1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

EDC in NYC

Discussion in 'Travel' started by jda, Dec 8, 2012.

jda Loaded Pockets

God, how I hate "the city", but my girl wants to see the tree.

What, other than a locking folding knife, should I not bring?

jda Loaded Pockets

Well then I can avoid the city all together.

This thread is now finished, thanks

:p
    chas353 and Fukurai like this.

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think, Copenhagen can be very much like New York weapon wise. so i would say not carry anything that is primarily an impact weapon, like comtech stinger, kubaton and stuff like that, also i would avoid tactical pens like the UZI ones that is like 65% imapact device and 35% pen. I would carry a SAK/Leatherman Kick/juice/Case Sodbuster/Spyderco Pingo. and some heavy keys on a carabiner.
    But i have no idea about what the laws is in New York, im just guessing.

jda Loaded Pockets

Is it bad I thought you were talking about.....

[IMG]
    chas353 likes this.

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have never heard about that before, is it tobacco?
    Edit: the gods of google tells me that it is american snuff, no word on how it got its name
    chas353 and Fukurai like this.

XCRunner Empty Pockets

Good luck out there. I am here for the weekend and was supper careful about what I had on me. I stilled carried, just a beat up old crkt, just in case it was found and taken away.

Side note on why this city just makes me shake my head. I went to go see the 911 site and made sure I didn't have my knife in me, but I made sure to bring my pepper spray. Well they make u go through airport type security and I while they were going through my bag they noticed the spray and said I had to throw it away or leave... So I left, I was really bummed out cuz I had just stood in line for 25 min and really wanted to see everything, but there was no way I'm walking around the rest of the day and night, in New York City, with my wife and 2 friends essentially naked, it's just not going to happen. It's just sad really what that city is becoming....

Again good luck out there and stay sharp, no pun intended.

Runner

jda Loaded Pockets

Its a dip, easiest way to explain it is like a snuff but much coarser cut. Easier to pinch and keep packed.
    I'm not fond of the straight, its got a hint of "wintergreen", but the "normal" long cut is the :censored:.
    Last edited by jda, Dec 9, 2012

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

Maybe someone can fill in some blanks for me, in NYC you are allowed to carry a non locking folder?

So lets say i carry a spyderco upk would that be "legal".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheBoyScout22 Loaded Pockets

So did I LOL!!!!

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

jackknife Loaded Pockets

The better half and I just got back from NYC a few days ago. We took the commuter train from Washington D.C. to NYC for the day, because the 'ol lady wanted to see the Christmas stuff in the city. I can tell you what I carry on our NYC trips, if that's any help.

There's not a lot of use for much knife in NYC, so I just carry a small SAK on my keychain. Usually a Victorinox classic. The wife has a Victorinox waiter in her purse if a larger blade or corkscrew is needed. I do carry a AA Minimag LED flashlight in my side pocket where I can get to it easy. A flashlight is always handy to have when it gets dar as it does every night. Plus it makes a great kuboton that's perfectly legal.

I always carry one of my Irish blackthorn walking sticks with me. With the Americans With Disability act, they can't ask you why you 'need' a cane, and as far as I'm concerned, my blackthorn is a 'cane'. It's already right there in my right hand walking down the street. I think 34 1/2 inches of stout blackthorn beats some 4 inch folder in a pocket.

Do bring a good amount of small bills for street food. NYC is a great place to eat, either on the street or a real restaurant. The city is a great place to spend a day.
    sandman-23, Jessero and kertap75 like this.

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Hi Jackknife, good to see you posting. Hope all is well, and Happy Holidays. Glad you enjoyed your trip to NYC here. It's actually been some time since I've been in Manhattan.

jackknife Loaded Pockets

We always enjoy a trip up the 'city'. Try to go every other month or so, exhibits at the Met, the Guegenheim, take in a show, eat some great ethnic food that isn't available even here in the nations capital. My mom always said there was no such thing as good pizza south of New Jersey. Every trip up is an aventure, and we start to feel the anticipation on the train ride in the morning.

There's even been a few times we're talked about maybe letting one of the kids move home for a year while we rent a small apartment for a year in NYC just to get to really know the city. Just a thought we have now and then. It's sooo different than the Washington D.C we're used to.

Happy holidays to you to bud!

carrot Loaded Pockets

The city is way less dangerous than you think. And if you avoid the tourist traps and keep your toys clipped IWB or unclipped and tucked away in your pocket, you'll never have cause to part with your EDC.

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I think that's true of most cities. I admit I am a city boy, having grown up in Washington D.C., so to me the country is a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there. Now in retirement, the better half and I are spending our kids inheritance by visiting the places we always wanted to see. That is mostly cities. London, Rome, Paris. I don't know why, but if you take the 'ol lady to Paris, everything yo want for the next year is no problem. New gun, no problem.New motorcycle, no problem. The women love beng taken to Paris. For the next solar year your her hero.

But I've found most cites are the same the world over. There's good parts and bad parts. Stay out of the slum and your fine. Go out for dinner and drinks, but be back at your hotel by midnite and get a good nights sleep. You're old man was right when he said nothing good happens after midnight. New York city is typical. Unless you go looking for trouble, it's hard to not have a great time. Trust the advice of the hotel staff and taxi drivers. Use your head and use common sense. Look up the top ten most dangerous cities in the U. S. and your in more danger in St Louis or Stockton California, or Birmingham Alabama than in New York City.

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

I want to take a trip there so bad. Would love to spend a whole night out to see what the city is really like.

jda Loaded Pockets

Its honestly nothing worth writing home about, its just another city.
    (although, that could be b/c I'm in driving distance)

Vegas is much more fun.....
    Jessero likes this.

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

All I have is Tampa and St. Pete, nether can hold a candel to a big city.
    • In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

I'm off there in Jan and plan to go pretty much naked (EDC wise). There's no point in trying to take a blade out of Australia and then trying to get away with having it IN NYC and then try to get in BACK in to Aus for me. I think I'll stick to my keychain tools including a derma safe blade. Which I hope will be safe? Is there any need for blades in NYC tourist areas during the daytime though?