1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Fenix E15 Flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by olletsocmit, Nov 29, 2012.

• +1 Supporter

olletsocmit Banned

Yup will take some soon. Wanta take with my macro lens when I'm home

| Sent from my iPhone 4S |
    Sniperx7 likes this.
    • +1 Supporter

olletsocmit Banned

Not the best quality, but here you go.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Sniperx7 likes this.

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

Thanks! It looks like it uses an optic rather than a reflector, right? I'm wanting one more and more! Yet another thing added to my wishlist!!! It's getting too long!:stomp:

sx7

ecksdog Loaded Pockets

I just returned mine to Amazon. When I would unscrew enough to turn light off the lens would only be about 2 loose turns from falling off. I ordered a streamlight protac 1L w a clickie. Hopefully it will fill my needs.
    • +1 Supporter

olletsocmit Banned

Light rocks for being so cheap!

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I've carried an E15 since they came out. I preordered. When I used to carry it loose in my pocket, I carried it in a little usb drive slip cover (like the one pictured below). The lens looks as good as the day I bought it. Nowadays I carry it with my other EDC items in the case pictured below. The case likewise protects the lens, and it still looks like new. Paracord lanyard, just big enough for me to get my hand through and twist around my wrist (the little thing is so small I fear it would be very easy to drop without the lanyard).

There are just too many good review sites out there to whine about getting a light that didn't meet ones expectations. The E15 specs met my wants, and has lived up to my expectations perfectly. No complaints at all.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Last edited by dmattaponi, Dec 10, 2012
    ANJARI and derfyled like this.

HappyStuffing Loaded Pockets

I have EDC'ed the Fenix E15 for a little over a year now. Loosely in my pocket with my keys. Sure, the lens does have a few scratches on it, but nothing major and nothing that shows up even on the obligatory white wall test. You actually wouldn't notice any scratches on it unless you were really trying to look for it by shinning a light on the lens from an oblique angle to purposely create shadows.

Now on the issues of batteries. I use rechargeable cr123's in it from DealExtreme and DinoDirect. I just make sure I buy the 3V variety. It does severely limit the runtime, however. I have tested it before with my stopwatch.

On Mid mode at 75 lumens, it runs 40mins on 3V cr123 rechargeable before it drops down to what seems like a faint unusable glow.

Also, I have accidentally put in the usual 3.7V cr123 rechargeables in the E15 as well. It works. It is noticeably brighter, and all 3 modes still function. I did notice that it got hot though. Too hot in fact. This was in the span of a few minutes. That is when I realized I had inserted the wrong batteries inside and that I was probably not a good idea to continue to use it as such.

So to sum up:
    Yes, it WILL work with regular 3.7V cr123 rechargeables but you'll probably burn it out in (probably) after a few minutes. The good news is at least it'll give you a warning to hurry up and shut it off before you completely kill your flashlight.

Yes, you can also use 3.0V cr123 rechargeables successfully as I have been doing for over a year. The tradeoff is steep in terms of runtime. But so is paying for prime CR123's when you toy around with your flashlight as much as I do.

So just stick with the rechargable 3.0V CR123's and you'll be fine :)

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Thanks for posting the info. Have been considering the E15 as a replacement for a 4Sevens Mini-CR123 that I lost (bummer). How is the tint on the beam? The 4Sevens Mini-123 had a greenish tint that I wasn't crazy about, but it was powerful. Have always liked Fenix products and the E15 is less expensive than another 4Sevens. Trying to save $$$ at the moment and so I can't see spending another $39 to replace the 4Sevens.

Haven't been on EDCF for a while, trying to stop buying too many goodies, but this is just too much fun to resist completely....

Mister Scribble, the tint on my E15 is MUCH nicer than that of my 4Sevens Mini-CR123 S2 (which is green). The E15 has a much more natural, white with maybe a touch of yellow tint (at least to my eyes). Regardless, it's much more natural than the S2.

Thanks so much for the comments, and good to hear from you. Hope you are well. I don't recognize a lot of the names I see on EDCF lately.

I think the green tint on th 4Sevens mini is from under-driving the LED, or so I've heard.

How do you like the build quality on the E15? The 4Sevens was very small and light but didn't seem as sturdy as some of my old Fenix lights.
    Sniperx7 and dmattaponi like this.

Yes, I'm doing okay. Thank you for the kind comments, and likewise I hope you are also doing well. I tend to visit in spurts, but I always enjoy it when I visit the site. My experience is pretty superficial, but over the last few years I've purchased a Fenix P1D, two E15', three E05, and four E01'. During that time I've also purchased a 4Sevens Mini CR 123, Mini AA, and two Mini CR2. Although I have nothing to support what I'm saying other than "feel", I absolutely agree with you that the Fenix lights feel more durable, and the build quality better. That said, I've not have any problems with the 4Sevens lights, other than the Mini CR123 which likes to mode skip (which always frustrated me). I gave the 123 to my son, the AA to my daughter, and one of the CR2 to my wife to keep in her purse, and the other CR2 to keep in her car. I like and use the Fenix lights. I keep an E05 bedside as my get up in the night, another on my keychain, and a third in my desk. One E15 has been my EDC since they came out. A second E15 is kept hanging near the bed in case I need something brighter than the E05. The P1D is in my vehicle. The E01' are dispersed around the house. Sorry that I can't provide any real evidence to support my view, but I do prefer the Fenix lights to the 4Sevens (at least those I have owned).

If I remember correctly, I had the same problem with it. I think I used that silicone grease often recommended after cleaning the threads with alcohol. I can't remember if it helped or not. I also used it on my P1D, because if I remember correctly I wanted it to turn a little easier. After the cleaning and lube it turns easier but sticks a little at the screw down end of the turn. I still enjoy using the P1D. Feels solid and reliable, and it's pretty bright.
    dmattaponi likes this.

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

What wallet is that in the picture?

It's just a little two compartment navyfederal.org credit union pouch that I use. I edited out the words for the picture above...
    [IMG]
    Last edited by dmattaponi, Dec 13, 2012
    • +1 Supporter

olletsocmit Banned

It's official... I have already lost my E15, already. I will miss you. RIP! I have to now decide, get another or upgrade. I really liked this light. I'm sad that I lost it, but even more cuz I had my fav Atwood mini Ti bead on there too!

[IMG]

Sorry to hear. I find lanyarding stuff to my belt helps.
    • +1 Supporter

olletsocmit Banned

I am sad I lost my E15.... Even more b/c now I have 15 brand new 123's at home!

...but, I just purchased a Peak Eiger! I got it from oveready
    - Optical head w/ modified led
    - AAA SS long body w/ keychain
    - ordered a Ti pocket clip
    - waiting to order the back switch
    - going to run rechargeable lithium's

• In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

You could always donate the batteries to the giveaway (hint hint)

Bryce357 Loaded Pockets

you can get a 12 pack of surefire cr123a's on ebay for under 25 bucks. cr123s last forever, especially on a light like this. I've had my Eagletac d25c2 for 3 or 4 months and only just changed the batteries yesterday. gets used alot too, plus i like to play with it at home