1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Leash and Cuff Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by kirbysdl, Dec 12, 2012.

• +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Just a heads up for photogs and other people who have items they don't want to drop. I've been looking for something like this for a LONG time.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/97103764/leash-by-peak-design

(Disclaimers: I'm not affiliated with the company. I'm a backer of the project, but they're fully funded so I'm not trolling for support.)
    Cornholio2188 likes this.

Eyebedam Loaded Pockets

Looks interesting
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

Looks intresting, but not for me to be honest. I believe straps and hard to get on for a reason :p
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

You mean so they don't come off accidentally? I agree that's important. I'm hoping that accidental or malicious disconnection is hard with this system while the gear is on you. Then you get easy on, easy off access combined with security.
    • +1 Supporter

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

The only camera strap I'll trust and have used professionally for a really long time-DOMKE. That strap does look very interesting in concept though.

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

I came here expecting to see a different type of "leash and cuffs".
    ShadowE, HybridMomentsPass and KAMM like this.

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

I've seen posts on some camera blogs/websites where a camera owner made a similar, but superior, quick-disconnect harness/strap using the "Le Hook" connectors.
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

@rickinFL, Every trusted product was at one time new and untested. I've glad you found a solution that you like, but I'm still searching. :)

@RoboSim, Wouldn't that be in the EDC Clothing forum? ;)

@jag-engr, that's a great idea, but I'm not sure that it's necessarily "superior":

- Just a single Le Hook costs more than an entire Peak neckstrap/tether. Even if the DIY solution was better in every other way, it would certainly be more expensive.
    - Le Hooks are metal. Cameras are made to be durable, but I'd rather have softer materials around them all the same.
    - I suspect that the Peak connectors are less "fiddly", i.e. they're easier to work with in situations where you might have less dexterity. By the time you use big enough Hooks to not suffer from this issue, they're also likely bigger than the Peak connectors.

I appreciate that the Le Hook can be used to make a very nice camera support system, but that neither detracts from this one nor makes it superior without further consideration. I'll stop before I sound too much like a fanboy, but I'm a little surprised at the reactions on this thread.

While we're on the topic though, these are my concerns:

- They claim to use "seatbelt material". I'm not sure if that refers to the individual fibers (polyester, acrylic, etc.) or the weave, but AFAIK seatbelts use a base fiber that gets considerably weaker when wet. I wonder how this affects the usefulness of the product in inclement weather.
    - The plastic connectors seem to offer good ergos, but when something fits nicely in your hand it also means that they're rather large. They say that the straps with connector housings can easily fit in your back pocket. I wonder how true that is in reality.
    - They say that accidental release is rare, but as we've seen with products from Nite-Ize S-Biners to McGizmo clips, real world users come up with situations that the inventors never did, and "stuff happens" that the inventors never though of.

Anyway, it's less than the cost of an Atwood tool and promises to solve a long-standing problem I have. It will be interesting to see how it turns out!

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

With the Leash being used as a belt-looped safety strap option in their video it looks like a dropped camera would easily go smashing into the ground. Is it just me? In the segment where the guy does drop the camera, it's attached way up on his backpack strap, not belt...
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

I noticed that as well =) You'd have to manage the length carefully. What I do is wear a sling-style bag, with my DIY tether attached to a carabiner that slides up and down the strap. The sliding carabiner lets me keep the tether short, so I don't run into that problem. I'm probably going to use the Cuff to bridge the carabiner and the camera, or get some 0.75" strap and custom-make a strap for that purpose. It's really the connectors i'm most interested in.

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

True enough. I probably posted this mostly because I'd like to have a couple Le Hooks. However, the Le Hooks have a great reputation for durability and reliability - some people have used them daily for more than 20 years! The lanyard tethers could fray or the plastic receiver housing could crack on the Peak strap. I would also worry with the Peak strap that the lanyard button may not get locked into the receiver correctly.

Some cameras have a metal eyelet for a carry strap - a metal connector would be fine for those. Some cameras have a plastic lanyard loop - the Peak leash would be better for those. It all depends on the camera.

I think either one would be easy to fasten, but I suspect that the Le Hook would be easier to unfasten, as you have rigid body to grasp. I could be wrong on this point.

Those facts just make it an option. The Peak system doesn't even exist yet, beyond prototypes.

How so? Most posters find it interesting, but no one is ready to get real excited about a product that isn't even in production yet. Some people invest a lot of money in cameras, so they are going to be wary of suspending it from an new, untried system.
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

I'll address what I think is your main point. I could reply to the individual product comparison points too, but that may bore people even more. ;)

I totally agree with the first sentence, and this is precisely why I'm wondering about the tepid response, and most of the second paragraph. Think about the home craftsmen on EDCF, who make a prototype and have forumites happily signing up to get one. Kickstarter is all about supporting small-scale (or let's say medium-scale) creative efforts in much the same way. That was the spirit in which I started the thread.

Those with a $14,000 lens might not hang it from this strap as the first order of business, but they could probably see some use for it. This product will likely support most camera gear just fine, and I'm sure I'd find other uses for it even if it doesn't work out with my camera. For $15-25 it's not that crazy to get one just for experimenting, modding, and DIYing. We have an entire subforum here dedicated to carrying items, and countless threads on repurposing items towards other uses.

Regarding something existing as a product versus a prototype, the alternatives you mentioned were one-of personal projects, where the prototype is the final product. I'm confident that many of them were good and fit the needs of their creators well, but each was still a sample size of one. While the Hooks themselves are proven by thousands of users over decades, the various support systems as a whole were not proven to the same degree.

On the other hand, Peak's system has been used by multiple photographers, and improved over time through that process. I agree that we should question the construction and consider the failure modes of their resulting product, but at least as much scrutiny should be given to the homegrown efforts before we can honestly describe them as superior.
    • In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

Jeez I wish I saw this before the kickstarter finished :( something like this would have been great for when I'm on the go travelling and what not!
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

@MedicInTraining: No worries, I'm sure you'll soon be able to order these from their web site. =)

Got my set of capture Clip, Cuff, and Leash today. As promised, it came with a total of 6 Anchors. The Anchors are smaller than I thought: less bulk but also more fiddly. Fit, finish, and QA is great but not perfect: in laptop speak, about the same as Alienware but not quite Apple quality.

The strap material is smooth and supple, like a seatbelt but thinner in both dimensions.

I've attached Anchors to each of the camera's standard neck strap attachment points.

I put the Clip on my messenger-style camera bag's strap to help me with lens changes, and for a quick place to put the camera when I need a hand free and can't get into my bag.

The Cuff goes from an Anchor on the camera to a carabiner that slides up and down the bag strap. It acts as a safety tether that can stay connected whether the camera is in the bag or in my hand. The sliding carabiner allows flexibility in positioning while keeping the strap length short to prevent tangles.

The Leash is coiled up but attached via a third Anchor to the bag to prevent loss if it ever slips out. I'll use it as a neck strap when I have to leave the bag behind. The third Anchor is a backup in addition to a way to attach the Leash to the bag.

All in all, well worth the $80 and probably worth more, based on competing products and their pricing.