1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

TARFU's Tom Bihn Smart Alec Review (Picture Heavy)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by TARFU, Dec 7, 2012.

ArnieJB Loaded Pockets

Brian....you can go ahead and blame him! He is directly responsible for my TAD Ranger Hoodie AND Tom Bihn Smart Alec purchase! ;)
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Hope you're not married Arnie. Otherwise, there might be yet another woman out there using my image for target practice at the local shooting range...

ArnieJB Loaded Pockets

I am married with 2 daughters. But, luckily for you, none of them frequent this forum. ;)
    TARFU likes this.

BrianEDC Loaded Pockets

Great review! Man, I am so tempted ... and I don't even like 2 strap backpacks very much.

The Smart Alec, Synapse, and Brain Bag are all calling, in rotation.

But I am now wondering about a co-pilot in the lightweight material as an alternative to my black clad, heavy fleet.

But, I digress ... and await part 2: The EDCing.
    ArnieJB and TARFU like this.

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

TARFU, where'd you get the wide accessory straps? They aren't listed on the TB website anywhere.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

They aren't available yet for sale. I will ping the Tom Bihn Crew to find out if they have release date scheduled.

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

So, did they send you the ones with your bag for the review, or where did you get yours?

BrianEDC Loaded Pockets

They just posted a pic of the Smart Alec in black, navy & Iberian over at the TB forums - notable for it having the shock cord removed and the forthcoming straps included.

ArnieJB Loaded Pockets

Brian, I was going to get that color combo, but I opted for the Black/Black/Steel in the end since it will go with everything and I ordered all of my accessories in steel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BrianEDC Loaded Pockets

Several of the combinations seem striking. I'm thinking Black/Black/Wasabi or Steel/Steel/Wasabi.

Patiently (or not) waiting for Tarfu's part 2 update.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

[IMG]
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

You're probably not going to see anything like this over at Tom Bihn Forums... ;)

[IMG]
    SAKplumber and BrianEDC like this.

BrianEDC Loaded Pockets

Probably not. What pack is that strapped to it?
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

It's an MSM Stealth Admin Pouch connected to the Smart Alec's lower loops via 1" and 1.5" single Gatekeeper Clips. BTW, the Wide Webbing Accessory Strap above it has an ITW Web Dominator taming the excess strap. I mention that because it was being discussed in one of the other threads.
    BrianEDC likes this.

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

Did you happen to try out the Stealth with the accessory straps on and just looping the malice clips over them? In other words, do you think the accessory straps are saved to allow the Stealth to be moutes in such a way?
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Sorry Chiro, are you asking if the Accessory straps could be used to mount the Stealth to the pack instead of the Gate Keeper Clips? Just want to make sure I understand your question.

BrianEDC Loaded Pockets

I couldn't take it anymore, and have ordered a black/black/wasabi smart alec, with assorted accessories. This way I get a birthday gift I really want.

Thanks, Tarfu. :p
    ArnieJB and billybag like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

LOL. I think you'll be pleased. Happy Birthday my EDC Brother! :Juggle:
    billybag likes this.

ArnieJB Loaded Pockets

That's awesome Brian. What accessories did you order?

BrianEDC Loaded Pockets

I got a Snake charmer (wasabi), Freudian slip, small Travel Stuff Sack (wasabi), an organizer wallet and some straps. And a sternum whistle.