1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Spyderco vs. Benchmade

Discussion in 'Knives' started by P185Renegade, Feb 4, 2013.

?

Spyderco vs. Benchmade

Spyderco 61 vote(s) 59.8%
Benchmade 41 vote(s) 40.2%

Syclone Loaded Pockets

If you think the Pardue felt cheap you will think the same of the Grip. ;)

lefty81 Loaded Pockets

Handled both the Delica and the grip today. Both are great knives although I liked the way the delica fit in my hand better, felt like i was ready to start cutting. Liked the axis lock better than the back lock, but without owning and being able to play with an axis lock it is not my favourite lock, but is higher on the list than back locks. I also handled the BM mini barrage, which i liked the feel of and would purchase over the griptillian if it didn't have the AO. In the end, for myself i would buy the delica. Enjoy the ladybug in the meantime.

Ogre Banned

I find spuderco to have generally better ergonomics fory big hands. Especially, good ergos in smaller thinner knives, which I really like.

I prefer the LOOK of a thumbstud, and drop point style blade over a spydiehole and their generally funky looking blades. But overall, spydercos ergos and hole are just more comfortable and easy to use in my hands.

Generally, I consider spydie to be better bang for the buck as well.

My griptiallian has been reliable, but i find myself reaching for my sage because its more comfortable in hand and thinner in pocket.

Mini grips are too small for my hands, but delicas are very comfortable

*Transmitted via portable cellular device*

c5k0 Loaded Pockets

Congrats on your new knife.

There's saying in photography, "the best camera is the one you have with you". That pretty much applies to everything we EDC.

I love it at work when somebody says, "Anybody have a knife?".

In the end, whether you go Benchmade or Spyderco, you're still ahead of the game.

Another option other than BM or Spyderco are SOGs: the Twitch II and the Flash I - both smaller blades at 2.5" and are reasonably priced for assisted opening and similar Axis lock technology on the Flash I.
    defuse kit likes this.

GEC Loaded Pockets

Enjoy you new Delica it will serve you well for a long time until you get the itch again and want to get a new knife Lol.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

Okay, so my opinion has changed...slightly. I still prefer Benchmade knives, I just like the desgins more, the functionality of the Axis-Lock, and the second to none Customer Service. I have 5 Benchmade knives(currently), all of them higher end models (741, 940, 470, 12800, and 860), I love them all!

With all that being said, I just got a new Spyderco Sage 2 (I traded in a ton of used books, dvds, and blu-rays to Amazon and was able to get the Sage 2 for zero dollars!). First off let me say this knife is amazing! It is just as nice as any Benchmade I have ever owned (if not nicer), and boy does that titanium handle feel good! So the Spyderco brand has really impressed me with the Sage 2 and has earned my admiration.

I still wish the Sage was made in USA, there were no F&F issues and the knife came perfect (great QC from Taiwan), but something just bothers me about seeing "Taiwan" on that blade.
    defuse kit likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

The Benchie 530 is an odd bird. It was designed as a hide-out knife, as thin and light as possible. In that it succeeds, but it also feels flimsy compared to every other Benchmade knife. (And I'd know, I own waaaaaay too many Benchmades to compare to.) But despite that, I've never heard of anyone who's 530 failed. It's tougher than it looks.

Bottom line, don't judge all Benchmade knives by the 530, it's very much an outlier, by design.

I'm actually not a fan. The full-flat ground leaf blade makes for a very thin, weak tip, and the opening hole is laughably small. (I have no experience with the hawkbill, I rarely find a use for that blade style.)

What I thought was the "improved" Ladybug was the Jester. Same overall size, but the blade was ground to put more beef at the tip, and the jigged and scalloped spine was *perfect* for "sharp-finger"-style use. The handle was shaped better for a two-finger grip, too; in fact the later Ladybugs use the improved Jester handle.

For some unfathomable reason, the Jester got discontinued, and the inferior Ladybug remains. I guess the Ladybug's more traditional "Spyderco" profile makes it more popular; but having carried and used both, though, looks aren't everything, the Jester is the superior design.
    MedusaOblongata likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I've been packin' Spydercos since 1991, a year after Spyderco switched from all-stainless designs to the FRN-handled Delica and Endura, and a few others. We go waaaaay back.
    That said, over the long haul I've found I generally prefer Benchmade knives. To me, they have more varied designs, and of course the Axis lock is sheer genius; McHenry & Williams were in a "state of grace" when they came up with that design.
    That's one of those trade-offs in knife design. Thinner knives carry easier; thicker knives feel better in the hand in use.

I gotta agree with all the detractors, the Griptilian handles feel kinda chintzy at first; but dang if the shape isn't GRATE in use. (The Mini-Grip doesn't feel as hollow as the full-size Grip, for what it's worth.) And there's a benefit to those "cheap-feeling" handles: they weight nearly nothing, and keep the cost down. A full-sized Griptilian with 3D sculpted G-10 scales of the same shape would weigh a couple ounces more, and cost ~$40 more. The Griptilian is, moreso than any other Benchmade I can think of, a knife designed to be used.
    Blerv likes this.

