1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

jacobwilson99's MT16 CTS-XHP project

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by jacobwilson99, Dec 28, 2012.

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

Hey guys.
    This is gonna be an ongoing thread in which I will showcase my latest project and beg for advice and instruction. This is my first time doing something like this and I'm excited.

Gonna be making scales for my new Spyderco Mule Team in CTS-XHP.

Here's day one.

I made a stencil of it out of oak using my Dremel set that I turned into a router table.
    It's not the most perfect stencil. I definitely got better as it as I went on.

I might have to do another stencil later.

My plans are to finish it with some polished Unidirectional Carbon Fiber. To get there though I'll need to practice making a few different scales in some different materials. Anywho. Here's some pics.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Stay tuned!
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber Meowderator

Perscribed! ;)
    jacobwilson99 likes this.

Ogre Banned

oh man, cool stuff. i am going to buy one of those dremel press dealies soon, with the intent of trying my hand at making scales. im interested to see how this goes for you. maybe i will wait until i see what kind of things you run into. good luck!

I'm probably not gonna use the dremel to shape the scales. Maybe to put a pattern into them, but using the small rounded bits would be tough shaping whole scales, IMO.

BUT, the dremel press is totally worth it. I considered the router table attachment, but if you lower the bit into the center hole, it's effectively the same thing. YMMV.

willydigger Loaded Pockets

What is the point of the stencil? Do you plan to build the scales using the stencil as the model? I don't think that will work. Unless you plan to build scales out of metal, they will be weaker than the knife steel. I would just use the knife. I would also recommend getting some high grit sandpaper. Auto parts stores have it in 600, 800, 1000, up to 3000. This will help at then end when your anal-meter demands perfection! The sand paper will take out any scratches you put in fitting the scales perfectly.

Confused.

I plan to shape the scales on the wood stencil so that I don't accidentally grind into the actual knife.

I don't get your point about the scales being weaker. Yes, all scales are weaker than steel. Why use any scales or handle material? It makes the knife more comfortable. Fills out the hand. Adds traction and grip. By your point, all knifes and their handle scales should be full steel...

Yes, I have those grits from PepBoys! I definitely will get CDO about all of this.

willydigger Loaded Pockets

What I meant was you shouldn't hurt the base blade by using it as the stencil instead of the wood. Unless you manage to get the wood stencil perfect, you'll still have to do finish work on the Mule. I didn't mean to imply the scales are not useful. When I did my knife scales I did them right against the main knife. I sanded pretty close with the Dremel and then fixed up any "accidental" grinds on the knife with the high grit sand paper. It seems like extra work to build a stencil.

Ooooh! Gotcha! Yeah, makes sense. I guess the practice doesn't hurt.
    Thanks for clarifying!

Still gotta order some G10 to practice on.

I'm about to order some G10. Need some help though with pinning the knife. I understand how to set pins in the scales and epoxy and finish them off and all. And I know I can heat the epoxy to remove the scales.

However, I'd like to make removable scales without epoxy for this one. I'm having trouble finding screws/barrels that are long enough to span an inch and a half or so. And I don't understand how the scales will stay put on the blade, unless there is a coupling wide enough to fit snug in the drilled holes of the knife. Maybe I'm confusing the issue.
    Could anyone explain how to create removable scales on a fixed blade? Pics, videos, how-to's--all welcome.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Mighty Max Loaded Pockets

[IMG]
    Just subscribing.

Sweet Dremel

Syclone Loaded Pockets

nevermind...

No help on Post #10?
    • In Omnia Paratus

Mighty Max Loaded Pockets

Syclone Loaded Pockets

tang nuts and screws?

Thanks guys, I'll check these out. Maybe I was just searching with the wrong keywords.
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON Loaded Pockets

• In Omnia Paratus

Oaklington Loaded Pockets

If you can get access to a metal lathe those bolts are quite easy to do yourself ;)