1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

New knife time (again?)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bleh, Jan 7, 2013.

Random Dan Loaded Pockets

• In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Loaded Pockets

Since yesterday I've been wanting a 4-bladed congress knife.

ecksdog Loaded Pockets

Why did you have to post this knife? I thought I was done buying knives for a few months. I gotta have one now.
    stax likes this.
    • +2 Supporter

sungame Loaded Pockets

Three different options:

• Victorinox Pioneer - so far the most useful pocket tool I've ever carried.
    • Buck Vantage Select small - not exactly pretty, but a lot of knife for the money.
    • Opinel #6 - the cheapest, lightest EDC folder out there.

Victorinox Pioneer:
    [IMG]
    darkSAKNETT by thesungame, on Flickr

Opinel #6:
    [IMG]
    Erasergirl and stax like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

How about a Fällkniven TK 3 ? Got one myself, really nice pocketknife.

Edit: didnt notice the 50$ limit...
    • +1 Supporter

bleh Loaded Pockets

Man this is a tough one. I really dig the Case stuff, but now I'm having a hard time justifying somewhere between $65 and $100 for a case knife, when I could get a Damascus Mcusta frame lock for a small amount more from the forum store.

So I'm thinking about changing the requirements:
    • No nail nick knives, I really prefer thumb studs (actually I prefer opening holes, but those typically grow the blade too much for this application)
    • $40 or less (if it pushes $50+, I'll sell a few more things and go with the grail Mcusta.)
    • I'd really like a slim pocket clip to be available as well. My plan is to attach the knife to my wallet for a single swipe unloading of the pocket, and a pocket clip would make this easier.
    • It would be SUPER SWEET if the closed height of the knife was 1" or less. I think this is where a lot of the hold up is coming from.
    Does such a knife exist?
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Boker Keycom maybe?
    Thumbstud, frame lock, pocket clip, costs under $20, not much bigger than a USB stick. AUS8 Steel takes a very sharp edge. Finger choil and jimping allow for a very secure grip for such a small knife.

Bought one from Jon through the EDCF Store and it has been in my pocket ever since. I got the one with the black blade, though I prefer the look of the steel blade myself:

[IMG]

Here's a picture of it with some of my other EDC stuff for you to get an idea of size:
    [IMG]
    • +1 Supporter

bleh Loaded Pockets

I've looked at those in the past, but could never really get an idea of scale. Thanks for the pic. Of course I don't have experience with any of the other items you pictured, so :unsure:. If that's a streamlight, it might actually be a little TOO small...

What are the overalls of the knife, with clip, closed? l,w,h?
    • +1 Supporter

bleh Loaded Pockets

Bah, screw it....

ALOX Electrician incoming!
    jnsn and sungame like this.

Random Dan Loaded Pockets

Nice, hope you enjoy it!

Toyman Loaded Pockets

• In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Well, too late now, you're getting the Electrician (which is a nice knife, and it on my want list).

Yes, the smaller silver flashlight is a Streamlight Nano (one of the older models). The Boker Keycom is:

Closed length, 2 1/4", width (widest point) 13/16", thickness not including clip: 1/4", including clip, 7/16".

Blade length, 1 11/16", full lenngth when open: 3 3/4".

The larger knife at the bottom of the pic is a Kershaw Scallion, which is about the same general size as a Spyderco Dragonfly. The black flashlight is a Fenix E15, which takes a single C123 battery and is about 1.5 times as long as a C123.
    • +1 Supporter

bleh Loaded Pockets

It arrived yesterday, and I added a pocket clip this morning. I think it came out really nice, but we'll have to see how the threads hold over time. There is a copious amount of loctite blue both on the screws and the mating surfaces. if that fails, JB Weld, here I come.

Lanyard to come.

[IMG]
    jnsn likes this.

Erasergirl Loaded Pockets

I adore my Opinel, I have relegated it to the FOOD cutting duties.
    I have spent many happy hours using it to smear brie on torn bread.
    sungame likes this.