1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

AAA battery charger for iPhone

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by cap6888, Nov 10, 2012.

• In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

I am looking for a backup battery charger for my iphone. I would really prefer it to use AAA batteries so I can continue only having to carry one size. The only one I have seen is the Griffin Tunejuice, but the reviews are not that great. Any suggestions?

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

Most i've seen are in AAs on brands like GP and Energizer. Goodluck in your quest!

shrap Loaded Pockets

Do you really need it to use AAA batteries?

I've been pretty happy with a Monoprice external battery pack. I was also looking for an external battery charger that took normal batteries, but I found this easier and cheaper.
    mooshisho likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Yes. I know I can easily pick up one that uses AA ones, but I want to only carry one size battery as spares.

shrap Loaded Pockets

My suggestion doesn't take AAA or AA batteries. It is basically a large battery that charges/can be charged.
    mooshisho likes this.

tso Loaded Pockets

nuphoria likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Tso! I can't believe I didn't think of that! I have been thinking about the Goal Zero stuff for my camping gear, that would be perfect!

CasperEDC Loaded Pockets

• In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Casper-

What solar charger do you use? I have been looking at the Goal Zero one, but that one from Deal Extreme would save me some money.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

The best ones to go for are the usb charged ones.

tso Loaded Pockets

Note that the dx.com charger only outputs 500mA via the usb port. The Goal Zero charger delivers 1000mA, so it would charger a compatible phone (recent iPhones will be just that) faster.
    nuphoria likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Ahhhhh, there's the rub. I think I need 1000mA for my iPad. Back to Goal Zero then.

tso Loaded Pockets

Yea, i think the Guide 10+ is the only device that can both output 1000mA and take AAA batteries (via the insert).

The closest other i know about is the Tekkeon MP1580, but that one only takes AA.

CasperEDC Loaded Pockets

I have 2 6W 12v panels one by sunlinq and one by ICP. Got them both new on ebay one for $30 and the other for $45... They use the same connectors and can be daisy chained to increase output. One is in my BOB and the other is in the wife's. Went with 12v so I can use standard auto adapters and trickle charge 12v automotive batteries (if needed).

My battery pack is a 4 x 18650 battery box (from ebay), The AA/AAA charger is just charge the batteries for use in devices. This is because the 18650 battery box is the same size as the AA battery box but holds 4x the power...

[IMG]

Not my pics but this is what they look like:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Last edited by CasperEDC, Nov 12, 2012
    nuphoria likes this.

reppans Loaded Pockets

What model? 4 AA Eneloops will only put about 25% into an iPad 2 and around 12% into an iPad3. Probably charge an iPhone 1.5-2x.

I though you wanted to use AAAs, which only have about 40% the capacity of a AA.

[IMG]
    mooshisho likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Primarily, it is for my iPhone, but in a bind, maybe my iPad.

reppans Loaded Pockets

My guess would be that 4xAAAs will not have the current to supply 1amp required for iPads from the GZ guide 10plus - maybe 0.5A to the iPhone. Alks also cannot supply as much current as NiMh.

I personally EDC an iGo PowerXtender for my iPhone... 2xEneloop AAs are good for about 80% charge, and I can use the Eneloops in my EDC flashlight, or radio.
    • In Omnia Paratus

zebedee Loaded Pockets

Not sure if this is what you are after and I don't have any experience with them but have a look at Powertraveller solar chargers. They look pretty interesting and the chargers have adapters that can charge various devices.