Ogre Banned

absolutely! in fact its the only knife i currently have that i will really use for dirty work. Ive used it for light prying, a bit of digging, a lot of scraping, and extensive sessions of breaking down cardboard boxes/packaging. i wont do that with my sage for small seb
    Blerv likes this.

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

its funny how many people DONT like the mini-grip cause it 'looks' and 'feels' cheap. when, its been proven time and time again that it can stand up to any and all edc tasks. i've had one since 2009, and its still rock solid, even after flicking it open and closed millions of times because its so fun. nothing has ever been adjusted, its as smooth and solid as the day i bought it. i would vouch for a mini-grip any :censored: day of the week.
    Gryffin and Blerv like this.

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Taiwan is cranking amazing quality these days. At least from the very small shop Spyderco uses for its high end models (Sage, GB, etc). I love Golden and Moki in Japan but generally they are a shade less perfect. Just a shade :).

I'm surprised more people aren't focused on the serrations. Maybe people don't buy serrated knives but I dig em and Spyderco knocks it out of the park easily. The PE Grip vs PE Delica is easier without considering the teeth. For me any brand that tries usually fails (or succeeds by ripping off Spyderco's proven pattern).

I just picked up a Lil Matriarch which uses the Delica4 platform. VERY sick knife...highly recommended :D.

Hey Griff. The only Ladybug that is FFG is the ZDP-189 model. The rest are hollow-ground and the serrated ones feature a chisel ground secondary bevel. The Manbug is FFG and 2.5 mm thick rather than 2 mm.

I like the Jester blade shape because its quirky. The current Ladybug 3 handle features the larger hole and finger indents over the previous gen and Jester. I'm guessing it stuck around being more mainstream looking (small-size Delica) with a cuter name. It also got a bit more tip sweep likely for added strength (but less belly than the Manbug).
    Last edited by Blerv, Feb 9, 2013
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

GAH!! I hope not :D

My "modified sheepsfoot" full-size Grip is still one of my faves for around-the-house projects. But for really abusive use, I dig out the CRKT M16-10 "Big Dog" tanto, the original with aluminum scales. I've beat on that thing like a rented mule, and it takes it all and smiles. Tougher than woodpecker lips, but not nearly as comfy in the hand as the Grip.

Ogre Banned

lol, my old CRKT m16 tanto really isnt useable any more....but it WAS my crazy abuse knife for a long time. the lock just kept getting looser and looser until you could shake it and listen to it rattle loudley.

wait i just remember, i finally threw it away a couple months back! i had the knife for about 12 years

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I have a Delica and Mini-Grip in plain edge. I definitely prefer the Delica. The ergonomics are awesome on the Delica. With my long fingers, I find that I have a hard time getting a secure grip on my Mini-Grip. It's too bad. I love my full-sized M2 Rittergrip, and my Mini-Grip is a D2 black blade special, but if it doesn't fit the hand, it's not very useful.

--
    sent via carrier pigeon from my secret hideout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Guess I'm showing my age. I have three assorted Ladybugs, but all of them are from several years ago. Checking out the Spyderco site, I see the newer ones have the bigger hole, and hollow-ground blade. Of course, that hollow grind still means a paper-thin tip...

I really like the looks of the Manbug, but they seem kinda pricey for whatcha get, so I've resisted. God forbid I ever lose all three of my Jesters, I might have to buy one of these newfangled ones! ;)
    defuse kit and Blerv like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Yikes, and I thought *I* was rough on mine!

Mine still locks up OK, but it's ~90% across the blade tang, and occasionally sticks badly enough that I need to pop the liner lock out of engagement with a screwdriver or similar. But dang if it don't keep takin' a lickin' and keepin' on tickin'.

Ogre Banned

well........lets be honest.....i used it as a throwing knife extensivley. LMAO. and most of the time i was standing on concrete so when i missed my target, it was rough.

that knife was all rusted, with chips in the blade and dull and hell. i took it apart and sanded it all up, took it to a grinder to remove the chips and digs, resharpened and it was still useable for a while.........until i had another session of digging and throwing. never abused any other knife knife like that!
    c5k0 likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

KNIFE ABUSE! KNIFE ABUSE! Somebody call the cops!!! ;)

OK, I haven't beat on mine THAT badly. But IIRC the last project involved scraping wall texturing compound (plaster) off a floor slab (busted a putty knife first, the CRKT stepped up nicely), and chipping grout out from between floor tiles so I could get a prybar in the gap (it was either that or ruin a screwdriver, couldn't find a better tool). A few strokes on the DMY diamond stones, the chips and gouges were (mostly) gone.

I like to joke that it's the perfect tool for camp use, too... ya know, for when you need to field dress a Buick. :D
    Ogre likes this.

Ogre Banned

its funny, i had a really good experience with that knife. longest and hardest i ever used a knife, yet i still have no desire to buy another one lol

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

I prefer Spydero's over Benchmade's but the Delica is a bit too small for my liking.