1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

GTID Key Modification

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by LausDeo, Nov 13, 2012.

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

I'm currently looking for the best way to make some glow in the dark keys or glow in the dark key covers. I have seen a couple modifications on the internet, one involving the use of Martha Stewart's glow in the dark paint caught my eye but I couldn't find it at Michael's today so I bought some Krylon white spray paint as a base coat, then Krylon glow in the dark spray paint to cover the base coat. I may consider finishing it off with a coat of clear Krylon gloss. I'm testing it on my spare keys so I will try and post pictures when i'm done but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, I am a little bit concerned about the paint wearing off into locks and stuff, do you think if I use this on a plain ignition key with no plastic cover that it could possibly ruin the ignition?

Stay tuned for pictures.

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

• In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

etch a pattern in your keys with dremel or something. Fill it with Swiss SuperLumiNova and binder and coat with clear epoxy. Luxmento has a great write up for adding it to watches. Just make sure you clear it after to protect it.
    LausDeo likes this.

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

This would probably turn out not only much nicer but classier too. This spray paint junk kind of stinks. I'll see what my finished product looks like. Still waiting for paint to dry.I wish I had the Martha Stewart stuff or some professional grade luminous material and resin over the top. I could etch any design or or words with a dremel tool.

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

As a locksmith I would recommend you do not coat the blade (teeth area) of the key. Even tiny flakes can goof up the small parts in your ignition.

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II
  1. just FYI - michaels and ACMoore both have coupons online all of the time, up to 50% off, and they'll take each others coupons.
    Just trying to save you some money if youre still shopping at one of the two
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

"Potting" GID powder is much more durable than a painted coat.

You will see the best results with a white or reflective base layer, dusted GID powder, and a clear coat on the top. I use white and clear fingernail polish myself. Or use 2 part clear epoxy with powder mixed in.
    nuphoria and LausDeo like this.

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

I need a dremel tool to make grooves into the key to deposit the GID powder. Another thing to add to my list.

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Drill a hole through the bit of the key you hold onto
    Probably around 3mm would be perfect
    If you can rough up the inside of the hole with a small engraving bit in the dremel to give the epoxy a bit to grip (you basically want a wider ring around the middle of the hole)
    Then put tape over one side, and carefully fill the hole with glowpowder/epoxy mix
    I prefer selleys ultra clear araldite for the epoxy (although ts getting hard to find)
    Let it set for 24 hours
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

Trader Horn has a cheap dremel like tool on sale.
    I think it was 20$.

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

Just got my glow powder in the mail.

I think I understand, basically like a glow dot wedged in the key? Someone suggested a pattern on the key but the key is pretty dang thin, I would be concerned I might go all the way through or the grooves won't be deep enough to hold a substantial amount of glow powder to be seen clearly.

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I
    I've been thinking of doing this for a while. Is there a specific type of tape I should use? I've never been sure of what to use that won't be epoxied to the key

LoneStarJosh Loaded Pockets

I'm a locksmith, and do NOT paint the blade of the key, only the head. Most likely, if you paint the blade, it won't even go into the ignition, and if it does, eventually it will all wear off INSIDE the ignition/lock. That mixed with the existing oil, or let's say later down the road you squirt some lube in your lock, it'll get all gummed up.

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Yes, that is what i was suggesting - a glow dot wedged in the key.

I have always used standard masking tape.
    whichever tape you use it will leave a slightly textured matte look to the epoxy on that side, it will also leave some tacky residue on the epoxy which can be cleaned with alcohol or zippo fluid
    just make sure its stuck down firmly around the edge of the hole

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

I won't. Upon further reflection this seems like it should be common sense to me.

I am going to post my finished result pictures soon.
    billybag likes this.

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Fill these ;)

[IMG]

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II
    LausDeo and billybag like this.

LoneStarJosh Loaded Pockets

Holy Swiss cheese key!!

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Challenge accepted...?

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

I bet this would look great filled with the GID powder I got. Why did you drill the holes? For the same purpose?
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I have done this with a couple of keys. The result is somewhat less than spectacular, but it works. You have the right idea with the chamfered holes. (Chrome did not like the spelling, but it is right.)

Regular scotch tape works fine for the back side.

Here is a key I did ~5 years ago. (Pic from today.)
    [IMG]
    billybag likes this.