1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Stop changing your oil!

Discussion in 'Travel' started by thePlumbah, Dec 30, 2012.

wildborego Loaded Pockets

make sure your changing the filter, i do.

i still still change my oil is 3000, it cost me 15 bucks for semi syn oil and a oil filter

willydigger Loaded Pockets

Learned that lesson with my very first/self-taught oil change. Scared the crap out of me.

Regarding oil, I change mine quite regularly. It's the curse of having a flat tappet engine on my I6 Wrangler. Also being the 2005-06 version we have a engine flaw that IMO requires not only regular changes, but higher quality oil. I would never go 10K between oil changes.

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

Hey Willy

You might want to look at a ZDDP additive or one of the oils from Brad Penn that still use it. Most of the new motor oils are formulated under the assumption that all engines have roller cams. It's a big problem in classics, a little like the valve seat recession thing from removing lead, it sneaks up on you slowly but the end results are expensive bordering on catastrophic.

Cheers, Ted
    SAKplumber likes this.

willydigger Loaded Pockets

I'm using M1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil. It has the highest formulated ZDDP content. It's for gasoline engines too and has been doing fine. The ZDDP talk gets pretty heated on the Jeep Forum. :D

Thanks for looking out!
    Syclone1436 likes this.

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

My friend went 10K without changing his oil. His engine block shattered on the freeway.
    I change mine about every 6-7k.

Syclone Loaded Pockets

Without changing or checking? ;)
    SAKplumber and jacobwilson99 like this.

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

Gotcha. ;) The latter.

BigEd Loaded Pockets

I do oil changes every 3,000 miles.

Had an 1988 Volvo 740 turbo that I put over 300,000 miles on it. When I sold it, there was 476,000+ miles on it.
    Also had a 1979 Chevy 2wd crew-cab pickup, that I converted to 4wd back in 1991(?) and replaced the old tired 454. I sold it when the Gasoline speculation started in 2005 (it got 4 city / 9 highway). It had over 700,000 miles on it.

I currently have a 2001 4wd Dodge 2500 pickup with 127,000 on it. Previous owner ran ONLY Mobile 1 synthetic oil in it. When the Plenum gasket went on it at 110,000, I pulled the intake manifold and it still looked brand new, zero sludge. (I am a believer.) We have a waste oil furnace at the shop, so the old oil does not go to waste.
    Gnarly likes this.
    • +1 Supporter

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Several years ago, Consumer Reports Magazine undertook a long term test of oils and change intervals. Selecting several vehicles from a New York City taxicab fleet, a type of driving they considered among the most severe on lubricants, they stripped down the engines and miked all the parts. At 3000 miles, they again took apart the engines, miked them again. No change. The cars were then sent out with the same oil until 5G, followed by the same procedure, also no wear detected. I think they ran some of the test cars up to 10,000 mi., at which point there was some wear found, although not severe.
    At a later time I came across some criticisms of the test procedure, questioning the validity of its results. So, I don't know, but this is the only comprehensive test of oil change intervals I am aware of.

wyesguy Loaded Pockets

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned. On a new car still under warranty ALWAYS follow the service schedule to the letter! My wife had major engine troubles at 75k. Still under waranty. They wouldn't cover it because ONE oil change was 1000km late and they said that caused it and voided the warranty.
    SAKplumber likes this.

dcmassena Loaded Pockets

I've had my mower for about 10 years and its never had an oil change or tune up. I check the oil occasionally to make sure the level is fine. That is the best push mower I've ever had. Never fails to start up after one or two pulls.

My car and truck both get oil chnages aroun 10k. My 2011 F150 is just about due for its second oil change at nearly 20,000 miles. My old 1985 Toyota pickup got an oil change about every 12 to 15 thousand using synthetic oil. I don't own that truck any more, but I've heard it is still going strong. It had over 200,000 miles on it when I got rid of it 7 years ago.
    Fabregas485 likes this.

Yarak Loaded Pockets

Last time I changed my wife's car (then girlfriend) oil in an apt. complex parking lot, I got a lot of weird looks and some very mean words.

elkhills Loaded Pockets

I check my oil (under the hood) every 3 or 4 times I fill up. When it starts to turn darker than golden brown I figure the filters not cleaning it up well enough anymore and its time for a change.

I check my air filters but they never seem dirty. I think I've changed one in a car 20 years. My dirt bikes are a different story.

Interesting, I read an article earlier today waiting for my new tires to get put on; it said that Air Filters are designed to run a little dirty, that the dirt layer acts as a sort of outer filter. I'm not necessarily endorsing that theory, just passing along what I read at the tire shop.

AK Adventurer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I change mine twice a year, roughly every six months, regaurdless of mileage. My average 6 month mileage is around 10k though, Sometimes as little as 5K.

Two reasons; different oil for different seasons, and its an old engine, on its second rebuild.

If I run 10w30 in the summer it thins out too much for the worn engine, my oil pressure drops to around 15psi in the heat, and if its really hot, it drops further and the top end starves for oil/excessive valve tap etc.. So I run 10w40 or straight 30wt. in the summer. But anything thicker than 10w30 in the winter makes cranking and cold starts too hard/impossible, so thats winter weight.

I do the the weight change at seasons change for all our stuff, even the newer ones. Most people here do regaurdless of vehicle/engine age.

And, as worn as the engine is, way it works, the oil is usually black after a couple weeks, so 6 months/10K is plenty long enough; This engine has about 150,000 mi. on the last rebuild of the bottom end/crank, rotating assembly, and probably 300,000 mi. since the full rebuild. The truck itself has about 550,000 maybe 600,000 miles on it.

Also I'll NEVER run synthetic, and Never let a shop change the oil; Last shop that changed the oil 17 years ago disobeyed our wishes and put some fancy synthetic crap in it; Within 2 weeks it ate the seals and grime out of the engine and ringed the main bearings with it, plus ate the oil pump, all causing the last rebuild.

I do have one truck I Never change the oil in, because it leaks it at the rate of 1.5 qts ever 25 miles or so... at 50 miles round trip to town and back, and a 6qt. capacity.... The oil never stays long enough to get dirty. Its a hot rod truck; 2wd 73 F150 with a 460 and 3.25 rear end... only drive it maybe 1K miles a year, at an average of 100mph ;). Just change the filter every few years.

G.
    SAKplumber and Gnarly like this.

Dirt Rickler Loaded Pockets

Same with my bike. As long as she's burning oil, I know she's got oil.
    SAKplumber likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

tomsk Loaded Pockets

When I used to work for M.A.N trucks their engine oil change interval on their TGA model was around 100, 000 miles , granted most of these miles were just ticking over on the motor way at 56mph but still quite good I think