1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Maratac Pilot watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Michael Rivera, Sep 12, 2012.

kye4some Loaded Pockets

I have had my eye on the Citizen Nighthawk that sucker is sexy.

Bauzen Loaded Pockets

Just got my 'repaired' watch back from County Comm.
    They didn't fix the problem whatsoever and I'm really upset about it.
    Still gets stuck at the exact same time twice a day.

Contacting them again... This is really frustrating.
    If they can't fix it, I'm going to bug them for a refund.
    I don't want to keep paying to ship it back to them.

kye4some Loaded Pockets

Yeah that would rub me raw. The whole you cover the shipping cost for their faulty product.....

Bauzen Loaded Pockets

I'm even more pissed off today than I was yesterday when I woke up and it was stuck.
    If it wasn't as aesthetically pleasing as it is, I'd have already given up on this watch.

charger02 Loaded Pockets

There is a thread over on WUS about CountyComm and their business practices. I have owned 2 mid sized pilots and even though they look fantastic there was some serious QC issues (at least to me). Severe scratches on the case all over what was supposed to be a brand new watch. The black band that it was supplied with basically fell apart once I took it off the first day I got it. Guess the glue dried out.

So for about $20 more I went with a Nighthawk and couldn't be happier. I would love to own another Maratac one day but the experience I had was more than a little frustrating.
    MichiganMan likes this.

mikejulietpapa Loaded Pockets

I know it may be a lesser quality watch compared to others but the price point was right for me. It's my starting watch I suppose. I've only had it for a few days and things have been good, hopefully it stays ticking for a long time. Anyway, I love the styling of and being able to [significantly] change the look by changing bands is great. worn&wound has a stellar review which set me over the edge when deciding to buy one. My only other watch at the moment was/is a Suunto Vector and that's not really something I can wear to job interviews.

Here's a few pics of my new watch:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[There's more in this album and I'll probably add a few more as I take them]
    kye4some likes this.

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

I am so :censored: sick of waiting for them to restock the mid size. I'm just going to buy something else.

Kombi Loaded Pockets

Are they equipped to do the repairs? I wasn't aware that was a service they offered. If it was me I'd press for a replacement. Otherwise, I know there are several other places that do watch repairs that are well regarded. Motor City Watch Works got my Seiko working again after a pretty catastrophic failure.

That failure taught me a lot about the durability of an automatic movement and as a result I only wear them at work, never for play.

I need to take some photos of my Pilot (large), but I really like it. I just got a new leather band for it that looks fantastic as well. Not that the Zulu strap didn't look good, but I wanted something a little more formal.

Bauzen Loaded Pockets

Hard to tell since they kept it for over a month then sent it back without fixing the problem. Truth be told, I don't know what they did.

I own two Rolex watches, do anything/everything while wearing them, and the have never failed me in almost a decade of ownership. That includes diving, shooting, camping, extreme hot and extreme cold exposure, and several biking accidents where I've scuffed the cases by slamming into concrete. There's no excuse for the Maratac failing after so little use. I understand there's a difference in price and quality between Maratac & Rolex, but I just can't accept the idea that some watches are so fragile that they can't be worn while going about your day-to-day errands.
    nw1911guy and nitrofein like this.
  1. zero issues with citizens while shooting and riding motorcycles. Just saying.

Bauzen Loaded Pockets

As a watch should be...

Kombi Loaded Pockets

Well, my research on some of the popular watch forums and discussion with the fellow who repaired my Seiko has led me to take extra care with my automatic movement watches; of course your mileage may vary.

My plan is to purchase a G-shock for the rough and tumble stuff. :D
    • +1 Supporter

MichiganMan Loaded Pockets

I don't know if I would press them on anything I wanted them to do. When I ordered my Maratac Pilot Watch on a Friday they took multiple weekdays of the next week to get it shipped, which meant that it wouldn't arrive until after the weekend and well into the second week. I sent an email expressing my disappointment, polite, but I did say something along the lines of "pretty weak guys"

That was all it took for Steven to cancel the order, have UPS intercept the package mid-shipment and return it to CountyComm. He was unsympathetic when I called CountyComm to apologize for my strong language ("pretty weak guys") and ask that my purchase be completed. He advised me that the watch wasn't for everybody and that obviously it wasn't for me.

All in all it was an educational experience. His tantrum cost the company around $11.00 to $15.00 for the UPS interception, plus whatever shipping and handling actually costs CountyComm, and because he apparently doesn't understand how the internet works I got one of the watches from them just over a week later.

And I got a little insight into Steven at CountyComm.

So in short, I don't advise pressing them, they're sensitive.
    OreoGaborio, kye4some and goosefacer like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah, CC is not customer-friendly for sure and could use a couple lessons on how to run an online business from any number of good sites out there. That story is unreal to me - and yet it sounds well within CC's wheelhouse.

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

Wow, f those dudes. They will never see another dime from me.
    OreoGaborio likes this.

DBR Loaded Pockets

I've had a go around with them and they really don't care what anyone on a forum thinks. They must really supply the government as they brag about because when it comes to their other Internet sales, they really do not care a bit about us.

Besides G-Shocks, Luminox are great. I don't like the Navy SEAL writing on the dial and that's why when I go after one of them again, it will be the sterile type like you see from Traser. Same watch, just doesn't have the :censored: markings.

nitrofein Loaded Pockets

Well I wont be buying a Maratac watch now. I ride motorcycles and shoot guns, Im sorry I ever felt like a "military" grade watch could handle such activities...

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

I was getting ready to drop the coin on this watch.....guess I'll just stick with my G-Shock.....It's been a great watch since day one.

[IMG]

The one in the center is my EDC.
    Sarky likes this.

nitrofein Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have any experience with Sinn watches? Are they more reliable?

Bauzen Loaded Pockets

Just sent my Maratac Pilot back to CC for the second time. I'm ultimately disappointed that it still gets stuck at the same time twice a day, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and remain optimistic they'll swap the movement out and get it running properly this time. If they don't, I don't know what I'll do, maybe I'll try finding a local service center to replace the movement, whatever that costs.

I adore having this watch on my wrist. It's easily my favorite casual watch and I'm sad that it has been in service for longer than it's been on my wrist in the past year.
    AnthonySC likes this.