1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Press for making Kydex toys and such....

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Echo2, Nov 25, 2012.

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

Waiting on foam....and a ratchet wrench for the bolts....

[IMG]

The pedal lifts it up about 5" and allows it to swing out of the way.....

[IMG]

The nuts will tighten down and have about 3" of possible compression.

[IMG]

I built this for the Mrs about 10 yrs ago....for a flower press....but I think it will work until I build one for myself.

I have an oven that only one stove top burner that works....the the oven works fine.
    angusW, vegassprky and kertap75 like this.

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

That looks like it will work great! (but I've never worked with the stuff so who knows)

Syph007 Loaded Pockets

Oh nice! That makes mine look pretty sad. To be fair though I threw it together super fast as a tst and the only tweak it needed was to put some cotton fabric over the foam so it didnt stick to the kydex.

Dont laugh it worked... :D

[IMG]

[IMG]
    angusW, dyril and vegassprky like this.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

Can you weld two pieces of small rod to opposite sides of the bolt to make a wingnut for faster turning, then no wrenches needed. By the way nice press even if it alittle overbuilt for kydex, maybe a people motivation device.;) And a heat gun works pretty good too and is easier to check the condition of the kydex, atleast in my experiance. YMMV

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

What foam are you using?

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

I also have a large electric griddle for heating.

May do the wing nut thing....dunno.
    vegassprky likes this.

Syph007 Loaded Pockets

I bought the knifekits foam. The griddle worked ok, but you have to make sure to only heat the shiny side, otherwise it ruins the finish on the other... at least it did for me.
    vegassprky likes this.

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

Brother found a source on 40" x 72" x 1" neoprene foam.
    vegassprky likes this.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

We want to see your creations when you're finished, please.

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

I plan on doing a picture log of any builds.
    vegassprky likes this.

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

Other than sheaths and holsters....What are some other projects you guys would like to see.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Anything you come up with would be cool. We be easy around here.:)

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

I was trying to talk CSM-101 in to coming up with some ideas....I was thinking a insert for an AR15 mag pouch that would hold a light, multi-tool, lighter, etc......Altoid tin scabbards for a knife sheath.
    vegassprky likes this.

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

[IMG]

Another piece to the puzzle...:)
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nice but alittle overkill for kydex. If the kydex is soft and flexible you should be good to go to form most anything. But in all a cool tool!:cool:

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

Shhh! That's not what he told the lady of the house...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    vegassprky likes this.

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

Twas free....:).....insanely accurate at close distances....don't want to melt my foam.
    • Administrator

xbanker Ad Hoc Admin

Grabbed infrared thermometer myself (HF, Black Friday, $19.95, down from frequent sale price of $34.99). Agree with Vegassprky that if Kydex is "soft and flexible" it will work. I got because I need all the help I can get :) and I want to push the envelope on max temperature (for optimum forming) without "burning" the Kydex. Somewhere around 350°-ish.

Also grabbed their 1/2-ton arbor press for just under $30 (for painless setting of eyelets).

A tip, if you're not aware: the foam will "dent" or imprint after a job. Some of that will disappear if you put the foam on top of toaster oven; that little bit of heat will help return foam to (almost) its former flat surface. Extends the life.
    vegassprky likes this.

ChaseKenny Loaded Pockets

That is sweet! Thanks for the inspiration, Ive been wanting to start messing with kydex!

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

[IMG]

Another piece of the puzzle....

Also got a heat gun.....and dug out my scroll saw.
    vegassprky likes this.