1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

New York suggestions?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Oaklington, Jan 5, 2013.

• In Omnia Paratus

Oaklington Loaded Pockets

This February I'm going to New York with the family:bounce: and I'm wondering if you peeps have any suggestions for some nice places to visit?

We'll be there for about a week so we'll be doing some of the classical touristy stuff, Empire state building, MOMA, statue of liberty, Grand central park and perhaps museum of natural history. But do you have any other suggestions, maybe something only a hardened new yorker would know? Any fun stores from a knife/EDC perspective? ;)

Take care!

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm guessing NY City? That I know nothing about. But if you want to try the rest of the state a little we have a lovely little waterfall right down the road from me. And there are some great revolutionary war sites to visit including the first place the American flag was flown in battle.
    • In Omnia Paratus

We're are going to just the city, but thanks! :)

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Have fun. Here in the rest of new York we're used to never getting any love. ;)

Jetsrb32 Loaded Pockets

Paragon Sports (Camping gear & knives - production and a few custom)
    Located at Broadway and 18th

Eastern Mountain Sports
    Located in SOHO and Upper West Side

REI
    Located in Soho

Tent & Trails (knives and camp gear)
    Located on Park Place downtown

Some places have airport-like security - just an fyi.

Central Park is a must. Walking (or biking) along the Hudson River path is nice too.

Kones Loaded Pockets

Check out the Top of the Rock (Rockerfeller center). You get a great view of the city, and see the Empire State Building, but pay less and wait less. Also, you can try John's Pizza near Times Square (great pizza in an old church) or John's on Bleeker in the village. Going to ground zero is pretty powerful, if you're into doing that. You can get tickets online for free (donations welcome) and there is Chelsea market nearby. The Entrepid is cool if you're into navy and Air Force stuff, and B&H photo is a cool store nearby if you like camera gear.
    Last edited by Kones, Jan 7, 2013
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Don't forget Chelsea peir for some activity

Sent from my Android toothbrush!
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Last time I went to visit relatives, we went to the Statue of Liberty and the World Trade Center. My advice when traveling is to see things before they are gone.

Sent by Owl Post
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Statue of liberty is going to be freezing this time of year and don't forget that line.

Sent from my Android toothbrush!

barlow666 Loaded Pockets

Get a Subway Map (free at token booths in the subway stations) and a One Week Unlimited Metro Card, about $29 from the same booths or vending machines in stations. This will let you ride City buses and subways all day and night - they run 24/7 - for your entire stay. Probably the best travel bargain in NYC. Or in most other cities for that matter. Ride the Staten Island Ferry (free) for a great view of the Statue of Liberty and Lower Manhattan. Walk uptown from the Manhattan side, stopping at the Viet Nam and WW II Memorials. Along the Hudson River, near Ground Zero is the NYC Police Memorial. Most people - including New Yorker's - don't know about this one. It lists the names of every NY Police officer killed in the line of duty. Worth the short walk, I think.

Totally historic area of Americana around Wall Street, Trinity Church's grave yard, Federal Hall, Stock Exchange and lots more. Lots of info on line about places down there to look at or visit. And so far, other than your Metro Card, you haven't spent a dime.

Have lunch in Chinatown, buy NYC t-shirts for all your friends at 6 for $10 on Canal Street. Same folks will also sell a genuine Rolex for $25. Shirts are a better deal.

Get half priced tickets to a Broadway Show at TKTS booth. Go to the one in Brooklyn (short ride on the subway) and you will save a couple of hours over standing on line at the Times square booth. But be sure to see Times Square late at night when all the lights make it wonderous.

Go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Most others charge an outrageous admission. Despite what the sign says, you need only pay what ever you want to get in. I drop a buck every time I visit. Anyway, even if you are not 'into' art, you will find lots there to see. Like, it has the best collection of Arms and Armor - including some really fine Japanese swords and fittings - anywhere.

Try foods from at least 5 differant countries that you have never visited.

Most of all, enjoy my city!!!

Jetsrb32 Loaded Pockets

Ditto to what Barlow666 said above
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer

• In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

If you love Burgers gotta go to Big Nicks and get a sumo burger near 79th and broadway. lol might even see me in there :p
    • In Omnia Paratus

EDCRVa Loaded Pockets

Lunch in Chinatown is a great idea. If I could EDC some Dim Sum this world would be much easier to navigate.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oh wow that's a lot of awesome suggestions! Thank you!

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Just a word of warning regarding Tent & Trails. The owner can be very moody at times. Usually pleasant, but every now & then she can be very rude and even insulting. I used to be a regular customer but it has been quite awhile since I've been back. A very good selection of various different EDC gear though. Especially on the large wall behind the cash registers.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

edit: sorry wrong place :p
    • +1 Supporter

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

Last time I was there I saw the first ever winner of the Latin jazz Grammy at a place called the Blue Note. Small place that has seen some legends go through.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    • In Omnia Paratus

^^^^ That sounds awesome, me and some friends found a really cool blues/jazz bar in Copenhagen, a 2m layer of smoke in the dimly lit bar, with one lonely guy on stage playing his guitar :) never found something quite that kind atmosphere, but Blue Note sound quite promising! ;)
    • +1 Supporter

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

I sat so close to the drummer I could feel the breeze from the cymbols!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Oaklington likes this.