1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Greatest view ever seen from a neighborhood department store...

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Coup de Grace, Nov 9, 2012.

Coup de Grace BST/Marketplace ban

I took this photo from a fairly recently built Target. Everytime I come to the store, I marvel at the view.
    [IMG]
    keith1234, swany66675, Xiii and 10 others like this.

T.H.Cone EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not much better than holding the high ground, eh?
    Y.Tribe and SAKplumber like this.

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

Did you by any chance use the iPhone 5's panoramic function to take that picture?
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer

FYI, the 4S also has the panoramic feature.
    SAKplumber likes this.

Yeah, used my iPhone 5 for the pic. Does a great job. Easy too!
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Very beautiful view. I've been playing with the panoramic feature on my Samsung phone and I think its a great feature. Still, nothing beats seeing the real thing with your own eyes.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
    Coup de Grace likes this.

Absolutely. I had to take the picture several times just to get a feel a fraction of what I could see.
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

I still don't know how people manage to take good pictures with phones but people seem to pull it off.

I actually don't know how people pull off pictures with normal cameras. I think there is a trick to all of this.

Maybe I need to find a book with the title "Photography for Idiots" or something similar.
    swany66675 likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's all how you manage negative space to produce a dynamic effect in a static medium.

(I almost sounded authoritative there, didn't I? :rofl:)
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

you shouldn't have said that. Okie Chick might try to find you one!

T.H.Cone EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't know about "idiots", but here is one for "dummies" that you might like.:p
    SAKplumber likes this.

I'm no photographer. In fact I'm severely colorblind.
    Call it dumb luck.
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

Ummm, what does all that mean?
    swany66675 and SAKplumber like this.

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I dont undestand it 100% either but it might be my english, i would say that, it is not about the objects but the space in between them.. The excat same thing we try to teach first year architecture students, and it is quite fundamental in any kind of art or design. Control and manage the negative space

In my picture, I don't even know what is the negative space. I just took the picture a few times and picked the one I thought looked better than the others.
    Syclone1436 likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Don't put your subject right in the middle. Everyone expects it and it's boring :)

That, I do remember. The Rule of 9 as it is called. Most cameras now have the grid function available.

Newcigarz Loaded Pockets

good advice

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I have always known of it as the 'rule of thirds' but probably the same idea...

Essentially photos with the subject bang in the middle (as most people would consider logical at first) just don't look particularly interesting to the human eye/mind, so make for a perfectly average holiday snap (this is me, standing next to something/somewhere interesting, next photo). The simplest way to fairly drastically improve your images and make them more interesting is to consider the rule of thirds - imagine drawing lines both horizontally and vertically across the frame to split the picture into thirds (making nine equal boxes) and rather than putting your subject bang in the middle, place it on one of these lines, or better yet where these lines intersect. One very simple rule, but one that can make a staggering difference to your pictures. I guess the best proof is to go out with a camera and try it out - take the same picture putting your chosen subject central in the image, and on one of the thirds, then compare how the two pictures look.
    As Coup De Grace mentioned, a lot of digital camera have this as a grid you can overlay on the screen when you take pictures to make it even easier to visualise.

If you really want to get into composition this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of how you can compose and build a photo, but is one of the simplest and best rules to pay attention to.

The rule of thirds is just the tip of the iceberg once you get into it - using leading lines to draw the eye around images, balancing objects in the frame, using perspective and viewpoints, taking care in how you frame the picture, choosing your backgrounds, colours, constrasts and far more can all help turn a fairly generic photo into something much more interesting.
    Then of course you get to have even more fun throwing the rules out the window and deliberately breaking them for artistic effect ;)
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I always try to take two photos at a time when at a gathering, one "posed", the other a few seconds later, still in a group, but more animated.
    armedtetrapod likes this.