1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Probably a stupid question

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by 1911 Nut, Dec 21, 2012.

1911 Nut Empty Pockets

Hi
    I've read a lot on this forum and love it, but not posted too much. I have what will probably seem like a stupid question. I have a small survival kit in a Maxpedition Fatty Organizer that I'm trying to keep small enough to carry in my backpack or fishing vest when out and about. It contains first aid items. I'm trying to figure out how to carry some additional medicine other than the tylenol I carry now.
    The stupid question is how do I carry about 6 types of pills (immodium, aspirin, etc.) without adding a lot of bulk and be able to know what is what and when they expire? I can't tell one pill from another 6 months after I put them in and don't know how to keep up with expiration dates. I only want to carry a couple of each. Enough to get me or my friend to a car and help. Thanks for all the help, both on this and on stuff that I just read. This is an awesome source of information.

Signmaker Loaded Pockets

Personally, I like the little plastic tubes you can buy some medications in. They're about the size/shape of chapstick tubes, and hold a handful of pills. I usually just buy a handful of Acetaminophen tubes, dump the contents into my larger Acet bottle at home, and re-label them for different meds.

If you need to go even smaller, you can sometimes source little 1.5"x1.5" ziplock style baggies, but be careful about how much light the medication gets. Light, heat, and humidity can really screw with some meds.
    SurvivePenna likes this.

1911 Nut Empty Pockets

I might have room for one of those tubes, but not six. That's the dilemma. I like the idea of the small ziplock bags. I could just include a very small portion of the label with medicine name and expiration date on it. Where do you find them? Light wouldn't be a problem because they would be in the organizer. That wouldn't add much bulk to my kit. Thanks for the tip.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

Maybe place a folded complete copy of the label in the package that way you have all the info.
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I got a 100 pack at walmart for fairly cheap.

I peeled the label off an older bottle, and applied it to the bag.

Sent from a remote location using smoke signals.

1911 Nut Empty Pockets

Thanks for the info. Guess it's back to Walmart for like the 4th day in a row haha. Merry Christmas. What section were they in?

surefire7 Loaded Pockets

I've seen them in the sewing/craft section. Two different sizes.

1911 Nut Empty Pockets

Thanks a bunch

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I have one of these from REI. Just marked the lid of each section what was in it with a sharpie. Haven't thought about expiration dates as the contents get used and refreshed fairly regularly. Things like aspirin, ibu, tylenol, benadryl, etc. The less used stuff I plan to dump and refill annually.

It is a bit bulky for pocket or small FAK but great for bag carry.
    Last edited by Kilted1, Dec 23, 2012

Butch007 Loaded Pockets

stax likes this.

1911 Nut Empty Pockets

Bought some of the little zip lock bags in the craft section at Walmart. They will work great. I put just four or five of each pill in a bag and labeled them with dosage, and name of med. Nice and small for my little bigger than pocket survival kit. This is just a small kit to keep me or a friend alive for a few hours if lost or hurt in the wilds. I carry it in my BOB along with another bigger first aid kit, but I take it out and put it in my backpack or fishing vest when I'm out in the woollies. What I'm after, is small enough to always have but big enough to bring me home. Thanks a lot for all the replies. I appreciate the help.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

A home/kitchen vacuum sealer works great for this. You can make a pouch as large or small as desired, they are air/watertight, and they can be written on with a sharpie.

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

I was gonna suggest the small bottles aswell, but just dump and refill it every 6 months to a year.
    • In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

+1 for the dime bags and straw tube ideas! If you were to get the bubble tea straws (really thick diameter) you'd be able to put quite a lot of meds in them without much more bulk!

Butch007 Loaded Pockets

I never heard of bubble tea. Just looked it up. Those straws look like they'd work perfect!

Signmaker Loaded Pockets

Highly recommend you get the bubble tea along with the straw. Yum!
    whoozle likes this.

Erasergirl Loaded Pockets

but i would by all your meds at the same trip.
    Choose the lowest date on any box and label your FAK with that date.
    When that date rolls around - replace all your meds.

I did that with my BOB/Evac/Digin FAK and and hence all my small packets in my EDC are the same date.
    when the date gets close, i will rotate them all. I think it's all about $10 worth.
    (actually i plan to just move the old meds into the bathroom and try to use them up)