1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Doherty Keyholders - The Side Car

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Rfd62106, Jan 8, 2013.

Rfd62106 Loaded Pockets

Anyone familiar with these? http://www.thesidecar.com/

I saw another member had posted a pic with this link saying that they have been using it and they seemed to like it. I tried asking them for more details and some other pics but havent gotten anything back yet. I tried doing some reasearch but i cant find any real reviews, or pics (other than the very lame photos on the company's website). Im pretty interested so i thought i'd reach out to the rest of the forum for other peoples input as well.

Looking for your thoughts on how you think this would work. So you like the idea? Any experience with this product? But my main goal is to hopefully get some pics of the item in use! Im specifically looking for pics of the back side so i can see how it attaches to your belt.

Thanks in advance!

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've seen those at the mall and like the idea but don't think it would work for me. Now if all 3 spots had separate releases I think I would be interested.
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

They look good. Definitely one for the classic car crowd. It can be a bit Hipster/bike messenger though. IMO.

Sent from a remote location using smoke signals.

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

shame the website doesnt show the clip for clipping it to your belt. good idea in general. as long as nothing bumps into the release button

Rfd62106 Loaded Pockets

I know someone on here has one and was hoping for some pics. Seemed to me there was a good chance others had it too. Thought this thread would get more attention than it did. Oh well...

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

The thread has only been open a bit more than a day, so I wouldn't give up hope just yet. ;)

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

chevyscrounger Loaded Pockets

My mom got me a Chevrolet branded one similar to that a few years ago for Christmas. Mine had a nylon loop with button closure that went over your belt though. I carried it for a long time and it never accidently unhooked on me. I liked it because I could grab my keys and hit the release button with my thumb to get them quickly. I eventually "upgraded" to a Maxpedition Keyper which i find harder to get my keys off of.
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Clip: http://cur.by/pub/temp/sidecarback.JPG

Clip goes to 1.5" and seems sturdy enough. I'm actually not too worried about accidental release, but I wonder if it'd be too fiddly for reattachment. Right now my full size carabiner detaches and re-attaches at "1-1-0 speed". The sidecar would be quick to detach, but probably not to reattach. Remember that modern seat belt buckles have large, funnel-shaped openings to accept the insert, and are held firmly in place for smooth and consistent attachment.

Thechansen Loaded Pockets

I just got sick of using the Keyper and was looking at various carabiners. I liked the belt attachment idea of the Keyper, but it's took much of a :censored: to take keys off of. I just ordered the Chrome Key Chain so I'll let you know how that goes. I love my Chrome bag so I'll throw a little extra money their way.

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just wish there was one like this with separately removable sections
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

The more I look at the Chrome version, the more I'm interested. I can get it in low profile black, which I like. I can probably remove the upper strap and screw it down to a Mini Tek-Lok for belt-level carry, which I like. I can turn the bottom area into a Doherty-style multi-hole device with a drill and thereby further reduce size, which I like.

The male end of the buckle is still pretty freaking long, but maybe I could DIY a smaller insert and retain the quick disconnect feature. Also, I still wonder how easy it would be to reconnect.

@Thechansen, when you get it, can you please post pics? They say the thing's only an inch wide, which would be rather tiny.

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Will do. The Side Car looked like it would stick out a lot, and I don't tuck in my shirts because I'm an adult child, so most holsters/belt clips/sheaths look stupid. Which is why I initially went with the Keyper.
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Indigo's link says the buckle's around 1 3/4" square, which makes a lot of sense to me from an ergo perspective. If the Chrome's really just an inch wide, it might get awful fiddly.

I just got an idea though: if the two are compatible, the female portion of the Chrome with the male portion of the Doherty would seem ideal to me. Black, short, Tek-Lokable.

EDIT: Indigo's link has pics where the three split ring attachment holes are the numbers 3, 0, 1, instead of just squares. Wird.

jymkym1 Loaded Pockets

I just received the doherty sidecar and i love it, rock solid build, i have no worries about it coming unlatched by accident, easy to release and quick to attach, and still light weight even with keys, i cant tell i have it on my side.
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Can the Doherty be easily disassembled? If I can take it apart and have it powdercoated or otherwise made black, I'd be more interested in it. =)

jymkym1 Loaded Pockets

I cant see anyway to take the buckle apart without actually bending the metal to get it apart, i think it is pressed together with a press machine, it is very solid.
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Nice to know it's solid, but I guess that restricts its moddability.

[IMG] alright got the Chrome Key Chain in the mail today. The buckle is pretty strong and it's the perfect length to slip into a pocket but the buckle is a bit loud if it jiggles. The weight of a single key (for reference that's a Ford Focus key fob) isn't enough to weigh it down to stop the buckle from jiggling around. A Fenix e05, and some additional keys helped.
    vegassprky likes this.