1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

The Official Knots Thread!

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by olletsocmit, Nov 17, 2012.

• +1 Supporter

olletsocmit Banned

This is called a snake knot correct? Any other names for it? I'm trying to find a good tutorial.

[IMG]

| Sent from my iPhone 4S |
    Francisco Pinto likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

As confirmed by two people here and a third now, yes it is. Tutorial can be watched here:

The most difficult part about that one is the initial tie to start it off. Once you get that the rest is repetition until you run out of cord. :p Looks really nice for little effort.
    Francisco Pinto and OreoGaborio like this.
    • +1 Supporter

olletsocmit Banned

[IMG]

My first attempt, came out decent.

Francisco Pinto and dewildeman like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

That particular knot pissed me off because, for the longest time, I could tie it but forget the tie the next day. Had to keep looking it up and double checking my progress. I think it is memorized now.

Lookin' good. Any luck with the snake knot as of yet? Would give the lanyard a bit more fiddle factor. Unless you're using the bead as a choke, maybe you could try seating it with a snake knot?

Francisco Pinto Loaded Pockets

to me the idea of me being the diamond knot
    • +1 Supporter

olletsocmit Banned

I just learned the Snake knot tonight. I am does this knot stay tight at the bottom or is here something I should do to keep the last one tight? Seems like it could get loose easily at the bottom.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Kopfgeist and Francisco Pinto like this.

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

A small bit of hot glue or CA glue under the last crossovers of the knot will lock it in place. If you need to undo it down the line, you will need to cut it.

ATB,
    Sam
    • In Omnia Paratus

Or just fuse the ends together. Should be enough to hold the knot at least. Don't have any hot glue handy around here and had to do that myself. :p
    • +1 Supporter

olletsocmit Banned

[IMG]

Kopfgeist and Francisco Pinto like this.

Dirt Rickler Loaded Pockets

While learning rigging, my love of knots and rope-work was reawakened from my scout days. The number one resource I found was The Ashley Book of Knots. This book is so ubiquitous in the sea-faring and knotting communities that many knots are referred to by their ABOK# (A-shley B-ook O-f K-nots).

Not only a good place to start, but the best place to end up.
    stax likes this.

Jovan Loaded Pockets

All your pics are great, but what is this one??

Sent from my Apple I

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Those are wine corks covered with globe knots, tied using ventian blind cord, otherwise know as "Handy Hundreds" from R and W Rope Warehouse. The yellow one in back is a combination of gutted paracord and blind cord. The instructions of the globe knot came from a book by Don Burhuss, Globe Knot Cookbook, available on his web site. www.knottool.com
    stax likes this.