1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

The Commander. Metro's Super Charge

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by metropolicity, Dec 2, 2012.

• +2 Supporter

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

Yah, i ended up using a ball mill 7/32 and lotsa oil to keep it cool.
    • +2 Supporter

Shapeways is letting me know that my T&T grips have shipped!

I should be getting them in a few days.
    • +2 Supporter

Yah!!! The package is at my door, but I am out at dinner. Pics when I get home!
    vegassprky likes this.
    • +2 Supporter

Ok....

So I said no one wins on the first try, I was right.

The grips work great, but in my confusion and excitement, the hole for the rivet was designed into the wrong side!

there is also a bit of wackiness with the T&T holder, there is just not enough height for the toothpick on THIS round.

Here are some pics.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

See how the jimping would be more useful if it was on the plier end of the handle.

[IMG]

The bit holder was also an interesting experience, these really would benefit from real injection moulding, the tolerances and minimum wall thickness of RPing just won't allow for the thin features that it needs.

[IMG]

[IMG]

This is how is SUPPOSED to sit. The jimping forward.

[IMG]

I am considering heavily moving this project into a Wave body, the thinned out TI scales are very sharp and Aren't performing as well in use (the last week has been a good tester). This also opens the floor for a "Master" Wave project with the concurrently designed shears. This completing a Master and Commander EDC tooling duo.

If I do move to a Wave, I'll be milling out some of the blade cover for the blade exchanger, finding a way to adapt the pen into the Wave body and some how sneak the T&T somewhere else.

The grips with NO additions (like the bit holder and T&T) would be an awesome feature.
    • +2 Supporter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100thousandquestions/8292830036/#

A bunch of new developments today. The 1/8" and 3/16" ferro rods came in today. Very cool.

I have also decided to move this project into a Wave, as mentioned in the previous post. The thinned out TI scale is just too thin.

First order of business, fitting the blade exchanger. Milling out some of the blade cover, the BE dropped back in like it was meant to be there. The surface of the BE and the handle are flush, bonus.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I'll tackle the ferro rod, pen and tweezer a bit later.
    • +2 Supporter

Here is the 1/8 rod testing, it'll spark fine!

Here is where I plan to put it, in the ridge of the scissor pocket

[IMG]

[IMG]

AK Adventurer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bummer about the grips and bit holders, but I have no doubt you'll figure it out!

I was gonna cut that area out, but figured it would leave it too loose to stay closed... Might have to go back and re-do mine like this, since its a little too tight as is, a pain to open sometimes.

So, with the BE closed, you get enough tension on it from just the liner lock against it, to keep it closed (without the frame area gripping it)?
    • +2 Supporter

And the pivot tension too.

I haven't buttoned it up yet, but it's pretty close.
    • +2 Supporter

Ok. Major update.

Spend sometime today doing some prelim assembly.

Transplanting the goods from the Charge TTi Commander into the new Wave Commander proved to be somewhat of an adventure. I remember why I liked the wave over the TTi, everything about it just more compact and rigid.

Here are some over all shots and I'll explain further.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Lets talk blade exchanger, the previously fitted BE Locked up great on the new wave body but a cut out needed to be made to accommodate it.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Why are the pivots different? They are actually pivots from a surge. Unlike the Charge, the wave's pivots are independent from the handles/scales. The increased thickness of the BE and scissors required me to use some longer barrel pivot pins. While the BE pivot was good as is, the one holding down the scissor abs blade needed a tiny bit of adjustment.

[IMG]

A great spacing when opened up. I'll be tweaking the grip plates and getting them done in stainless.

The inside tools aren't that crazy, I did however swap the standard rebar awl for my own concave edge one.

[IMG]

The otherside is a can opener (unknown replacement right now) and second bit driver.

[IMG]

And here's a random photograph of my dog wearing a hat.

[IMG]

thePlumbah Meowderator

I really like the LM Wave. Thats, however, is totally awesome. Totally.
    KAMM likes this.

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Man, that looks INCREDIBLE!! I'm gona need that done for my wave to go in the Skinth! :p

That blade exchanger is a must have-new on the to buy list. I like the look of those pivots on the Wave!
    • +2 Supporter

It's more that they are safer. More pivot to spin around for the blades.

Oh nice! Well that makes sense....I haven't handled a surge so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in movement :p
    • +2 Supporter

They are longer. The surge is a thicker and larger tool
    Cornholio2188 likes this.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

Love the MT but that poor puppy, really cute though.:)
    • +2 Supporter

She's fine...

[IMG]

She even grew a mustache for November.

thePlumbah Meowderator

^^She got an "A"!^^
    vegassprky likes this.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

• +2 Supporter