1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

My modded LM Charge Tti

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Montetobuso, Aug 19, 2012.

Montetobuso Loaded Pockets

This is my new edc multitool, my modded LM Charge TTi:

[IMG]

The first thing I did was loosening the screws a litte bit to make it easy to flick the pliers open onehanded (never understood the need for special onehanded pliers) while still retaining enough tension to keep it neatly closed. Then I exchanged the plier head with a wave second gen, because i don't like the cap crimpers.
    [IMG]
    I also got rid of the integrated lanyard ring to get a second quick release point. I want to be able to use the pocket clip at the same time as the lanyard.
    [IMG]
    I added a thumb stud to the serrated blade, i tend to use this more than the straight edge (to save the edge for finer work). It was originaly meant for a buck, but after some time on a wheel grinder, it doesent snag on my pocket. I made it almost half the original size, and only kept the grooves on the side where my thumb is actually gonna catch them. This was something i only wanted to try out for fun, and i suspected i would take it off after a couple of days, but i really like it and think i will be keeping it.

I also switched the large bit holder (it broke, entirely my foult) and tried to anodize the titanium scales. This doesn't show in the pictures, i only tried one scale, and my method (involving several 9 V batteries) didn't work that well, i only got a slightly purple color before the voltage dropped to low. I will try again as soon as i get som better way to get the right voltage over time. I want them bright blue.

If it is doable i want to try to fit in a wire stripping tool from S.O.G. (maybe replace the large skrewdriver). Maybe also switch the pivots with something thats not security torx, and maybe with lubrication grooves in them.

I also want to add a small harpoon cannon for whaling

Most of these mods i "stole" from Metropolicity.

PS: i think i'm not supposed to direct-link pictures, but nothing else seemed to work with image shack this time
    Last edited by platypus85, Aug 19, 2012
    Nick4305, Lorenzo, angusW and 10 others like this.
    • +2 Supporter

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

Stole is a harsh word ;)

thePlumbah Meowderator

nice work!

jnsn Loaded Pockets

lmao @ harpoon cannon

TitanEDC Loaded Pockets

Thanks for that, I think I will loosen the screws on mine,as it's quite new, the blade along with the other tools on it are rather stiff to deploy.

sungame Loaded Pockets

It's nice to see that thumb stud has found a good home!

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Great stuff.

Here is the newest modification; i made the large screwdriver into an awl. I know it's not perfect, but i made it using a grinder holding the LM by hand, since I don't have a mill or sophisticated tools. I tried it, and it works really well for wood. I might try to make it smoother and with less visible tool marks, but that's only cosmetics, not function. I will try to polish it using valve grinding paste (it's the only thing lying around, and the store is closed until tomorrow, but i cant wait).
    [IMG]
    and the other side:
    [IMG]
    Last edited by platypus85, Jan 1, 2013
    grids7, sungame and Sriracha like this.

sungame Loaded Pockets

That doesn't look bad at all! It will be interesting to see how the steel holds up.

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Nice job man! I've often wondered how that would end up.
    platypus85 likes this.

Thanks! I will try it out in the following days to see how it holds up, it got pretty warm during grinding, so i hope i didn't mess up the tempering... For now it feels like it's as strong as before. I have seen a lot of people drilling a hole in their home made awls, like the ones on the factory made ones, but i will never use this awl for sewing, and i feel it would weaken the steel too much and I'm not sure i would be able to get through without de-tempering the blade, and I don't think I have the knowledge or skills to get the right temper again.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I doubt you messed up the hardening, since driver blades aren't usually very hard to begin with. On the down side, it'll take a little more work to keep the awl edge sharp, since it's not as hard as a real dedicated awl would be.
    platypus85 likes this.
    • +2 Supporter

I actually think the awl is the same hardness as the rest of the tools. After milling and working with both the REAL awl from both a Rebar and Surge, the flat bits are the same density and texture.

An awl isn't really a super sharp cutting tool anyways, it's a rough hole maker, need sharp and precise? Use the right tool, a drill bit :)
    platypus85 likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Huh. Color me surprised. Don't suppose you have a Rockwell hardness testing machine handy?

Sure, as soon as somebody invents a 3/8" electric drill that fits into my Leatherman sheath. ;)

(Betcha Eric's already thinking how to invent just such a thing. :D )
    • +2 Supporter

hrmm....micromachines.

No, no hardness scale, but the coloration and texture was the same when machining them. But yah, edge retention isn't my first concern using an awl, more if the point is pointy!

The awl has worked wonders, and I have only been sharpening it once. I used it mostely for plastic, wood and plaster. If i had a mill I would definitely make it hollow-ground, but this works for me. I really wish I had some real metal-workin tools though.

I finally got around to give the anodizing of the scales another go, and I'm quite happy with the results. I didn't really capture the color in the pictures, in reality it really looks brighter blue. Anyway, here is the result:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    I used a totally new setup I made out of an old 24V power supply I found in the trash at work, and created this professional looking setup:
    [IMG]
    I blew the 3,15A fuse two times while unintentionally touching the electrodes in the baking soda solution (good thing I installed a fuse I guess). At first I got more of a purple color, and had to sand the scales down again with my very bad dremel copy, with a too course paper. I then tweaked the psu to output 27,2V, and that worked wonders. I also learned some of the reason I failed the last time; I didn't get rid of the natural oxide layer before the process. You really need to sand down the titanium. I also got a new job, so i changed the tool setup to something more suitable for my daily needs:
    [IMG]
    As you can see, I got rid off the scissors and the can-opener, and installed a small, long driver from a kick (excellent for electrical terminals) and a large driver. I know I said I never use it, but at my new job, it is very good for opening the back of rack cabinets. The beloved scissors are gone, but not for good. I want to replace the saw with large vic scissors. In the mean time, I think I will get a micra (love the scissors) for double carry. The wave sitting on my shelf will be my new outdoor-MT, with the saw and can opener (both these tools really works great, but I find that they doesn't see much use in my urban everyday-life ).
    And yes, I stole the whole anodizing Idea from Tofty.
    TrackJack, sicilcan, mole and 10 others like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

looks good mate thanks for the pics
    Xiii
    Montetobuso likes this.

Ibrahim Sarp Dogan Loaded Pockets

good work mate, i like it.
    Montetobuso likes this.

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

The colour on your Charge looks great. Also like how you changed out the pliers for the Wave model. I agree the cap crimper isn't too useful. Did you take off the thumb stud and if so why?
    Montetobuso likes this.