1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Field Expedient Coffee

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Cobra 6 Actual, Jan 1, 2013.

thePlumbah Meowderator

I guess I can let that slide;)
    KAMM and mooshisho like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

And so it was written... and shall it be done:

[IMG]

Freaken delicious.
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

That was not the best idea. xD hahaha I have so many things running through my mind right now! :p At least I'm getting stuff done and not just staring at the ceiling.
    Norse Scots and SAKplumber like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Did anyone mention aeropress pretty cool to be able to make coffee easily. Even though I don't like coffee lol

Sent from my Android toothbrush!
    Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:p Quite a few, actually.
    Warfusion and SAKplumber like this.

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

Boddum, I use it for tea. Every thing boddum brand I have used is top quality
    KAMM, Cobra 6 Actual and mooshisho like this.

Good luck on the interview:D
    That is one job I could do there is a point that coffee smell make me physically sick to my stomach
    EDIT I ment to say could not do EDIT
    Last edited by plumberroy, Jan 6, 2013
    Cobra 6 Actual and mooshisho like this.

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Looking back on this thread I now realize that as the OP I actually mis-named the thread's title. What I wanted to know about and what Forum members somehow figured out was that I was interested in the equipment and methods of making coffee in the field; specifically while backpacking. Thanks, y'all, for reading my mind!

An untouched discussion area is what can be substituted for ground coffee to make the final product. I know about chicory and its history in Louisiana and it's use during the American Civil War: essentially, the root of the plant (which is related to endive) is dried, roasted, and ground up to be used as a coffee substitute.

The flavor of chicory blended with coffee is difficult to describe: perhaps 'woody' is a good word. The blend I have is 30% chicory. Not sure what 100% would be like. Also, it appears that chicory has no caffeine in it. Dang, that might be a deal breaker.

OK, Forum members, what other substitutes for coffee have you used? Also, any further comments on chicory coffee?
    mooshisho likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:) Chicory blends are delicious.

Not sure if this counts, but I often sprinkle cinnamon into "bad" coffees to make it taste better. :)

See, Mooshisho, I knew that you liked cinnamon ... that's why I recommended that Fireball cinnamon whiskey to you.
    mooshisho likes this.

chicory root can be eaten raw or cooked and the flower,stems and leaves can be too ! along with plantian and dandelion and Broadleaf Plantain there is a salad bar growing in most grassy area :D
    Cobra 6 Actual and mooshisho like this.
    • +1 Supporter

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Chicory Root and Dandelion Root are the only two dried, roasted roots that I'm aware of as an alternative to coffee beans. Of course, cocoa beans have a small amount of caffeine in them.

Edit: Chia seed provides an energy boost similar to caffeine, but it does not contain caffeine.

Thanks, Mudinyeri ... it just happens that in my area of Virginia both of those plants are plentiful. I may have to do some digging and drying this Spring.

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Has anyone tried making their own version of the newer instant coffees? As I understand it they are micro ground coffee mixed with instant coffee.should be simple to duplicate cheaper

Haven't tried that yet. But, you're right: that is what's in those Via coffee packets (micro ground coffee). I wonder how small the micron size is on that stuff and if it can be ground that fine at home. Ideas, anyone?
    • In Omnia Paratus

Norse Scots Loaded Pockets

Not sure if this is something the op may be looking for, but i love it :bundle-of-joy_throwvertical:
    coffee at work is horrible, so i bought this from amazon
    double shot french press, has good screen for grounds or loose tea, and another screen were you drink through
    and the bottom has a small canister for the extra shot of grounds, hence the double shot
    ive used any type of grind in it also, a plus to some may be that you add your cream, sugar or what u like at the same time
    as your water
    also has a large biner hole for hanging
    has a twisty to cover the dring hole that works good also, added plus it comes with your standard
    lid for regular drinking
    http://www.liquidplanet.com/Planetary-Design-Double-Shot-Travel-French-Press-Mug-p-192.html

this is my home french press :)
    http://www.liquidplanet.com/Bodum-Chambord-Coffee-Press-p-702.html
    got the same one at bed bath and beyond, for a local spot

hope that helps

Appreciate the links, Norse Scots. The Double Shot looks interesting. And, the Bodum you use at home has a large following here.

On the Double Shot: how well does it do keeping your coffee warm?
    • In Omnia Paratus

Norse Scots Loaded Pockets

keeps hot for a good amount of time, but not hours lol
    i make hot water thru the coffee maker at work, we have 2 pots
    get my coffee or tea goin and do work stuffs, stays hot for while but i tend to drink it pretty quick
    usually 2 cups of coffee then couple cups o tea
    does great for loose leaf tea too
    mainly i like it for work, they provide coffee but its terrible
    and wanted a way to have my good coffee and tea with out making a whole pot
    traveling i have a big stanley coffee thermos to haul the hot water
    only thing as im sure you know, you need water to rinse out the grounds

Thanks for the additional info, Norse Scots. Much appreciated!

thePlumbah Meowderator

I love mine, but the little twisty cover on the press lid broke. (it comes with a travel lid without a press too)
    Meh...its a year old...I could buy another press lid from them I'm sure, but it still works.
    Personally I find that it keep the coffee hot long enough that I don't get to start drinking it right away. Once its cool enough to drink it doesn't last long anyway:smile_coffee: