1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Has anybody seen this firestarting tip?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Cornholio2188, Nov 13, 2012.

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I feel very old looking at this,,, jute braided waxed waterproof,,,,,, right,, ,,,,, and another of his tips,,,how to light a match!!

When I was into the Girl Guides we used to pour melted wax into a box of matches,,,, when cool it would be totally waterproof and a match could be sliced out of the block with a knife and struck against the blade to light it....... the coating of wax would then melt and could help even damp tinder to light up
    sveqs, Cornholio2188, Gnarly and 2 others like this.

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

I like how he held the frayed jute on the striker as he was sparking the fire steel. I have a terrible time getting the sparks to land where I want them to.
    Cornholio2188 likes this.

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Hmm-that's a good point...maybe it could be more applicable in colder climates?

That's the part I was most impressed with :giggle:

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

In the picture of my edc stuff the small tube besides the altoids tin is jute twine bundle soaked in wax. The tube is just to keep my pocket clean. I have wrapped a bundle like this in a shop rag soak it 10 minutes then left it set in the wet rag for two hours . Then I cut it with a knife to get enough to fray out and it lights easily with a fire steel By the way this is my test for water proof tinder. I may have to make one of those though
    Roy
    [IMG]
    jag-engr and Cornholio2188 like this.

sveqs Loaded Pockets

thanks for the heads up, must watch this more closely when I am not past my due bedtime ;)
    Cornholio2188 likes this.

Nice setup btw. Like the homemade mini pry!
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

Cool idea...thanks

Hahaha that's not me in the video, but hopefully every time you need to light a fire in the middle of nowhere with a piece of twine dipped in wax in a tube-you'll think of me.

Haha-it's long enough to help put you to sleep-but interesting enough that you'll still stay awake through the whole vid.

sveqs Loaded Pockets

with two kids and 'flexible' work hours "sleep" is no longer in my daily vocabulary
    (I am sure most of us here know what I mean)
    ...so when I finally decide to call it a day there is nothing to keep me awake (except for my wife of course) ;)

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

Since I bought a dremel, things like the mini prybar and the knife at the bottom of the picture happen when I get bored. The pry bar took a masonary bit to drill so it is hard. The knife started out as a old hickory 8" slicing knife .I made one of the tinder tubes . I searched around and found a piece of 3/8ths copper tube so I had to braid more jute to make it thick enough to fit the tube. I also added a piece of brass wire to pull it up with . it works good you just need to fray out the fiber good.