1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Australian Rescue Knife

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by MedicInTraining, Nov 9, 2012.

• In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

Before starting this review I would like to point out some key points:

• I bought this knife myself, I’ve had correspondence with the seller post purchase but I’m writing this review for other Australians
    • I am not a knife expert. I don’t own a plethora of knive
    • I bought the following knife off of ebay for $25, from an Australian seller.
    • The knife is legal in Australia (granted you have a purpose for carrying as with all knives).
    • The knife is made out of 440 Stainless Steel.
    • The blade at is made in Taiwan so it's not Australian Made but it is available in Australia
    I meant to have pictures to upload with this but my camera doesn't like me at the moment but there will be pictures to come!

Features
    This knife is marketed as a tactical rescue folding knife and the specifications live up to the name.

Blade
    The blade itself is a combination drop point/tactical tano half serrated edge made out of 440 SS and Cerakoted Black to match the knife. The locking mechanism is a liner lock. The blade is 6cm (2.36”) from tip to hilt. The knife is 15.4cm (6.09”) folded out. The blade came sharp (not split a hair sharp) and was able to cut through the remnants of a seat belt when I was doing simulations. The blade also came perfectly centred.

There is a hole for an ambidextrous thumb stud on the blade.
    Positives:
    · The combination between straight and serrated makes it perfect for a rescue knife.
    · The tip is sharp enough that cutting through the seat belts was like cutting through butter
    · The knife is easy to access
    · The knife came perfectly centred
    Cons:
    · After flipping it out 100+ times I’ve found that the knife is quite loose and flops about slightly
    · Thumb stud isn’t a standard feature- you’ll have to source your own!

Seat Belt Cutter
    The seat belt cutter is recessed in the opposite side of the handle to the knife. It is big enough to slide the seatbelt through but small enough to protect small fingers. I was not able to slice through the seatbelt remnant, as there was not enough traction on the seat belt. But I think with enough force it would suffice in an emergency.
    Positives:
    · The blade appears to be sharp enough to cut through seat belt if needed

Cons:
    · The location of the seat belt cutter makes it slightly awkward to hold and gain traction on it

Glass Breaker
    The glass breaker is located on the end of the knife and is not a spring-loaded breaker. It is a small stud on the base of the knife with a convex tip.
    Positives:
    · It’s not spring loaded so you’re not relying on a spring to break the window
    · It is a single piece of 440SS that extends down into the body of the knife so it’s strength is increased
    Cons:
    · Because of it’s relatively small size I would not like to be using it without gloves or unless I HAD to
    · The location of the seat belt cutter means people with small fingers could possibly slip into it when breaking utilizing the glass breaker.

Pocket Clip
    The pocket clip does not allow for deep carry but it is solid enough that I feel safe carrying it on the inside of my belt or in my paramedic pants.

Knife Aesthetics
    The knife is a black body with a “Police” badge on it. It’s an imitation of a more popular knife but not an exact imitation. The seller is planning on getting new ones designed with their own logo on the body as well as increasing the width of the seat belt cutter to accommodate an oxy wrench to increase it’s EMS popularity.

Overall Impressions
    If you’re living in Australia then there are limited options regarding affordable folding rescue knives. There are even more limited options when it comes to importing the affordable knives to Australia. If you were on the market for a rescue specific knife in Australia then I think you’d be crazy skipping over this option. It’s a strong and hardy knife that will be able to put up to many different challenges along the way.

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

how about pictures?

greetings 2 your unwilling camera:mad:;)
    mooshisho likes this.

toemke Loaded Pockets

Yes, we DEMAND pictures!!! :p
    mooshisho likes this.

toemke Loaded Pockets

Oh and also this thread would be better suited in either the knives or in the gear review section. If you don't mind I'll report it to a moderator to move it.

EDIT: Scratch that, I don't know why I thought this was in First aid, my bad.
    Last edited by toemke, Nov 9, 2012
    • Administrator

xbanker Ad Hoc Admin

Thanks to your precise description, I'm thinking this is your knife.
    2012-11-09_165050.jpg
    MedicInTraining likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

We have a winner! This is the precise knife! However it's not a true Boker. It has the Boker stamp on the blade but the seller doesn't market it as a Boker.

When I get a chance I'll take some on my phone that might have to suffice until my camera decides to love me again!
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

LOL! No knife could rescue Australia! :rofl: JK, of course ;)

toemke Loaded Pockets

Oh, it's a Boker. While I've never owned this construction of a Boker rescue knife (and with good reason), I have fondled quite a few. It's cheap here in Hungary as well, so a lot of colleagues have one and think it is a professional rescue knife, while never really testing it. Well it's not! I've seen the glassbreaker fail multiple times on a window (thankfully only on an exercise), while my Victorinox Rescue tool had no problem. This type of seatbelt cutter is a pain to use and only works if it is razor sharp. But with a Boker, it never is and even if it was, it would go dull very quickly and this type of construction can't be really sharpened. The knife itself is of poor quality, although you really can't expect more for this price. But I do NOT recommend it to a professional first responder, who often needs a reliable rescue knife. Boker makes some sweet knives but their Magnum line of rescue knives is pure junk.
    I know, that finding a good aussie legal rescue knife isn't an easy task, but I think you would be better suited with a spring loaded punch and trauma shears combo, than this knife. Just my 4.46 hungarian forints (that's exactly two cents at today's conversion rate:p )
    Other than that, nice review, but next time more pictures, like in this review!:D;)
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thanks for your feedback. My ideal knife is a Gerber Hinderer but they're hard to find/almost illegal here!
    • In Omnia Paratus

Also AWESOME link!

toemke Loaded Pockets

Hah, I just had to toot my own horn ;). I think the ideal rescue knife is a toss between the benchmade triage and the victorinox rescue tool, if you want an EDCable blade as well, otherwise a spyderco assist. If you want a pulldown cutter benchmade cutting hooks (like on the triage) are unbeatable, but straight serrated blunt tip beltcutters are more reliable. Give the victorinox rescue tool a try, it should be legal in Australia (well, at least I found australian websites selling it) and there is even a version available without the one-hand opening blade.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Benchmade Triage isn't legal here nor is any knife with an assist :( Silly Australian Knife Laws. Where did you find the victorinox rescue tool link?

toemke Loaded Pockets