1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Cold Steel Recon 1 - Review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by FortySix&2, Nov 9, 2012.

FortySix&2 Banned

[IMG]

Cold Steel Recon 1 Specifications:
    Blade Length: 4"
    Blade Thickness: 3.5 mm
    Overall Length: 9 3/8"
    Steel: Japanese Aus 8A Stainless w/ Black Tuff-Ex Finish
    Weight: 5.3 oz
    Handle: 5 3/8" Long G-10
    Pocket Clip: Stainless Pocket / Belt Clip

Today I am reviewing the Cold Steel full size Recon 1 spear-point knife. This is my first Cold Steel knife and after using it the last two weeks I must say I am impressed with their quality, durability and value. At over 9" inches overall length, this knife is big. I will just get that out of the way right away. It may not be the 'best' EDC knife but that's all personal opinion. I carried this knife every day for about two weeks without and problems.

Moderator Note: Portions of this post removed from view as a violation of forum Rule 9, which reads in part: Any commerce or invitation for commerce should be contained within the MarketPlace sub-forums. Posts that contain invitations to bid, sales promotions, offer of services or feelers outside these locations will be edited or deleted. And your linked blog has online retailers as advertisers who are in direct competition with the forum store.

Skawtty Loaded Pockets

Good review. I have the tanto version and I love it. My only complaint is the poor quality coating on the blade. I have owned black coated knives before and never really had any issues. My Recon 1 started flaking off the first day I had it out of the box. Other then that, it's a fantastic knife. I agree with you that a coyote brown version would be fantastic.

FortySix&2 Banned

Yeah mine has started to chip to. Ah well. What can ya do? I used to throw a fit over that but it shows a little more character about the knife when you see it's actually been used. Kinda like my theory behind owning a exotic car - if I can't drive it year-round, what good is it to me sitting in the garage 80% of the year.

But yah, a OD Green and Coyote brown handle version would be awesome.

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I like Cold Steel's approach to colors. Just like Henry Ford, "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black."

FortySix&2 Banned

Ha, haven't heard that one before. The black is nice. OD Green and black would be my second favorite color combo on a knife.

darth_guy101 Loaded Pockets

Just read the review, nice. I have been on the fence between the CS Hold Out 2 and the Recon 1 spear point.

FortySix&2 Banned

I love the recon1. It's probably the best budget knife I have for rugid hardcore cutting task. Check out our affiliates for good price on that Recon1.

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I like the mini personally. All the abilities 75% the size.
    defuse kit likes this.