1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Help needed with "city" appropriate handheld gps

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by mattz357, Jan 9, 2013.

mattz357 Loaded Pockets

I am going to be headed to Paris for a trip in the near future and would like to get a handheld GPS that gives good maps of city streets and good directions from one address to the next if possible. Am I going to have to get a GPS like you would put in your car, or are the other handheld type devices capable of this? Is there a better option (other than a paper map or a phone app) than the GPS? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I've never used a GPS that wasn't in a car. Thanks very much for any info!

reppans Loaded Pockets

Well, it's not cheap but, I've been using a Garmin 60csx for some 6+ years now? It's a handheld, that runs on 2xAA (I use Eneloops) with full auto mapping capabilities (except voice prompts) that the auto versions have. I've loaded the city navigator and topo maps for half the US on one card and other half on another card.

I love it and use it for everything... Car, motorcycle, bicycling, kayaking (topo includes marine maps where I am) and hiking/camping, city sightseeing, etc. Around 20 hrs on a set of batts. Screens is small though. I think it's a series 62 something now.
    • In Omnia Paratus

zebedee Loaded Pockets

One problem with a GPS that you use in a car is, when you use it as a handheld type device, in a built up area such as a city CBD the buildings can make it difficult to obtain a satellite signal.

I have used my Garmin 3790 GPS I use in the car as a handheld device a couple of times when visiting overseas and it was hit and miss. I end up using the map app from my phone as the signal coverage is so much better as there are a greater number of cell towers in the city due to the large number of buildings.

Paper maps are great when you don't get any reception and have a quirky side effect. People will ask you if you need help finding directions to somewhere and give you tips as a local. I like to do this when I see someone who looks like they need help finding directions. It's a great way to meet people who come to visit your city.

Get a good public transport app for your phone, they are very handy for getting around.