1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

one light, any battery...?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by mole, Jan 3, 2013.

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

DESTRO and Si_K like this.

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Like camping or black outs. No need to worry about availability of batteries :)

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

That's a clever idea, but with today's technology I think there are many options out there that will put out significant light for as long or longer on a single battery and be much, much smaller thus allowing you to easily accommodate a spare battery. And the smaller relative size would allow you to have it on your person 24//7.

That said, nifty flashlight for people who are 99% sure they will not need a flashlight.
    Blerv likes this.

Blerv Loaded Pockets

The other side of survival is carry weight/bulk. I would rather give someone a 9v light or AA light with moonlight.

Interesting tho. :)

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Different batteries serve different purposes. Generally, the smaller the battery the less runtime you have. This style of light (it isn't really a new concept) gives folks the false sense that running one off of a couple of AA cells is going to work as well as a pair of D cells or a six volt lantern battery.

All of the lights I've seen like this have a few trade offs so maybe it's better to not "put all your eggs in one basket" and to have a few lights that are better suited to what you want them to do

If you are just looking for a light that will keep you from sitting by the portable radio in the dark or to let you read to the kids until the power comes back on there are better choices. Likewise if you want to gear up for the apocalypse.
    Blerv likes this.

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

Looks like a solution to a problem no one had. :p You would get better runtimes and a brighter beam from a simple olight i2 flashlight for less than that flashlight is going to sell for and the i2 is far more likely to be on your person when needed then that thing. And it can run on both aaa and aa batteries. :D (same goes for itp a2, 47s mini aa, maratac aa, ... All versions of the same flashlight)

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Not a bad idea, but here's a much cheaper option: http://www.greenbatteries.com/battery-adapter.html
    You can go from AAA to AA, from there to C, from C to D ... all for $3.95 (shipping drives the price up, but you can buy these at local specialty stores, such as Batteries Plus).

I don't EDC these, but I do have a couple of sets home with my disaster gear.
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

You could also do the same thing with a plain old D cell maglite. Some paper, tape, cardboard, rubber hose....etc to make up the diameter differnces, and you could stack any round cells in it you like.
    Cobra 6 Actual likes this.

So, I've carried a flashlight on body for over two decades. I know that AAA, AA, C, and D are all 1.5 volts. I even have the Eneloop sleeves so you can use a AA as a stand in for a D or a C. Yet it never occurred to me to try using a AAA as an emergency replacement for a AA until reading that insightful post by enki_ck a couple of minutes ago. It just so happens that I have an Olight I2 in my pocket at the moment so I grabbed a AAA from storage and tried it out.

Sure enough, worked like a charm. Switched modes and everything. Tried it in a Romisen RC-G2 (with a rear clicky) and it worked in that too.

Well I'll be!

And they say you can't teach an old dog to drive a car (or something like that, I'm so excited by this revelation that I can't think straight).

Thanks, enki_ck!
    enki_ck likes this.

reppans Loaded Pockets

Use $$ bills wrapped around the batt. to center the smaller cell so there is less risk of shorting out from the battery shifting in the tube. If the springs are too short, a ball of tinfoil works a length spacer (neg. end only)

Don't forget 9Vs too - they were the only batteries that remained available around here during Hurricane Sandy.

http://edcforums.com/threads/edc-spare-emergency-battery-aa-aaa-users.102071/

Thanks reppans. I already know how to deal with rattle as I use cr123a primaries in hosts designed to handle 18650s. Just a little embarrassed that I didn't learn this last bit of info till now. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

In my defense, I jumped on the Surefire bandwagon early and use cr123a batteries almost exclusively. Any AA/AAA lights around here belong to the wife or kids.

Still embarrassing, though.

Later edit- Just read that thread of yours you linked to... nice job, that.

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

You're welcome. :D You can use an AAA in a Gerber Infinity Ultra too. Most lights that have a strong and long enough spring will work.
    Chihuahua master likes this.