1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Need some help picking out a small fixed blade knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by P185Renegade, Jun 24, 2013.

• +3 Supporter

P185Renegade Loaded Pockets

So im looking for a relatively small fixed blade knife with roughly a 2 to 3 inch blade. I don't have any fixed blades in my collection now and would like some input from you guys. I have a few options that ive been thinkin about ... here they are:

ESEE Candiru
    Benchmade Bone Collector Skinner (D2 blade, micarta handles)
    Mora Fire starter knife ( I know its a little bigger than the others, might be bigger than what I want, but ive heard good things about the mora knives for the price(plus I can get them from the forum store))

also if there are any other options from benchmade or possibly victorinox (theres nothing I know of that fits the bill from victorinox), let me know
    any input and suggestions would be great

Thanks guys

P185
    • In Omnia Paratus

mniels Loaded Pockets

Bark River Necker. Carry one everyday, great for EDC and very unassuming. Also customizable grips.

It is a little on the expensive side, but worth it. Got mine from knivesshipfree.com. They also sell a pretty nifty sheath for it.
    vegassprky likes this.
    • +3 Supporter

That looks like a nice knife. I like the looks of the Bark River Pocket Bravo also.
    Thanks for the reply. :)
    vegassprky likes this.
    • +1 Supporter

mlehto Loaded Pockets

Check out Blade Forums and find yourself a custom.

You will be surprised how reasonable something like this can go for.

I have been thinking about selling this one though...... 01 Steel, G10 handles, Tiny, but beefy as hell. ;)

[IMG]

[IMG]
    vegassprky likes this.
    • Administrator
    • +4 Supporter

xbanker Ad Hoc Admin

You included a Mora in your discussion, because of price-to-quality. Since you don't have any fixed-blades presently, I'd highly recommend getting a Mora regardless of what you eventually buy to fill that "small fixed-blade" void in your line-up. Arguably the best value among fixed-blade offerings.

For your small fixed-blade choice (I'm a fan of <4-inch fixed-blades myself), don't overlook how you expect to use it as part of your selection criteria. You well know, some small fixed-blades also have an equally small handle. OK if you're going for a neck knife or just want something that's small overall. But it you expect to use on regular basis in outdoor setting, you'll want something with a handle generous enough to be useable and comfortable.

If will be for general camp duties or maybe bushcraft-like tasks, you'll go in one direction. If you're thinking about food-related or similar light duties, you might look in different direction. For the latter, take a look at the AG Russell Woodswalker. For a truly small fixed-blade (2-3/8" blade) with a decently-sized handle, choice of sheaths, at great price (~$25), hard to beat.

woodswalker.jpg
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

Love my Pocket Bravo, great little knife. The Candiru is a good option also. So many choices out there.
    • +1 Supporter

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I'm far from expert but since you're already looking at ESEE, i've had an Izula II for a couple of months and really like it so far.

[IMG]
    Blair likes this.
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

I second xbanker's recommendation. I use a woods walker for most of my eating duty. I smoothed and polished the handles on mine and cut and oiled the sheath. Looks way better now and the sheath fits in a front pocket as well.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    Brisket, xbanker and vegassprky like this.

xnyne Loaded Pockets

As others have said depends on usage.

+1 for mora regardless, best bang for your buck fixed blade (maybe knife ever?!?)

I carry a kabar/Becker BK14 in my bag everyday. I love that thing, it's small and tough as nails. You can get scales for it, leave it plain and compact or give it a paracord wrap.

BK11 or izula would also be great choices.

valhalla Loaded Pockets

Small fixed blades are great. I'm a Candiru fan but occasionally carry an Izula as well. I don't own any from Bark River but admire them. The BK 14 is nice as well. Especially the D2 version. Start with a smaller knife first like the Candiru. You'll find it will handle most chores easily you need a knife for. It carries so well horizontally on a belt. The sheath it comes with sucks. Make your own or look at Godspeed Tactical. I believe you'll want more knife but won't want to carry the size regularly. My Izula stays in my pack if needed but on my belt on the trail hiking. I'd love a BK 14 for hiking uses and will probably get one. Love that D2! Check the YouTube for vids. I find it an invaluable source of research along with this community.

Whatever you decide to get as an EDC fixed blade make sure you pick up a Mora eventually. They're just great knives. I use a Companion in the kitchen as much if not more than a chef's knife.

MOD-u-LAR Loaded Pockets

Check out Spartan Knives Enyo, or if you can find one the Phobos (not in production any longer). They are pricey but cool. That being said my EDC knife is a HEST Original. Best knife I've ever owned. I just want a Spartan.

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Anza knives? Tough sharp and not to expensive.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

I've got a Candiru and it's great. Plus it's cheap enough you can try out things like stripping the coating, etching, and patinas without worrying too much about cost. 1095 is really forgiving steel too.
    warchild likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild EDC!!!!! Junkie

I'd have to agree, really liking the Candiru these days. I'd bet it would work for you but if not, nothing to cry about with this one.

Alnamvet68 Loaded Pockets

I have the ESEE Izula, Becker BK-11, 14, and a BK-24, and they are all excellent knives, and perfect for EDC; these knives will run you anywhere from $34.00 to $50.00. Now, after reading a very objective and comprehensive review on Blade Forums of the TOPS Mil-Spie 3, by a member who goes by the name mistwalker, I immediately purchased one. This 3.5" knife seems to be overbuilt, heavier, and I look forward to putting it to the test. Good luck on your search.
    warchild and Blair like this.
    • +3 Supporter

I just ordered my first fixed blade! I went with the benchmade bone collector skinner. I really like the way it looks and it has an awesome leater sheath too. I still might (more than likely) get a mora also. :)
    vegassprky likes this.
    • +3 Supporter

just ordered a mora companion heavy duty (and a klarus flashlight) from the forum store. 19 bucks for a knife like that, you cant beat it. my hunger for fixed blades should be fulfilled now for a while. :)
    • Administrator
    • +4 Supporter

xbanker Ad Hoc Admin

Based on the fact it took you a mere 1 hour 19 minutes to make the leap from "I still might get a Mora also" to "Just ordered a Mora Companion," I'm guessing your "fulfilled hunger" will last for ... what? Couple of days? Two weeks tops? This is how it starts. :D

Congrats though on your new knives. No doubt you'll enjoy them both.

CDKJudoka Loaded Pockets

I will just reiterate what has been said a few times. The little Beckers (Bk11, 14, and 24), ESEE Izula line and Candiru are all great little knives. The BK24 is D2 steel so it is sorta stainless, but holds an amazing edge. You will need a diamond hone for that one to sharpen it, but that should only be needed if you really abuse the knife.

[IMG]

If you want something on the cheap, look into the CRKT Folts Minimalist line. They run anywhere from $15-20 bucks and come in stainless steel. The edge on mine has been holding nicely. Due to it's diminutive size (about 5.5" OAL), my wife is using it as her EDC neck knife.

[IMG]
    • +3 Supporter

Well the benchmade bone collector knife showed up today and I love it! it is an awesome little fixed blade knife and I feel like I made a solid choice for my first fixie. comes with a really nice sheath also. still waiting on my mora to show up from JSBurlys.
    Blair likes this.