1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Problem with GITD Manix and UK Customs

Discussion in 'EDCF Branded Gear' started by Claudiasboris, Mar 27, 2011.

• In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Really sad to hear that your countrymen are pulling that crap on you. Very typical of Jon B. to ensure no ultimate loss on your part. I can't tell you how great it feels to have someone of such integrity representing us.

QtrHorse Loaded Pockets

I have heard that it is a good idea to tighten the pivet screw down on any knife that might come open with a downward flick. If they cannot get it to come open like that, it will pass. The only way you might get the flipper knife through is to send it taken apart so they cannot say it is a flipper.

Sorry to hear about the problem.
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

I have been tightening the ones headed to Europe so tight you need two hand to open some of them.

It seems they also don't allow the non-knife products to get delivered if they are in the same package.

This shipment had an EDCF Manix, a Zero Tolerance folder, a nanoStriker, and a patch.

This was just a tiny bit from being a $300.00 order. I have given the buyer a full refund.
    MedicInTraining and Ludwell01 like this.

mrpink Banned

that is simply amazing..
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

A bitter pill to swallow, but you do us all proud, Jon.
    MedicInTraining likes this.

smoothone25 Empty Pockets

WOW! props!
    MedicInTraining likes this.

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Now all of us who can afford it need to buy more from the EDCF Store to help Jon make up his loss!

Maybe if Knife Rights, AKTI and us folks protest enough we can stop these fake gravity knife tests
    the way we reversed the U.S. Border Patrol's declaration that assisted openers were "switchblades."

Since Jon really tightened the pivot, in this case it looks like UK Customs didn't even bother to do the fake tests,
    but just impounded the knife.

Claudiasboris Loaded Pockets

I want to give a really big "Thank You" to Jon for the way he's dealt with this. As I said in a pm, I feel very guilty because I ended up costing the shop rather than supporting it which was my original intention. I'd like to make more purchases from the shop but don't trust customs. I'll have to wait for my US vacations from now on.

Thanks to everyone else for their support too!

BTW, I don't think that customs even check the knives. British law doesn't like folders. I've heard of Spyderco UKPKs being confiscated before by customs, by definition they're legal carries in this country! I once took a group of students to the local courts and had to hand over my EDC kit. The security guard was fine with my SAK, but the Gerber LST on my key ring was confiscated, presumably destined for fiery death. He was very apologetic but pointed out that any locking folders were to be taken. Legal to buy, legal to carry with a good enough reason, but confiscated by officials when seen!

It would be great if we could have something like AKTI over here, but the media have created such a moral panic over "knife crime" that anyone trying it would be labeled a criminal and insensetive to those who've suffered from knife crime. The police have been taken in by this, too. Several officers have been quoted as saying that no-one needs to carry a knife, therefore anyone with a knife is out to do no good.

I'm starting to think that I should move out to your side of the Atlantic.

Claudiasboris

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

Wow, UK customs is beyond bad, what a shame. I just fell in love with our German customs system. It seems very reasonable in comparison. Is there no legal way to protest against all that?

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

You oughta try getting stuff into Australia, if you think England is bad!

They took my Luak coffee beans off me when I came back from Bali. :(

Also tried to get a Cold Steel Recon Tanto sent to me but customs won't let one in (but I can buy them here for twice the price!).

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Ludicrously, virtually ALL of the folders that get confiscated are legally available over here.
    But who wants (or can afford to!) pay £400 ($600) for a Strider.
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

Don't feel guilty, this was not your fault.
    Ludwell01 likes this.

Ludwell01 Loaded Pockets

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have had good luck/success when importing "interesting" bladed items by having them listed as 'cutlery samples' .

It would seem that customs is less interested in opening the package when it doesn't say KNIFE on the box description.
    mole likes this.

Chopper Loaded Pockets

You know I get fed -up with hearing these stories.

HMRC (Revenue & Customs) are the worst in the world, most of the time they havent got a clue what they are talking about and when you prove them wrong they will duck, dive and lie to prevent you from winning your case!

I really would not bother writing to them more than once as you will get enough spin from them to sink a battleship.

Try calling the Chairmans office direct on: 0207-147-3343.

Remember, if it's on sale in the UK it's legal, so they have no right to take it. Therefore they must give it back once you have shown it's legality. It is not your job to do this as they should know what they are doing, but clearly they don't.

If you don't get your knives or your money within 28 days then take them to small claims Court, you will get it then and they will get a kick up the backside from the Judge.

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

IF I were you, I would just vote with your feet and move pal. Sorry, but the UK has gotten so wacked up that it aint worth the trouble any more.
    Evilbunnyreviews likes this.

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

What about taking them apart & shipping? They can't flick it open then :/
    Probably won't work as they would probably accuse you of trying to build a deadly knife anyway.

Irritating :(

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II