1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

The 'Peak Eiger Flashlight' Thread

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by olletsocmit, Nov 29, 2012.

• +4 Supporter

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

A group buy to get who to build it? Tell you the truth, I don't see if flying. There's already a thread here for a Ti Preon clip. They need 50 people interested and there's only 36 posts in the cpf thread. I wish it were different but that's where it stand as of today.

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I just got my hi cri eiger. Awesome light. I need some rechargeable AAA. Preon clip works but I have a dark sucks clip coming.
    Gnarly likes this.

olletsocmit BST/Marketplace ban

Please post some pics of your light for us! Also some beam shots against a white wall.

I got these batteries the other day, amazing! AW brand are the best Li-Ion batteries out there. They will make ur Eiger run at roughly 220 lumens.

Here is the battery link to the batteries:
    http://www.lighthound.com/AW-10440-Unprotected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_94.html

And here is the charger:
    http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire-36-volt-lithium-AA-or-AAA-Battery-Charger_p_2269.html

| Sent from my iPhone 4S |
    Gnarly likes this.

Gnarly likes this.

Please post pics of your Peak lights with lanyards. I really need some lanyard ideas for my new Eiger. Please post!

• +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

The light should not matter as much as the lanyard itself? I'd venture to guess you could get better results looking at lanyards first and picking one you like. The only thing that matters as far as the flashlight goes is the attachment point.

We have established several repositories for lanyard pictures on this forum. Easiest, usually cheapest and most fun are DIY paracord. Go here or here, and if you decide on using paracord but don't want heaps left over, go here. Fetch a beverage, that's quite a bit of browsing. :p
    angusW and hiljentaa like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Amazing how often just the right item can be found by jumping outside the proverbial box.....searching @ McMaster Carr, or MSC Direct are two good examples, IMO.

Never knew those washers existed.
    Need one in the largest size! to solve a sling attachment problem.
    Thanx! for the link & pix.

I have decided that I think I am going to return the Eiger and get either a Logan or a El Caption. The Eiger is just way too weak with a regular AAA battery. It's nice when I use Li-Ion but after about 10 min on high it starts to dim and I need to switch batteries. It's kind of a pain for me.

I want a light that I can run protected batteries in. Not sure if I should go with the El Caption (AA) or the Logan (123)

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Will the Eiger run well on Lithium Primary AAAs?
    Gnarly likes this.

Blerv Loaded Pockets

What kind of AAA are you using? Output will be limited due to voltage but runtime should be good for non-alkalines (Eneloop, Energizer Ultimate, etc). A Li-ion 10440 has cruddy capacity even compared to a RCR123 which is less than a CR123.

It's mostly a problem of battery tech. If you can spare the extra size a Logan or El Cap will be better. If not an Eiger is tough to beat.
    Gnarly likes this.
    • +4 Supporter

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

That's why I carry more than one flashlight on me at all times. The Eiger is not a long term flashlight. I'm not using it for large output. It has all the output I need.
    Blerv likes this.

What kinda batteries are u running in your Eiger?

• +1 Supporter

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I got one last night out of the mail. Went with the Ultra with a stainless steel body, the narrow beam pattern optic, the neutral white LED, and the keychain tail. It literally came in the mail the VERY next day after ordering. Gotta love ordering from local businesses! I love the tint. The emitter takes a little force to twist but I'm sure I'll get used to it and it's the brightest keychain light I've ever owned even with the Neutral tint (not sure how bright the Neutral is but I'm pretty sure it's not QUITE 200lm). Overall I really like the light. Went with the stainless to avoid the war torn look on my keys. Looking forward to seeing how it holds up!

I honestly loved my Fenix E15 better then my Eiger. I def don't think that the Eiger was with 3x as much as the E15 for sure!

I am thinking that I may just retune the Eiger and not even get the Logan. Will battery life suck with the 123 Logan if I use regular 123's.

Also how will the battery life compair between these 2: AA el caption with AW Li-Ion vs 123 Logan with reg 123's

• +4 Supporter

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

I'm still on the original alkaline that came with it. I just measured it... 1.191V which I figured as the max output isn't what it was when I first got it, but the thing is I don't use the max output a lot. I use this light when I go to and get up from bed so I don't wake my wife. Other times it gets used is when I'm reading a bedtime story to my daughter or looking for something in a cupboard. If I'm looking for raccoon's in the backyard or walking a trail at night then the QuarkX 123² is used.

I know you can run a 10440 in the Eiger and the thought crossed my mind to use one but there's no point in doing that for me. This light does exactly what I want. It's not a searchlight, just a small edc flashlight.
    Blerv likes this.

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Well the Eiger with a lifetime warranty costs more to make in America than China. It doesn't make it "better" but that's a fact of economics.

The Peak has more levels for more accurate current use than a multi-mode light. I don't know how it can be compared with a 350mah 10440 to a CR123 light with 1300-1500 mah.

As for the Logan123 vs E15? The Peak uses a Cree XPG2 R5 instead of a XPE R3. It's more efficient but likely will drain quicker on full high. With a RCR123 or IMR16340 it should be twice the output though. With a sub .2 lumen moonlight vs 10 the Peak should outlast it by a long shot too.

Generally cr123 or 14505 (AA size primary) will last longer than 4.2v power. More capacity and drivers will draw less current. The benefit of course is recharging them and more potential output due to voltage. I run a IMR16340 in my Logan and its a torch even at High CRI; if cool white it would be amazing. I just charge the battery every few days at work on my Cottonpicker.
    Last edited by Blerv, Dec 30, 2012
    angusW and Gnarly like this.

I finally found a nice AAA battery holder. It took a while to find one of quality. My brother actually got them for me thru one of his vendors. They fit in this one nice and snug. I am going to keep this on me or in my car so when my Li-Ion batteries run low I can switch. And I have 2 regular alkaline's in case I need to run the light longer. Perfect to keep in my car glove box.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I would really like to see more pics of everyone Eiger's!!!

angusW and Blerv like this.

Ok I did some testing... Thought this might help some of you, sure helped me.

I am using AW 10440 Li-Ion batteries

Freshly off the charger - 4.16v
    [IMG]

After 5min on high - 3.84v
    [IMG]

After 9 min on high - 3.73v
    [IMG]

After 13min on high - 3.66v
    [IMG]

I thought this would also help some people. Both of these batteries are brand new below:

AAA Alkaline battery - 1.59v
    [IMG]

AAA Ultimate Lithium - 1.79v
    [IMG]

Blerv Loaded Pockets

That makes sense. I'm not sure how hard the Eiger driver is pushing the XPG but would guess at the very least .7a or 700 mah. That would only give about half an hour from 4.2 to 3.6/3.5v. If it's pushing closer to 1a the 15 or so minutes makes sense according to this thread.

The long and the short is tiny batteries with high voltage make small lights VERY bright for not a whole lot of time :). If my Macs SST-50 EDC at 2.8a and a 550mah IMR1650 has more than about 20 minutes I would be surprised. If you crank the throttle it's really fun but comes at a price. :(

snwman13 Loaded Pockets

ok so ive read through this whole thread but nowhere has anyone said where to get one of these where do i get one