1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Fountain Pens! Love em' or hate em'?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by KAMM, Sep 2, 2012.

• In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I use my FPs at work all the time.

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Until that one day when you really need to write something down that's important and it stops or worse, leaks on you one day. I hate disposeables. As for a good cheap pen, a Parker Jotter at around $6.oo each works nicely. Still inexpensive too.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

I have never tried the parker jotter FP, but the bp was a nice pen. It just feels cheap :(
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I use a "Fisher Jotter" as my backup. (Parker Jotter with Fisher cartridge)
    Ballpoint, always writes, but not as nice as the line from my FP.
    • +4 Supporter

AK Adventurer Loaded Pockets

Well, the Noodlers Konrad flex pen came in... GORGEOUS pen, Fabulous build! And it writes like a dream, so smoooooth! Except it drips all over the place... every paragraph or so, BLOP, big 1/4 round drop on the page. My journal and my fingers both have great red stains of Noodlers Red-Black right now.

So, did some reading(that I should have done BEFORE buying it :rolleyes:) Seems it it 50/50 on these, some write perfect out of the box, and some do this dripping bit... They have a problem with fiber bits stuck under the o-rings seals in the pistons, causing the vacuum leak, and thus nothing to hold the ink into the pen.. and so it just runs out. So, I gotta take it apart and clean it good, and re-lube the piston. Also, they tend to need the nib re-set on the feed, and the feed depth adjusted in the barrel. The bonus is that they are designed to be fully disassembled and reset by the consumer-- simple clean design.

Sorry for no pics, I don't have USB support on this computer(windows 98..) so I can't plug my camera in.:(

Sigh. I knew i shoulda played it safe and just got another Safari or Kaweco with a broad nib, and called it good... but noooo, I had to try a flex nibed pen...

Ah well, guess I'll learn more about how these feeds feed won't I?

G.
    mooshisho and Syclone1436 like this.
    • +4 Supporter

OK, I think I fixed it! set the nib in as far as it will go, and the feed too(Almost pushed the feed all the way inside...) then set the feed back out where it looked good, had 6 ink ''rings'' showing.

Wouldn't feed at all. (At least it changed, and I knew I was going in the right direction!)

Pulled it out one more space, showing 7 grooves/rings, and it writes great, and no drips or splotches after about 2 pages of writting!

Also, I had gone to Noodlers Walnut before moving anything, a dryer less watery ink than the Red-Black(no effect-it was still a dripper), and was almost empty after playing with it, so re-filled with Red-Black, and still no problems, a few pages later... So far so good!

I'll try to figure out how to post a pic of this thing....

G.
    Blair, mooshisho and Syclone1436 like this.

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

It's possible I'm judging it by the wrong standard. It stands to reason someone would choose a $4 pen for quite different reasons than they would choose a $100 pen, after all. I like the Pilot GT because I can toss it in the glovebox and it'll still work five hot Southern summers later, and when I was in college they were good for taking notes, but I wouldn't use one on a daily basis nowadays; they're just not [insert X factor here] enough.

What I like about my Pilots is I can fill them with any ink I want, from a bottle, without using a dropper...and then leave them capped with the nib pointing up for two months (I don't have to write checks very often), and I don't even have to drag the nib across a piece of junk paper first to get the ink flowing. Also, the nib never feels like it's scratching the paper, not even on cheap paper, and I've never gotten that feel from a steel nib; only the gold ones feel right. Oh, and the "fine" nib is like an "extra fine" by any other company's standard; I can draw the thinnest, lightest lines I've ever seen come out of a pen, without even having to practice first.
    mooshisho likes this.

