I thought maybe there was a certain position for them but didn't see anything obvious.
    IDK how to do that.

I did get an email from Craig @ Illumination Supply. He thought I should just be able to take it apart and re-install the oring and it should be fine...I emailed him back and linked him to my pics...hoping if there was something wrong he would see it. I am curious how tight the retainer ring should be installed. When the oring came out the led end of the unit rattled...when I put it back together I tightened it down till there was no rattle...perhaps too far. I didn't try to tighten it before I removed it so I really don't know how tight it was in the first place.

I'm hoping I get a response soon, before I take it apart again:)
    • In Omnia Paratus

All I know is that if you turn the battery portion of the light too much it could damage the LED.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

My light shipped today, weeee! Didn't expect that.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

By turn it too much do you mean too far? Thats my guess as to why it has failed....I tightened it too much. So what I'm asking is if you think I physically broke something.
    • In Omnia Paratus

The more you turn it the brighter it gets and I read that if you turn it too much the battery pushing too much against the LED could damage it.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

Oh bother...:unsure:
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

Fixed your post.
    Hope you get it to work or get it replaced SAK
    SAKplumber likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

Angus has offered to help..but I want to test it first:)

Fate0n3 Loaded Pockets

Welp received my DD today, first impressions this is pretty bright. Does anyone have any problems when first turning it on the light flickering a bit? I have the battery in the charger now see if that helps
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

Yeah, mine flickers a bit too. Not a great deal though.

toemke Loaded Pockets

I just reread your post an it seems you assembled it wrong! the o ring goes under the lens (between the rim and the lens).
    The qtc pill is the little black squared tab behind the battery, you can take it out with tweezers. By this the light will turn on at max output right away.
    Also an issue can be if the ring is not tight enough, you have to use some force.

toemke Loaded Pockets

That seems to be normal, a problem would be if the light flickers after you've set it.