1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Analog vs digital

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Warfusion, Jan 4, 2013.

archimedes Loaded Pockets

I always thought that YES Watch seemed interesting....
    zeppo likes this.

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I am an analog man.

In the main part, it comes down to aesthetics and availability - there is a far greater range of styles and types of watch out there in the analog format so I have been able to get a few watches that I really like that I have just never seen an equivalent to in the digital form - The Citizen BN0000 diver and BV1085 pilots watches I own for example I have yet to really see any alternative to in digital form.

There are some things that are just tricky to accomplish well on an analog watch though - the more esoteric features found on watches like the Casio pathfinders and g shocks such as altimeters, temperature sensors and tide graphs for example are very simple on a digital display, but far more awkward to put within an analog. So perhaps not everyday wear for me, but I do have a couple with specific purpose.

Beyond that they do seem to have different styles of timekeeping - analog is ideal for comparing times such as telling you roughly how long you have left before you leave the house by quickly and easily comparing positions on the dial. Digital on the other hand is much easier to read precisely but takes that fraction longer to figure out, rather than a quick glance to tell me I have just over ten minutes to go, a short burst of mental arithmetic will tell me I have exactly 12 minutes and 24 seconds to go...
    comma8 comma1 likes this.

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Solar Baby!
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Ok I have a nice test I go analog too but love the tokyoflash watches cant tell me most of those are ugly or uncool

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Casio Gshock MTG-1000RB

SALT Loaded Pockets

I am usually concerned about major time marker, I have a 10am meeting, or I am presenting something that ends at 1/4 past. I find analog most faster to read if you're not concerned with exact time. Plus they look much better.

I do have some gshock a and running watches around that get plenty of use too though.

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I almost exclusively wear digital G-Shocks because they're tough, easy for me to read the exact time at a glance and have other useful functions. A battery change costs me about £2 roughly every 3 to 5 years. I do love a nice looking analogue tough, and have a Seiko BM and an Eco-Drive chrono. It feels good to throw on one of my analogues on occasions.
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

G-Shock Tough solar for working outside (precision, exact time for checking late operating transit)

Casio Lineage Solar for office. Digital watches are so 80's.

LoneStarJosh Loaded Pockets

Gorgeous!
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Both. Casio has analog solar with digital. Check out the S800WD-1EV. Wearing one right now.
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Here's my Lineage:
    [IMG]
    Solar, Atomic set, dual TZ, stopwatch, alarm.

Sarky Loaded Pockets

This was my 'grail' watch for a couple of years. It was just too expensive, and quite hard to find. I'll be wearing analogue a lot more if I ever get one. :)

[IMG]
    Warfusion likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Looks good. Nice blend of the two.

Sent from my Android toothbrush!

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Yes, the top MR-G series are beautiful watches as well but they are even more expensive than the already high-priced MT-G series (for a Casio watch that is). For that kind of money you can also buy yourself a nice vintage auto Omega AND a more 'regular' G-shock so you actually have something to wear on a suit but also have something you're not afraid to beat the heck out of (i sure know i would not wear a MR-G whilst working on my car)....
    Warfusion likes this.

Hellz Loaded Pockets

I'm a combi fan: I like to be able to glance at the analogue hands for ease, but also use the countdown timer of the digital.

I'm currently using a Timex Expedition (My EDC Thread) which has served me admirably, but I feel the need for change...

Trouble is I am having trouble finding a new watch that I like that fits the bill. I love loads of the G-Shocks, but with only 7.25" wrists I think most of them would look silly on me :(
    Warfusion likes this.

generationlost Loaded Pockets

I wore digitals when I was younger, but I now prefer analogs.

It's easier for me to visualize how late/early I am and how much time I have by looking at the relative positions of the hands rather than the actual time.
    comma8 comma1 and Warfusion like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd Loaded Pockets

I know you can hardly wait to move back to the bus side so you can sit in a van doing time checks all day long... :D
    Warfusion likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I do 2 hours of time checks each day I am in the field. (Nothing else to do.) Usually sitting in your neighborhood.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

I prefer analog, and I'll go a step further and say I prefer mechanical analog watches with simple, easy to read dials. For example, I'd never own a chronograph, because I think they look too cluttered and busy, and I have no use for them. I do own one digital G-Shock that I wear to the gym, or while doing yard work sometimes, but overall, a clean analog dial can't be beat IMO.
    comma8 comma1 likes this.

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Digital is more easy to read for me. Analog is nicer looking and easier to read from a distance.