1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Introducing ourselves: TOM BIHN Bags

Discussion in 'Tom Bihn' started by TOM BIHN Crew, Nov 8, 2012.

• Sponsor MFR

TOM BIHN Crew Loaded Pockets

Thanks, we'll check it out!

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

GAH!!! I couldn't take it anymore.... 1 Packing Cube backpack in Steel on the way.... ;)

I'll post a quick opinion of it in this thread when it gets here...
    Last edited by KDOG08, Nov 9, 2012

shrap Loaded Pockets

Great job on the website redesign!

I've always heard great things about Tom Bihn bags, although I've never been in the market for them. It is great to see lots of large pictures of the bags as well as customer photos, instead of just color swatches and my own imagination.
    TOM BIHN Crew likes this.

edcer Loaded Pockets

Welcome,I am glad to see your company here.
    I hope seeing the kind of gear many carry on this site this site gives you some inspiration for a new bag.
    I would like something that looks discrete on the outside,say a Super Ego, but has internal organization geared more for tactical use than business.
    Kind of like Tom Bihn meets High Speed Gear.
    I have been vacillating between TB and HSG for some time. There are alot of people that carry CCW these days that want to be discrete, but need a bag that can hold the stuff we carry in an organized way.
    Thanks.
    billybag likes this.

Arjosy Loaded Pockets

Any discount for ordering one of everything? :)
    TOM BIHN Crew and SAKplumber like this.

thePlumbah Meowderator

^this and also...I appreciate the embedded YT video for each model after the specs at the bottom of its page. Pictures are great too, but nothing gives me a sense of the bags better than the videos

thePlumbah Meowderator

I was waiting for the Tom Bihn Passaround;) :rofl:
    Fukurai likes this.

KLF Loaded Pockets

Since I got a new motorcycle few months back, I've been looking at my gear with a different approach. Water resistance/proofing.

If I'm taking a bike ride to the work it means I have my laptop and couple external drives and perhaps even spare computer parts with me. Being caught in a rain would mean in addition to overall wet feel a financial loss if my gear gets wet.

While a waterproof backpack sounds cool and I might get one some day, they are a bit overkill. I have no plans to dip me and my bike into a river anytime soon.

Brain Bag for example if exposed to heavy rain for few hours or more would zippers leak or if there is still water on bag, would it seep thru over time as the fabric is said to be water repellent, how about stitches? Messenger bags on the other hand make me wonder how easily they would let water in at the sides, quite often the flap leaves a gap and wind pushes water upwards under the flap too.

I'm not expecting waterproof but interested in how much bags would take. Would a bag hold 30mins or couple hours before there is danger of leaks or maybe a full 8-10 hours on the road without problems, then leave a wet bag on the tent atrium for the night and continue riding the next day. Would it still hold water out?

I'm not thinking just Brain Bag here but all bags in general, knowing this kind of information is going to be an important decision factor for my next purchase.
    • Sponsor MFR

The Brain Bag has 1000d Cordura flaps that cover the zippers. I'd estimate 20-30+ minutes of serious rain before water would get in. If you let it dry overnight, you could start that clock over again. Our fabrics have water-resistant coatings and if you often find yourself in the rain with your bag you'll want to renew/replenish those coatings with Nikwax Tent & Gear SolarProof.

Take a look at the Smart Alec too -- it has less seams and therefore it's a little more weather/water-resistant.

Have you considered Ortlieb bags? Truly waterproof and great quality.

Feedback from others:
    See here and here for customer feedback on carrying our bags on motorcycles. On the Aeronaut:
    "Now for the rain! The Aeronaut is not waterproof, but I went through one major thunderstorm. I placed the bag with the zippers facing down and much to my surprise the interior only got a little damp. At the hotel it dried out in about an hour."
    And here's a review that mentions the Brain Bag in a rainstorm in Florida.
    This customer's Brain Bag has been through the aftermath of the 2005 tsunami and record snowfall in New York.

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Quick question, would that Nikwax Tent & Gear SolarProof work on the 200d Dyneema that the Packing Cube bag is made of?

thePlumbah Meowderator

deleted because you weren't sitting by the refresh button to answer my questions! pssh!
    Last edited by SAKplumber, Nov 10, 2012

thePlumbah Meowderator

Sooooo...I just ordered a Synapse in Olive with a couple of Olive 3d organizer cubes, cache, and a bottle of Nikwax.

Thanks for supporting the Forum!!!

Btw, I bought a bag from the BST threads to hold me over since my EDC bag is getting old and stating to rip. I haven't even got it in the mail yet and I've ordered yours:)

Oh & thanks for helping me move into the present. My "old" edc bag is a 1953 US Army Engineer's Field Bag. So, yea...its a little old;)
    jnsn, TOM BIHN Crew and powerring like this.
    • Sponsor MFR

Yes: Nikwax will work on all of the fabrics we use.

JGP Loaded Pockets

If you or your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/mom/etc knitts, Tom Bihn makes a great knitting bag called the Swift, and knitting accessory bags. Also if you live in the greater Seattle area you can go to their store and even tour the factory. Great company and great products.

aaronu Loaded Pockets

Another long time Tom Bihn user. My Zephyr (smaller version of the Empire) briefcase is at my feet right now as the plane begins its descent from Seattle into Minneapolis. I've had it for... I dunno, basically forever. It's truly top notch gear. The organization is good enough that you forget about it and just always know where to grab whatever is stowed. Going to a less well-designed bag becomes frustrating.

Speaking of motorcycles, I commuted 35 miles a day in Seattle weather with that Zephyr on my back, sometimes in heavy rain. Nothing ever got wet. Well... nothing in my Zephyr, that is.
    TOM BIHN Crew, JGP and SAKplumber like this.

thePlumbah Meowderator

What? My bags not here yet!? Man!...

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

Funny, one of my clients had a messenger bag from you guys and I had to compliment it!
    • Sponsor MFR

Thanks for your order! Let us know what you think of the Synapse once it arrives...

thePlumbah Meowderator

Will do. They know me around here. I'm liable to put a picture of it on every thread;)
    TOM BIHN Crew and Valolammas like this.
    • Sponsor MFR

This kind of feedback makes our day: I'll share it with the whole crew. Thanks -- glad your Zephyr continues to serve you well.