1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Interesting Gorilla Tape find today.

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Josh, Nov 25, 2012.

wildborego Loaded Pockets

more stuff to carry now

;)
    Gnarly likes this.

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

I've got some too! I have the 1" wrapped around a credit card riding in my Maxped EDC Admin pouch and the 3" around a CC in my Fatty tool bag. Great stuff.

Never knew it could be used as tinder. I'm going outside now to light some up. :rolleyes_revamped:
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

That roll is still almost the same size as a regular roll. Which is why I didn't get it when I saw it. But since this stuff is so much better than regular duct tape, I'l have to pick some up and wrap a card or something. I have a cheap roll of 25' x 1.5" that is convenient...but cheapo stuff.

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've been using a pen body to wrap tape around. I think i'm going to switch to one of the brass thingies I bought today, at least for this 1 inch stuff.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

I once used some to tape 2kg of chocolate behind my friends tv, and its still there to this day. I can't wait till he finds it xD
    jacobwilson99 and SAKplumber like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

Its a shame it does not come in clear. So many uses
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

Gnarly has a thread about something like that...it sounded like a good idea at the time, but I don't have half of the stuff he used.
    Gnarly likes this.

We have fire!
    [IMG][IMG]
    This little piece lasted about 30 seconds.
    kertap75 likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

I used his idea and put gorilla tape, and electrical tape on a sharpie. Great idea!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gnarly and SAKplumber like this.
  1. how easy to set ablaze?
    While a lot of things look great about it, I dont like the idea of having a really flammable piece in my bag.

It's not crazy flammable. The first piece I tried simply melted.

TweezersAndAToothpick Loaded Pockets

I keep this same 1" roll in my bag, but I use it so rarely I am thinking about making a mini roll w/ one of the golf pencils we have tons of at work (I don't work at a golf course, we hand them out for email mailing list signups). It is really great stuff though, have to agree w/ the OP.

Hellz Loaded Pockets

Be cool if they did a size that fitted in the Maxpedition Tin case...

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

As usual it seems to be rather hard to get in Germany. :(
    mole likes this.

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

IMO this looks much nicer then the silver tape on an old piece of bic pen that I was using
    [IMG]
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

That is the best looking Duct tape keychain fob I've ever seen:)
    mole and jacobwilson99 like this.

Signmaker Loaded Pockets

Best carry of 1" Gorilla Tape: Find a used spool of 1" medical tape. Might take some time for the average homeowner with limited power tool ownership to use one up, so maybe make a contact with an EMT or medical supply house. The sides of the spool limit the amount of crud that the side of the gorilla roll can pick up or cling to. Gorilla tape also doesnt like dealing with really tight curves, like when you wrap it around cards. Tends to flare/bubble/lift at the edge.

Best Gorilla Tape firestarter: Use with a mag-ferro firestarting tool. Coat the sticky side of a 4" piece with magnesium shavings. Starting at an end, twist it up tight, until you have a small tab at the opposite end. Aim sparks at the tab, the sparks light the magnesium, the magnesium lights the tape, and the magnesium twisted up keeps it alight in a wind. CAUTION: this stuff burns noxious, ventilation needed.

Best Gorilla Tape stickiness: For a really secure bond, clean the surface with alcohol, and heat to around 130-150 degrees F before applying tape. Can use a hard, dull implement to rub over the top of the tape to ensure a complete bond.

Worst Gorilla Tape use: Gorilla Tape is not to be used on gorillas, orangutans, or any member of the great ape family.

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

My next "upgrade" will be a 1 1/2 inch piece of copper pipe with the ends flared out to protect the tape sides. If it works that is lol. I found a 1 inch brass bushing that I thought would work but it was 1 inch total length do the tape wouldn't fit
    mole likes this.

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

its not really flammable. you can put a tire on fire, but its not flammable true to the meaning of the word. same is duck tape/gorilla tape - in my experience. you can set it on fire, but a lot of things will burn if i put a lighter / high temp sparks to them.