1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

EXCELSA FRAMELOCK FOLDING KNIFE By Maxpedition

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bull_paqqy, Sep 19, 2013.

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Victorinox is a good example of a company that did it right. They're a massive company that had long spun off into different types of gear (watches, etc) when they started making bags. Victorinox had enough capital that they could afford to "go big" and do it right. And now they've had enough success in the backpack industry that their bags are available at Walmart.

Maxpedition, on the other hand is a much smaller company, and they've merely dipped their toe into the knife industry with a few rather boring designs. How well they succeed as knifemakers really depends on how willing they are to invest in their knifemaking division until they succeed. I don't think this is a very impressive debut, and I wouldn't expect these knives to become popular beyond the rabid Maxpedition fanboys, but it's possible that it might be enough to give them a foothold.

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

no problem! you did not insult or harm me. no need to apologize! we are all friends here. well...most of us.....or brothers in addiction.....;) :rofl:
    warchild likes this.

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

I know it's a angled stud, it looks like it was free handed with a Dremel by a half blind dude in Beijing and superglued in (not even gonna mention the unfinished appearance)

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

I saw an ad on another forum for this and admit it looked intriguing. I have a small Sebenza that I love but for one thing - there I times I don't want to carry it due to the cost of replacing it if I lose it (mostly when backpacking). I carry a Boker Anti-MC titanium framelock with a ceramic blade sometimes at work because it is similar to the Sebbie but slimmer and slightly less threatening looking. I worry a bit about the ceramic blade when used in outdoor purposes - sharp as heck but generally not thought of as a hard use knife. I also have a Spyderco Sage 2 which I like - although I admit that for some purposes the leaf blade shape is not ideal.

This looked to me like a possible alternative to the sebenza - as a backup or harder use knife when you don't want to carry the sebbie. I'm not wild about the maxpedition logo and don't own any of their bags so I don't have much brand loyalty or perception one way or the other. I do like the clip design and that it can be used tip up or tip down (I'm a big fan of tip up, a flaw of the Boker is a tip down only clip).

Surprised that the reaction is as negative as it has been - I didn't realize maxpedition had such a poor reputation around here.

sungame Loaded Pockets

Agreed! However, that goes for certain other products as well. I don't like to buy shoes or watches from clothing companies either.

Blerv Loaded Pockets

You can buy a Sage2 for $140'ish too. It's Titanium, made in Taiwan and uses CPM-S30v. The difference is I can guarantee excellence.