Oh, that's easy. It makes the rare occasion when I do need to write something an occasion to look forward to, instead of being totally unremarkable. If I only had to drive once a month, I'd find a way to own a Ferrari for the purpose, and for the same reason -- so I could anticipate it beforehand, enjoy it during, and reminisce about it afterwards.
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:) I believe we were coming at it from different perspectives. In my mind, it's not the best nib out there, but for the price, it's definitely not garbage when you take into consideration all of the other ones that you can get in that price range. :D That's all. And I agree with you that while the $4.00 pen does its job, if I want to enjoy a writing session, I'd pick up a different one (likely the Prera).

While I like the way fountain pens look, I'm not in love with the very idea of a fountain pen -- I just like the fact that they're completely reusable and will probably last longer than I will before they wear out. If rollerballs were refillable the same way fountain pens are, I would likely be just as happy using a rollerball. So, when I buy a cheap pen, I'm not drawn to the fountain pen design when it gives me no advantage (such as I perceive it) over a comparable rollerball. Not having to worry about loaning a rollerball to someone and getting it back with a ruined bent nib is a definite plus, though.

I wanted to like the Prera, but it has a snap-fastened cap, and my experience with other fountain pens that have snap-fastened caps has been uniformly negative; they all dry out too fast. The reviews I read about the Prera online suggested the same problem exists with it as well. It's very unfortunate, because I wanted a nice-yet-inexpensive demonstrator pen to carry to work with me. I guess I'll have to invest in another Custom 92 or Custom 74 for the purpose. (a Custom 823 would be cool, but I don't fly often, so the ink-cutoff feature wouldn't be worth the extra couple hundred dollars to me.)
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ But they do have refillable rollerballs... it fills the same way as a fountain pen - piston, eyedropper, cartridge, converter... :)

I use fountain pens daily for school notes, so I personally prefer the snap caps. Again, to each their own. :)

Scott Mason Loaded Pockets

mooshisho likes this.

Really? Hmm. Do the rollerballs last as long as the fountain pens do? I can always replace a bent nib if I need to.
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

In terms of ink or overall pen quality?

Ink will always depend on paper, how much ink is laid down, tank/cartridge size, and all that fun stuff.

Otherwise, quality is pretty high up there considering that most of your favorite fountain pen makers will have a rollerball option as well.

Pen quality. Ink is a consumable item.

I'd seen the fancy rollerballs before, but I always figured they used ballpoint-style cartridges, with a replacement tip built-in. I didn't know there were ones available that could refill from a bottle.
    mooshisho likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ YEP! :D I look forward to seeing what you end up getting. :rolleyes:

I really wanted the Acme rollerball that looked like a crayon but I was sad to find that it use the ballpoint-styled cartridges. :( I'm still on the search for the "pefect" rollerball. I've been refilling the Pilot Precise V5's... (with favorite fountain pen ink colors). :)

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I've never heard of refillable ball pens. This is going to require some looking into. Half the reason I like fountain pens is I can mix my own colors of ink, but they're just not too good at some tasks so I have other pens as well.

Hear that? It's the sound of my wallet whimpering. Thanks Moo! :p
    mooshisho likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Tis refillable rollerballs, not ballpoints. Just thought I'd make that clear. :p

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Presumably roller balls since the ink would be pretty thin. Either way works for me, as long as I can use it on a multi-part form.
    • +4 Supporter

Another option os the Kaweco cartridge fill rollerballs;
    http://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Class...rtridge-Roller-Ball-Pens-Medium-Point/ct/1229
    takes the short international cartridges, or a piston converter...
    OR eye dropper fill;
    http://www.jetpens.com/blog/eye-dro...h-the-new-kaweco-sport-roller-ball-pen/pt/232

Thats what my next pen purchase will be.(its actually what I was in the process of buying when I got the Konrad flex pen.... Browsing is dangerous!) I'm curious about rollerballs in general, and being able to use my favorite inks is a big draw.(and I already have and love 2 Kaweco sport pens!) Gotta be careful looking at these/buying online, Kaweco also makes a sealed cartrige style rollerball-- NOT FP ink refillable.

G.
    mooshisho likes this.